Been messing with the Kingsley Jouster...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by harpinon, May 23, 2011.

1. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

...and REALLY liking it!
    I have messed with cheaper "tube" pedals before, but not until getting this have I had this much great tone to deal with.

There are many regular OD's that can sound similar, but the nuance is there once you really take it through the paces. 2 12ax7 preamp tubes.
    It has 2 channels and each one has 3 settings. The first is lighter with a bit of "bite". The second has more mids and a fuller tonal range. The 3rd one is for creamy tube saturation. It works well with Lesters, strats and Teles. Gives them all a rich, full sound.
    I like the #1 OD setting with the gain at 9:00 for a bit of hair on my clean tone. The second channel is for solos and thicker grit. There I use the #2 setting.
    The EQ dial is smooth and not very drastic. Sounds great in all spots.
    Unity is at about 11:00 on the Vol knob. This thing can really get loud and goose an amp into the zone when required.

It's pricey, but I'm finding it nearly as tweakable as the Empress multi drive only with more touch sensitivity and overall sound.

Anyone else have experience with this?

2. Nathan

Nathan Member

Hells yes. I can't understand why it doesn't get much mention online. It's off the hook and IMO appears more versatile than Jestr or Minstrel. I put JJ ECC803S in mine. It's big & heavy and needs a wall wart but honestly I have not heard better tone from a pedal. Well it's more of a preamp isn't it? Forget the rest.

LOVE your signature BTW!

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  3. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I've been lovin' my Jouster for about a year now. It has spoiled me for most any other pedal. I have two Amperex labeled Mullard 12AX7s in mine. Channel one is set with the switch in position one and gain around 1:00 (my guitars neutral position is with the volume and tone set on 8 or so, so it's less dirt that you would think). Channel two is for singing leads, switch in position 1, gain around 3:00, tone 1:00 volume around 9:00. The tone is so natural and responsive to pick and volume changes.

I also run a DIY COT type pedal (dirty boost to push the amp or channel 1 of the jouster), a germanium boost (flat solo boost with a bit of hair), and a Banzai Cold fusion set for a very low gain solo boost with some added mids (probably coming off the board soon though). I could probably do without those if the Jouster had presets!

4. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

I like the way you think Blues Lyne!
    Dirt is an intregal part of great tone and its nice to have lots of options there.
    I own 5 pedal boards. Each for specific sound/guitar combo's. The one with the Jouster is pretty bare bones 'cause it sounds sooooooooooooo good!