Been trying to nail the Countdown to Extinction tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TornadoOfSouls, May 17, 2008.

1. TornadoOfSouls

TornadoOfSouls Member

What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2AKeZD0shA

I'm not too good at recording so I use my Camcorder to try and record sound. It's not perfect but should be decent enough for you guys to give me some feedback.

2. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

you still recording with a camera mic? Doesnt sound bad, but I dont think CTE tone when I hear it.

3. TornadoOfSouls

TornadoOfSouls Member

Man, I was hoping there'd be more folks from HC on here, I think my account is still locked LOL

Yeah, I've been trying to get the whole mic placement and stuff down but I just can't get it.

4. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

You've got the playing and style nailed down, but the tone is off. To me, Mustaine's tone is all about agression and tube saturation. You're close on the agression factor, but you need way more tube saturation to get that sound.

5. TornadoOfSouls

TornadoOfSouls Member

Really?

Mustaine has used the VHT 2150 for a long span of time, so there should only be preamp saturation in his tone and there isn't much in the Bogner Triple Giants and CAE +3.

Maybe it would sound better on the mic :(

6. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Sorry for confusing you. When I use "tube saturation" I'm really just using a blanket term for a very saturated, "wet" sound. I really think of Van Halen when I think tube saturation, that's my benchmark for all levels of tube saturation.

7. TornadoOfSouls

TornadoOfSouls Member

Sorry man, I'm still a little lost. :banana

What do you mean by "wet" sound?

I'm not good with a lot of terms in regards to tone. All I know is bass, mids and treble. :RoCkIn

8. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

That's all right, I don't mind explaining my crazy way of describing tone. The amount of "wetness" a tone has, to me, is the product of a couple of factors. Part of it is tube saturation, it takes a good bit of gain for something to sound "wet" to my ears. The larger part of it has to do with effects. Once again, I'll use VH as an example. Most of the time Eddie used a little bit of flange, and maybe even some delay or tremelo. That give he tone that characteristic "wetness". So that VH isn't all you have as a benchmark, to me, Derek Trucks, Warren Haynes, and sometimes David Gilmour have a very "wet" sound. In my opinion it's a staple in a good metal sound.

9. TornadoOfSouls

TornadoOfSouls Member

Ah, thanks for that explanation.

Outstanding, that was just my preamp -> power amp -> cab.

I ordered a T.C. Electronics G-Force yesterday, and I'm hoping that will give me that extra edge I'm looking for.

In person the tone is very close especially harmonically but I do understand where you're coming from.

I do appreciate your feedback a lot though, thanks!

10. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

quit getting banned and it wont be locked :D

I say keep playing with the micing. I finally got it down after a couple of weeks of jacking with it. FWIW I think you have a bit too much in the way of mids to hit CTE, it isnt that middy or bassy.