Before I give up! (Pedal problem)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TD Moyer, Mar 10, 2008.

1. TD Moyer

TD Moyer Member

I recently bought a pedal in the Emporium from a stand-up seller but...the pedal isn't working properly. Before I send it back to the seller (who is being very cool about the whole thing) I thought I'd post this here in case I've overlooked something fundamental or if someone has a solution...

I always plug every new pedal in by itself to put it through it's paces...gtr>cable>pedal>cable>amp. In this case, I plugged in, dry signal passes through, I kick on the pedal and ... nada ... no sound at all. Nice blue LED lights up but nooooo sound. Hmmm.

Checked the cables, checked the battery, the terminals, the connections...all fine. No luck still. So I take out the battery & plug back in using my Juicebox to power the pedal...same scenario...passes signal when off..kick it on and no sound.

I did a search and this is the closest I came to finding anything resembling my issue;
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-153255.html

Any ideas?

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

This is a dumb piece of advice, but maybe the volume/gain/mix/level/etc. knobs are all the way down when you engage the pedal? I know that sounds stupid, but I've done that like 8 million times and thought the pedal was broken.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have a couple pedals where the input/output jacks are reversed. So the input jack is on the left and the output jack is on the right for some reason. On my two pedals like this, it also just so happens that they'll still pass signal if I hook up the cables backwards. But then, of course, signal is lost when I try to engage the effect.

I apologize that these sound like dumb things you've probably already checked 100 times, but it's all I can think of. :)

3. TD Moyer

TD Moyer Member

On the contrary - good advice. I had even tried those earlier as well...

4. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Could just be a switch gone bad. If that's the problem, no biggee.

5. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

What pedal is it? I might be able to help you if I know what it is.

6. TD Moyer

TD Moyer Member

Cmatmods Deeelay. In pristine shape...former owner reports no problems with it like I'm having. He'll take it back but I'd obviously like to hang on to it if now 'surgery' is involved. Thanks!

7. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

Could be a switch problem. Make sure all the wires are making contact with their corresponding lugs. Might wanna check all the wires to the circuit board

Also, unlikely, but possible, it could be a dead component or something shorting out against the enclosure/leads etc.

8. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Is there any chance that a socketed component could come loose during shipping, or am I speaking through my ring? Presumably with the Deelay that would only be the ICs, and it is very unlikely that they would come loose.

Can't hurt to press it down though (don't touch it with your fingers - use something non-conductive like wood or plastic to press it down gently).

Possibly an email to Chad - he may have a suggestion.

9. starfish

starfish Member

It sounds like the switch. Is it a standard true bypass stomp switch? Try switching it on and off 10-15 times in succession and see if you can get signal to pass.

IME, This problem is typical of blue 3pdt and taiwan x-wing switches. Yes, it goes to the other side, but one side has an intermittent or flat out bad connection, the poles are F#%$ed. It's more typical for a bad switch to fail to pass signal intermittently than it is for the switch to stick and not go to the other side. Besides the battery, the switch is the most failure prone component in a build due to the mechanical nature of moving parts. YMMV, try and let us know.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Except...the switch is "working" in that it obviously goes over to it's other position, hence the no sound, and the LED goes on.
    The first thing to do, don't use power supply, get a known good battery in it, open up the back, sniff for burning smell, get a magnifying glass and go over it like you were a moon lander scoping out the moon...I mean every centimeter, look especially at solder joints, cables...look for loose connections..

One can't be sure, but a couple of things to consider, off it passes signal so your cables are okay, as is the through connections, switch does something (maybe not all it should, but is moves the connections) and even the blue LED comes on, which indicates the switch IS working.

I think this is a slightly more involved problem. If the IC's are socketed it is a good idea to push them in a little again (checking that all legs are IN the socket), after that...do you have a voltmeter? If yes, you can trace maybe to where voltage is 0, etc.

I once did troubleshooting on my Jekyll and Hyde, by taking out the battery and ohming (ohm setting on a voltmeter) between ALL traces, and lucked out finding a broken trace, so I soldered a wire from where the trace started to where it ended and it fixed it.

11. TD Moyer

TD Moyer Member

Great suggestions all! I really appreciate the help.

12. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Open it up and play with it on and tap things a big and see if it has a loose connection somewhere.

13. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

Can't help more but to say that stompbox is right about the switch working. I had this problem with my phase 90. . . only to realize I didn't even HAVE a battery in it:jo So. . . the switch WORKS.

Good luck and report back.