• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Beginner Guitar Bundle Advice

Papanate

I want to get my daughter a Acoustic Guitar bundle for Christmas.
After a few minutes research I was flummoxed - to many choices
with very little information with which to determine a good from bad
guitar. FYI I want to keep this at $200 and under.

Also FYI I have neither the patience nor time to go to 20 stores to play inexpensive
guitars. I want to buy online - and would prefer a Amazon experience. Some examples
I've seen casually because I had to be in the store:

Sam's Club - Peavey Bundle - couldn't play it - too high up. Looked okay?
CostCo - some cheap a** piece that depressed me.
Target - Some First Act guitar that had the remnants of 20 million grubby
sticky hands all over it.

Does anyone here have a recommendation? Maybe one you've bought for a young daughter
or nephew?

marktweedy

In Transit®
I bought a Daisy Rock for the young daughter of a then girlfriend. It was perfect: a "real" instrument geared to a young girl, at the right price.

Stardrake

If she's big enough to handle a dreadnought, a Yamaha Gigmaker kit is worth checking out--Yamaha always gives good value for money. The basic Gigmaker kit is usually around $150.00.

rwmct

If she is big enough to handle a full sized dreadnought, get the $200 Yamaha (the 800 model). Or, if you are trying to save a couple bucks, get the 700 model, which used to be $200 but now I have seen it for $149, since it is replaced by the 800 model. These guitars are very good value per dollar, and if she is still playing ten years down the road, she can keep it for a "beater" after she gets a Gibson or Martin or Guild . . .

FFking

Played a $200 ibanez drednaught pack that sounded fine about a week ago. Solid top guitar and all the fixings. Nice starter pack.

otaypanky

Play it like you mean it ~
Platinum Supporting Member
If I had a daughter and wanted to get her a guitar I'd make it a 'Daughter & Daddy' day and go out for lunch and some guitar shopping together.
Not as quick as online buying but a whole bunch of great memories for both of you ~
And I think it's great you're supportive of her interest in music, I thank my folks every day for theirs, 'just wish that I could still tell them face to face

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn't be looking at bundles exclusively. There should be plenty to choose from from Ibanez, Alvarez, Epiphone, etc. You'd be better off just running down to the local GC and talking to somebody down there.

Papanate

I ended up buying this: Epiphone Pr-4E Acoustic Guitar Bundle. They sure are packing
a lot of bang for the buck in these. That I can get an acoustic/Electric at this price
that has a Mahogony Body and Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, and Selected Spruce top
blows my mind. When I was my daughters age there wasn't anything like this at this price point.

I purchased the guitar on Amazon Prime - and it arrived Wednesday. And it's pretty
darn amazing for an inexpensive guitar.

stimpson

at that price point they are all pretty much the same

get one that looks cool --- the BC Rich Warlock pak

S1Player

The cheapest I would go on an acoustic and get one that is very playable is a used entry level Seagull S6. Then, I'd create my own "bundle" around that.

BTW - why a bundle? Beside the guitar - you need a couple picks and a tuner. Maybe a case if the guitar will be leaving the house to go to lessons.

Dave Shoop

Can you convince a child that they can get a used instrument for the $150.00 that would be much, much nicer than the new $150.00 guitar ? Do kids have to have "new" ? My two sons showed no interest in guitar or bass or any instrument so I didn't have this experience. They did OK with really great used golf clubs used.

hereandgone18

If I had a daughter and wanted to get her a guitar I'd make it a 'Daughter & Daddy' day and go out for lunch and some guitar shopping together.
Not as quick as online buying but a whole bunch of great memories for both of you ~
And I think it's great you're supportive of her interest in music, I thank my folks every day for theirs, 'just wish that I could still tell them face to face
This is easily the best advice that will be given in this thread.

bgmacaw

I'd say either the Daisy Rock or Ibanez 3/4 pack. There's also a Taylor Swift package around but I don't know the details on it.

DustyRhodesJr

I ended up buying this: Epiphone Pr-4E Acoustic Guitar Bundle. They sure are packing
a lot of bang for the buck in these. That I can get an acoustic/Electric at this price
that has a Mahogony Body and Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, and Selected Spruce top
blows my mind. When I was my daughters age there wasn't anything like this at this price point.

I purchased the guitar on Amazon Prime - and it arrived Wednesday. And it's pretty
darn amazing for an inexpensive guitar.

Good decision. Cant beat that one.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom