Begginer in modelling gear trying to decide

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Elendur, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Elendur

Elendur Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a begginer in the modelling world and I need some help trying to decide.
    I'm currently playing with a Marshall DSL 401 at home. Nice tones and playable thanks to the master volume, but I'm looking for some modelling gear.
    I also have Bias FX at the computer trough a cheap pc speakers (40$). Poor quality, but enough to practice.

I've been searching and researching for a long time but I can't make a decision.
    I want something small and also

I want something easy to set up, to play at home, and good with clean, low gain tones with some reverb/delay and I'm considering these options:

1. Small amp: Vox adio, Yamaha THR, Blackstar ID20/40
    2. Multi FX trough Marshall and small speakers: boss gt1, zoom g3n / g5n, Zoom g1on, old POD, POD pocket, etc.

These are different solutions but what is better in terms of sound quality and versatility?
    Is there a Multi FX that you recommend over the rest?

Thanks in advance!

2. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

How much do you have to spend?
    What kind of music? How many effects do you tend to use at a time—max?
    Just to use for home, for practice, with no friends over for a 'jam?'
    Why are you looking for modeling? What's 'missing' from the Marshall?
    Are you saying the Bias FX is poor quality, or the cheap speakers are poor quality? Why not just upgrade speakers to something like the JBL monitors?

Watt McCo and Viabcroce like this.
  3. Baker18

Baker18 Gold Supporting Member

I have several tube amps I love, but my digital rig is the HX effects into a Katana Artist.

4. Ejay

Ejay Member

If your keeping the DSL..think twice about the amps you mentioned....prob wont be beter powersections then what u have!

Maybe an fx or modeling unit would be smarter shopping.

If you wanna keep using your computer....you can switch cabs of...and plug your computer into the return of your combo.

Standalone unit....depends on your needs and budget.
    On a budget, check mooer, headrush and helix units for modeling.

Effectunit to go with your amp, check ms3, switches your amp, pedals, good effects, and also great as a midi controler for any future digital ventures.

5. riffy

riffy Member

Fender Mustang is GREAT for what you describe!

Dark Matter and J4zz like this.
  6. JerEvil

JerEvil Member

Hmmm... the Yamaha stuff is great. Maybe something like the the Yamaha or Boss Katana if you want an amp. I think the Digitech RP1000 was cool and had decent effects. The Zoom stuff seems solid enough and there are the new Mooer and Hotone units as well which are about $300 USD I think.

If your budget is a little higher you can look at the Helix HX Stomp, HeadRush Gigboard or Amplifire

csweldon likes this.
  7. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Member

I’ve been trying a lot of small (or smallish) amps for home use lately, including a number with variable wattage that allows you to really dial down the volume and still get good tone. I enjoyed several of them, in particular the Bkackstar Club MKIi amps. Great cleans and genuine tube distortion, plus all the bells and whistles. Even has a headphone output for silent playing.

But in the end that is still a stage amp, and not ideal for truly low volume home playing. Enter the Vox Adio. Tried it tonight almost as an afterthought, and may well have found what I’m looking for. Not a giggable amp by any means, but for practice at home with family and neighbors to consider, it’s kind of unbelievable. Outstainding clean, crunch, and rock tones, even at whisper-quiet volumes. Probably not as strong for metal tones, but it’s at least passable. I’ll be buying one for sure.

8. Elendur

Elendur Member

Hi, thanks everyone for the answers and suggestions. I'm going to try to comment on each of your ideas:

I'm in a budget. Maybe 200-300€ (i'm from Europe)
    Home and practice use or maybe jam at home with a friend. Some effects and amps simulation.
    I love clean tone and low gain with some reverb/delay, but also classic rock tones.
    The most important thing is something "plug and play", with nice presets, standalone (no smartphone or pc) but also that I can explore and create some tones.

On the one hand, I'm looking for versatility and mobility. Something that I can move around the house like the Vox Adio/THR
    On the other hand, I can spend the money in a more specific Multi FX unit. I've been reading TGP for a long time and I'm REALLY GASsed with threads about Helix, Axe, etc. Plus is easy to move around.
    Helix Stomp or HeadRush Gigboard are really good options if a decide to go on the pedal route, but maybe in the future. Or maybe it's worth saving money...

The Marhsall is fine. I love the warm, big sound from a tube amp with a 12" speaker but I really want experiment with amp sims and effects and some versatility. I have the pc speakers at the PC, ant the Marshall in the living room, so i cant move the Multi FX from one room to another. For these reason I also prefer a Multi FX in the FX return on the amp over a new big amp (like Boss Katana, etc).

JBL monitors will be a future purchase for recording, so It could be a great idea also with the Multi FX unit.

Ideally, a Fender Mustang gt40 could be a great option for me. Small, you can put it on the desk. With a lot of options. Bigger speakers than vox adio. I want to love this thing but you know, the reviews...

Having said all this, maybe I've narrowed down the search to two options:
    1. Vox adio (or another little amp)
    2. Multi FX through 12" or speakers (upgradable in the future both FX and speakers).
    Or maybe both the Vox Adio and the Helix HX stomp:beer

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  9. djk67

djk67 Member

For home playing and relatively low to medium volume the Yamaha THR series are hard to beat. Absolutely love my Yamaha THR10X. Great tones and feel, with great effects. I had a Boss Katana before and ended up selling it. The Yamaha IMO kills it.

10. Elendur

Elendur Member

I had doubts about the size of the speakers in the THR/Adio. Also I was considering the Boss Katana because of the 12", lightweight and modelling. So this opinion is really helpful.

Yeah, I have spent the last year searching for something nice sounding for home use: small valve amp, valve amp with master volume (really nice but big and heavy), Boss Katana (again) o amps modellers like Vox VTX.
    But I want something small with good sound. So I have to try the Vox, maybe is the better solution for me.

11. Fireproof

Fireproof Supporting Member

Your ears are going to tell you what’s best for you.

For an all-I’m-one modeling amp, I love the Boss Katana Artist. Sounds awesome at all volumes. Gets a lot of high praise.

To me - it serves a diffeeent purpose than the THR10. The THR10 makes a nice practice or end table amp. The Katana isn’t as portable but will hang with a drummer and can be gigged with. Both are great. Just depends on what you are looking for.

12. Elendur

Elendur Member

But the gt40?
    Or the previous v2 models?

13. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

If you want to hang on to the Marshall, you should try an HX Stomp, or similar. You can run the Stomp into the power section of the Marshall via the effects return, and use all the great amps/preamps/effects of the Stomp.

Or, use the Marshall as normal with the Stomp in front, or in the loop supplying drives and other effects.

When you finally get around to upgrading your monitors, the Stomp can be run right into the computer.

Of course the HX Stomp is not the only option, just the first one that came to my mind. An Amplifirebox may get you there. Or an AA3, or GE200, or several others.

14. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

Buy a Zoom MS-50G, continue to play through the poweramp of your Marshall, and thank me later.

Watt McCo likes this.
  15. Watt McCo

Watt McCo Supporting Member

I think there are two options that make sense: (1) put the money into a decent set of speakers for your computer and S-Gear and continue using your computer for this purpose or (2) a standalone modeler to run into the effects return of your Marshall.

16. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

Yes, I don’t diasagree. OTOH if the OP only wants to get his feet wet....
    I for one love my 3 MS units (2x MS-50G + 1x MS-70CDR).

17. Emigre

Emigre Member

As you already know what you want:
    • Something small
    • Easy to set up
    • Play at home
    I would say a small practice amp. In addition to your choices also check out the Katana Air; it has a wireless guitar input so even fewer cables & faffing.

The floor modellers will offer a multitude of choices and A LOOPER. The choices aren't so important - the fewer choices in the practice amps sound just as good - but the looper is, as the small practice amps do not offer the possibility to connect a looper. Hence for me a looper would make the difference.

Getting a floor modeller and connecting it to the amp to me is a lot of faffing and fails the "easy to set up" requirement. It IS easy to set up, but if you want to go to the living room for an hour it's gonna be a lot of faffing around.

18. 71strat

71strat Member

Used Fender Cyber Twin.

19. Vintage Corpse Reviews

Vintage Corpse Reviews Member

modelling gear has no log term value
    it will be redundant in 5-10 years
    of course it depends on the application
    for me a vox adio would be more redundant than a gt1 or whatever multifx

I would wait until namm to see what pops up
    only 68 days left

20. Mooselake

Mooselake Member

I have a THR 10C that I've pressed into service as a poor man's FRFR for my Helix LT. For the first time in quite a while I plugged straight into the THR this morning, and at least for me with an earful of Helix over the last year or so, the THR 10C does deliver useful/musical tones in the clean/low-mid gain arena at around-the-house volumes. It will also take a boost/gain pedal pretty well (at least an OCD, only one I tried) The Adio looks like it has more tonal range (more amp style models) but I dunno how it sounds.