Beetles hatching from my guitar!!!! Really...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jmcerlain, Mar 27, 2008.

1. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

:worried

About a year ago I bought a guitar made south of the border by a very large American manufacturer. No names yet until this gets resolved, but I think you know who I mean... Shortly after owning the guitar I noticed a small hole about the size of 0.07 pencil lead, I didn't think much of it, just a finish flaw no big deal. Lately I found a few more, ( 8 total all on the body) and a fine dust on my guitar stand, needless to say this was strange. So I call a very good friend who is very well known in the biz and he says it sounds like a bug exiting the body, he was right. Say hello to what appears to be the Powderpost beetle. Holy crap!

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef616.asp

I have found a few of these suckers around a light in my studio. I called the big name guitar company and they told me to bring it to the local service center (Terminex?). They were very nice but wanted to check if the bugs weren't entering the body ( through poly?) as opposed to leaving it. I will do that this week, right now the guitar is in a plastic bag in the closet. I certainly hope these guys haven't made themselves at home in my house of else we will have a problem. I am not bashing the company at this point, stuff happens and as long as they replace the guitar and hopefully that will be the end of it infestation wise all will be fine. I'll keep you all informed as to what happens, but has this every happened to any of you?

I have the heebie jeebies.

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Google powderpost beetles...that's one possibility.

3. Lexridge

Lexridge Member

I too would have the heebie jeebies. Weird man!!! How many of these beetles were around your light? I would think you would have at least 8 of them somewhere. I think I would also bill this "big name company" for a visit from an exterminator who knows what to use against this type of pest. Better safe than sorry.

Lexridge

4. jmcerlain

jmcerlain Member

I meant to type Powderpost beetle. I have found a number of them, I cleaned up some a little while ago before I figured out what was up, there must have been 20 in total or more. I have saved a number of them as evidence, I haven't seen any live ones. Fortunately (for me personally) this has mostly happened at my rented studio where I work out of and mostly keep that guitar. My house is over a 125 years old with lots of very expensive hardwoods so my wife and I are a little concerned. I leave that guitar there most of the time so I don't have to carry one with me all the time. BUT the guitar has been at my home many times.

I will also discuss an exterminator bill with them, after all this is not my doing.

5. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

I've had Beatles come out of my guitar, and my mouth too!

6. bynt

bynt Member

Ewww. I feel for you. I've got the creeps right now just thinking about it. Good luck with it.

7. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Oh man.... that's definitly something I don't want hapenning to my guitars. Perhaps they may add resonance to the sound ? i can see it now - specially reliced Powderpost Beetle guitar for sale. Natural chambered body as nature intended it to be.

8. uberpict

uberpict Member

A self relicing guitar! :AOK Hopefully you'll get your money back or a replacement, that's pretty f##k'ed up. :BITCH

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

Put it on ebay described as a REAL beetles guitar! :D

Seriously, I have never heard of such a thing happening, but thinking about it, I'd guess it's not as uncommon as you'd think. Is this a hollow guitar?

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Not yet...

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

11. Kappy

Kappy Member

"holey" crap!

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

How could they survive through the manufacturing, or is it that they infest it after it's made? I'd think they'd be trapped in the plastic finish and suffocate. Wow. I gots the jeebies too.

13. HHB

HHB Member

anything that can bore through that poly is a stout lil bug

14. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

That is crazy. I think in the meantime I would try to bugbomb that room just in case.
    And we want pics!

15. jtees4

jtees4 Member

Holy crap! I am 50 and lived thru the 60's and 70's and thought I heard it all...but that is a new one! Good luck. Put the thing in the garage and go get your money back OR call the local news station and see how fast you get a new guitar.

16. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yup!

17. stuagu

stuagu Member

bag em up & someone will buy em on ebay! for their relic strat tweed case? i remember seeing "authentic lifton case dust "once on ebay & it still makes me laugh now. i just get mine out of me belly button every month & even experts couldnt tell that its not genuine.
    seriously, best wishes with this, its a nightmare!

18. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Wow....sounds like a Gwar stage show.

19. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

Bit of hippie advice here....citronella oil is a safe, organic way to permanently discourage the little bastards. Violin makers in Europe sometimes go this route to combat what they call woodworm, which I think is a different beast but which produces similar powdery little holes. Nothing with more than two legs will stick around when there's citronella there. Hell, I don't like it either, but some find it a pleasing scent. Sorta citrusy, not surprisingly. Cheers,

Rob

20. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Other than the financial side if it, it would give me the urge to want to build a fire.