beginner introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bkrownd, Dec 1, 2017.

1. bkrownd

bkrownd Member

I just started guitar a month or so ago. (my practicing discipline is not quite up to speed yet) I took a few years of lute lessons 20 years ago in grad school, but I always struggled with fretting hand dexterity. I thought I'd eventually buy my own lute and take that up again, but the tropical humidity where I live now makes it impractical. I recently decided to give guitar a go, and see if I can recreate the sound of 1983. ;) I'd be happy to play simple rhythm stuff. Recently I descended into Gear Acquisition Syndrome:

I got a Gretsch Streamliner and a Yamaha THR10 amp to start with. I have to play quietly due to neighbors, and the semi-hollow Gretsch makes some decent sounds without amplification.

Then there was suddenly a beautiful Hamer USA Standard in the local music store, and I couldn't resist it. I have the strings off now for a full cleanup and some minor fixes.

I was having trouble fretting the steel strings on the Gretsch with my weak noob fingers, and it's a bit large as well, so I got a Cordoba "gui-lele" to make practicing a bit easier and more portable.

Finally on Black Friday I splurged on a Diamond Guitars Hailfire. I also got a GE-7 equalizer pedal and am interested in perhaps noodling with one of those "Marshall-in-a-box" pedals. Otherwise, at this point I need to stop gear shopping and get back to practiciing with all these toys. ;)

...and, one day I WILL get back to playing lute as well...

2. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Welcome to TGP.

Jim

3. RR59CMS

RR59CMS Member

Greetings from Colorado !! Yup, sounds like you got it bad.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

5. bkrownd

bkrownd Member

There's more noise than I expected after adding the (battery powered) GE-7 and ML-2 between my guitar and THR10 amp, using the cheap patch cables available to me. Are (new) cheap cables just minor tone suckers, or do they also add significantly to the noise level? Or...maybe the pedals will only work well with the AUX input (bypassing the pre-amp) on the THR10, which I haven't tried yet? The manual says that the noise gate function in the THR10 has to be accessed through the PC software and USB, which I'm not a fan of, so I may need to go back to the store and get a noise gate/suppressor pedal. Gear acquisition syndrome continues... :D

6. That70'sbro

That70'sbro Member

Sounds like you're off to good start GAS-wise