been asked to build amps for a non profit!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by humboldt31, Feb 4, 2012.

1. humboldt31

humboldt31 Member

Hey everyone, I've been asked to build 8-10 amps for a non-profit music program, my fiance works for my towns resource center. She's a piano/guitar player has a strong music theory back ground and a masters in education and has put together a parent child music learning program along with organizing a jam night for adults. We live in a pretty rural mtn. Town we have a lot of poverty and substance abuse so it's really cool. We have instruments but could use some amps and since I'm the electrician they asked me to do it and I'm more than happy to do it.
    My question is about the torres 8 5e3 5f1 for $375. Is it worth it? I havnt't seen a lot of positive feedback. Am I better off getting a parts list and schematic for those circuits for a similar price? Again I'm pricing for 8-10 amps or if done right will the torres be a nice amp. I'll build the cabinets myself and was looking at some of the weber 8" speakers. Any feedback would be great and any recommendations where I can get schematic and parts to build the amps would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you

2. champster

champster Member

I would suggest you check out the Weber kits. For $415.00 you can get the complete kit with cab and speaker. You'll also get real service which you will not get with Torres. There is a lot of positive feed back about Weber.

3. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

How cool would it be if one of the big players (weber, mojo, etc) donated the parts?

4. chequepoint

chequepoint Member

Kits are cost effective primarily due to the consolidation of shipping and the small amount of parts you are buying.
    Because you are purchasing 10 amps worth, it may be more effective for you to source parts yourself, etc. OR at least negotiate a discount with the kit maker.

5. humboldt31

humboldt31 Member

We have some funding the weber kits 8 at $415 is more than twice I'm working with. The torres I could put together with a weber Chicago series 8" ceramic speaker for around $200 amp.

6. humboldt31

humboldt31 Member

I thought I could probably source it myself cheaper. Any site recommendations for parts list and parts?

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

You can buy scads of used amps for less money.

8. humboldt31

humboldt31 Member

Well I'd liked to actually build some amps had been thinking about a project then this came up perfect excuse for me to try my hand at builing some amps and No they'll be high quality