Been on a Hilary Hahn jag lately...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by spamassassain, Mar 27, 2015.

1. spamassassain

spamassassain Member

This woman just blows me away for her violin playing.

We've probably all heard Paganini 24th Caprice played by a variety of people on a variety of instruments. So the first 1/3 of the video is her playing that piece, extremely well.

But check out from 4:35 on, where she plays it again but with a completely different set of variations!

2. KRosser

KRosser Member

A terrific player - she does my favorite version of the Barber concerto

3. spamassassain

spamassassain Member

I need to hear that version, several people have mentioned it to me. Love the Barber concerto! Two gorgeous movements then wham - the blazing shredding last movement. Got to play it with a local soloist last year - wow.

4. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

Big fan ever since I heard her Bach Partitas For Solo Violin. What a talented woman !

5. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Hilary is one of my musical heroes.
    Her version of the Schoenberg Concerto is just jaw dropping.
    I also love the album of Ives sonatas she did with pianist Valentina Lisitsa.
    I hope she does another album of solo Bach at some point.

I admire her willingness to try different things (the all improv album with Hauschka, the recent album of "Encores" where she held a contest and chose the 27th piece for the album from submissions by unknown composers), as well as her readings of the classics.

I've seen her play twice, and count them among my favorite live music experiences.

Can you tell i'm a fanboy? ;)

6. spamassassain

spamassassain Member

I'm becoming quite the fanboi myself - her Youtube videos with various orchestras just blow me away. Her command of the material is staggering! All from memory, and not a NOTE out of place!! Just complete mastery. Very amazing, for sure.

I would go this far: if she keeps at it, she will be among the greats to ever play the instrument.

7. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

8. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I saw her live several years ago, and it was marvelous. I forget the piece, but she began a long legato line at the absolute front end of her bow. This beautiful line continued, and the last note gently faded just as she reached the very end of her bow length. I'm not sure why that image has stayed with me, but as I watched her do it, I thought to myself, "Man, what a master."