Beginner Book Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cnardone, Jun 1, 2015.

1. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

For whatever reason, I cannot seem to find what I am looking for through search. I am going to teach my 11 year old daughter to play guitar. Shockingly she asked if I can give her lessons instead of a 'teacher'. She loves to sing and is a strong singer (Proud Dad bragging: She got a perfect score on her nyssma level 2 vocal exam). I am hoping I can get far enough along that she can play some simple songs and sing. Once I've got her hooked, we can look at a real teacher. Or maybe I continue to teach her and learn a few things myself.

I've been playing guitar over 20 years but have not take a lot of lessons. But I've got a decent grasp of chords and scales. I was hoping for a good book(s) recommendation.

thanks for the help.

cmn

2. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

If she's got an iPad, check out the app "Yousician." I think it's much better than old-school guitar books. It teaches chords & single note runs (learning the fretboard) in a game-like environment. What I like best is that it works really well, unlike some other similar type of software I've tried. It picks up notes easily from an acoustic, gives feedback on timing, etc.

3. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

I would skip the physical book and try something like the songs taught online by Marty Schwartz ( https://www.youtube.com/user/youcanlearnguitar ) or Brett Papa ( https://www.youtube.com/user/papastache102 ) . Youtube is your friend when it comes to learning. They're probably the quickest, cheapest way to learn a song (simplified arrangements), and they have paid lessons as well. Songsterr is also a very good tab resource. If you can narrow down her preferred genre (acoustic, rock, metal, classical), we can narrow down our suggestions for you.

4. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Taylor Swift would be the only one to come to mind. I'll have to ask her for a couple more names though.