Before I buy a Alesis Quadraverb, more questions about effect units

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by g335, Feb 4, 2010.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

I am going to buy a used Alesis Quadraverb, the one from the 90's. Before I buy this, will any of the multi effect rack units(gforce too) out today do the same sounds and more? Or do I have to buy the Alesis Quadraverb to get those effects that it is known for?

Help

2. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

Not sure how determined you are to have those effects but those units are noisy. I'm pretty sure you can get something that does 4 plus effects that is modern and clean.

3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

Do NOT buy a quadraverb... or any Alesis effect box.

4. ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP Supporting Member

If you're going for the washy/huge/long-tailed reverbs, the Quardaverb excels at that. Some very succesfull bands still use them because of that more gritty/low-fi sound. I know a Quadraverb, was used for most of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's vocals, on their first two albums.

5. buddachile

buddachile Member

I have a Quadraverb 2 if you're interested.

6. g335

g335 Member

I asked before about getting sounds similar to Lush, Cocteau Twins, Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Curve, etc and I was pointed in the direction of the Quadraverb. I want to have clean effects and very analog sounding effects. I am going to buy delay pedals too. I will use pedals also for other effects and overdrive and distortion

If there are other units that can get me these sounds please tell me which ones. I do not want a super sterile clean sound. I want to be able to do delay to delays and long lush reverbs and swirls and delay drenched overdrive and reverb drench overdrive and things like that and more.
    Chorus warm and clean sounding, etc. I do not want it to sound like a bad sounding digital cheapo effects unit. I can hear digital artifacts good and I hate effects where you can hear the digital crap easily.

I do not want to have to spend too much money on one unit. I would like to be able to use it for live too.
    Help

7. rickmebe

rickmebe Member

check out a used lexicon mpx 1...

8. archtop

archtop Member

If you do want one, make sure you don't get the quadraverb GT (with the guitar preamp built in), get a straight quadraverb instead. They can be a bit noisy. The reverb is kinda decent. You can do some cool stuff like choose the effect order, and some funky internal patching so you have chorused delay and unchorused reverb etc.

9. g335

g335 Member

I will try to find and read about the Lexicon MPX-1.

Are there any other units I might want to try? Gforce? Gmjor, Gminor? any digitech stuff? Other Alesis stuff?

I do not have to buy the Quadraverb but if that is what I need than I will.

I will not pull the trigger until Sat.

How noisy is the Quadraverb and will it sound "dated" and cheap compared to todays effects?

10. DemoColorScheme

DemoColorScheme Member

Like I've said in your former thread;
    you need to experiment. There's never a way to 'just' recreate sounds. The QuadraVerb does those old reverbs but yes, are rather noisy.

You obviously want to go the cheap and fast way. You can't expect a QuadraVerb to do everything. You can use it for the reverbs and subtle modulation but it will NOT do a Deluxe Electric Mistress, etc.

For multi-FX's in this genre, check:
    - Yamaha FX500
    - KORG A3

A friend of mine recently got the FX500 and I've heard clips of him which sound REALLY nice. It's a rather typical Dream Pop/Shoegaze sound. It's the rack slowdive used a lot so therefore gets you those sounds pretty easily.

If you want to go expensive etc. Get the other recommendations you've gotten in your initial thread.

11. chart #3

chart #3 Member

Does the Quadraverb produce more extreme reverbs than a MicroVerb 4 or MidiVerb 4? or are they all pretty much equal in that respect?

12. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

I went through most of the Quadraverbs, from the original up to the short-lived Q20 which I still have. The early Quads were noisy, but I think the Q20 eliminated that issue. It also had a number of features that were a step up from the earlier versions -- check the specs.
    Bert

13. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

Weird. I have had a quadraverb since 1990 or 1991, which I used to replace a Roland rack delay and before that lexicon. I have had it in the effects loop of my Boogie and use it for various delays, some delay and hall type reverb to get big neil Young sounds from the Weld era, and occasionally some of the modulation like phase. I would never call it noisey. maybe i got lucky or maybe it's the effects loop, i don't know....

it's a bit of a pain to manipulate live though and I am slowly replacing it with pedals...

14. Grenville

Grenville Member

I used to have one, it was very noisy if I tried setting any of the internal equalizers, graphic or parametric. I kept the eq flat and all was fine.

15. GTRICH

GTRICH Member

I used to have the GT, it sucked major donkey.

16. oxtone

oxtone Member

I used a Quadraverb for a few years - then it developed a short in one channel. Since I used a stereo rack system then, it was taken out of the rack, and I replaced it with a Rocktron Replifex, which is very cool. I've never had a problem with the Replifex, but the Quadraverb went bad after a few years.
    I thought it sounded good, and don't recall it being noisy.

17. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I think your satisfaction will depend a lot on the equipment you use in conjunction with it, and how you get on with programming it. If you have a really bright amp and speakers the Alesis is going to be somewhat grainyon the decay and a bit noisy. I much prefer the ancient Rocktron Intellifex personally. I never tried the latter versions of the Quadraverb though, only the early one.

If you have a darker setup, it will be fine. Just about any digital reverb will go long. People have different ideas about what sounds good and how it works musically. I tend to use delays or pre-delays pretty short then on up into hundreds of milliseconds, and then let the reverb go onto that first reflection. Then the pick attack stays pretty unaltered. I also like to roll off the highs in both delays and reverbs. It's just personal preference.

I had a lot of trouble using a G-major. Sounded great clean but I couldn't get happy with it with dirty sounds and my sound was lost in live situations with it. YMMV but spend a bunch of time working with them before you give up, or pass any judgement. Good luck!