Beginner Multi Track Recorder Recommendation?

speedtaco

I want to start recording songs with my daughters, and be able to layer. I would love some suggestions on a good quality beginner multi track recorder. Nothing too expensive and easy to use are the only requirements. Also, should I get one with a cd burner? I really don't want to use one of those old tape types.

Thanks in advance!

335guy

If you're not planning on using a computer to record, then you'll want an all-in-one multi track stand alone recorder. There are some fairly basic models from Tascam and Zoom that should fit your needs. Both the Tascam DP-008EX and the Zoom R8 are compact, multi track recorders. Those don't have a built in cd burner but you can transfer files to a computer then burn them easily enough. All recorders have a learning curve. You have to learn the menu system. But the Tascam is probably the easiest to learn. I had an older Zoom model and it's menu was kinda convoluted. I still have a Zoom H4n portable recorder and for it's size, it's pretty nice. But again, the menu system needs to be learned. Personally, I think you'll be fine with the Tascam DP-008EX as a stand alone simple recorder. And it is the least expensive @ $179 map.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DP008EX

axehole

I would not bother with them for the money. A cheap laptop and an audio interface or a mixer with built in USB interface is a much easier system to use. Way better bang for the buck.

mattball826

Zoom R series. Doesn't get any easier.

Also check CL and Ebay for used Zoom MRS series units. I bet you find one for $100-150

NashSG

People do some pretty cool stuff with Garageband on an Apple laptop or IMac. Tascam's digital portastudios are still handy for tracking then moving files to a PC to mix.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
Tascam 2488, the learning curve is not much more than the smaller units, and you get more channels, fx, phantom, and cd burner.

335guy

Also check CL and Ebay for used Zoom MRS series units. I bet you find one for $100-150
I've still got an old Zoom MRS-802B. I bought it new more than 10 yrs ago. It works pretty good for what it is. Downside is only 2 trks can be recorded at a time and the lcd screen is tiny ( typical of many stand alones ). It's well built and feels substantial, more so than my Tascam 2488mk11. But typical with Zoom, the menu system is a bit confusing and convoluted.

TrickinSid

Silver Supporting Member
If your still in the market....the Tascam DP-008EX is on sale for $115 - free shipping, via promo code 174329746.
Just worked for me a minute ago - not sure how long the sale lasts.

:)

scatto

If your still in the market....the Tascam DP-008EX is on sale for $115 - free shipping, via promo code 174329746.
Just worked for me a minute ago - not sure how long the sale lasts.

:)
Curious as well .... is this through Sweetwater?

Motterpaul

Tone is in the Ears
I have a full ProTools rig with the latest or best of everything - plus I have a Zoom R24. I use them both, The zoom for quick ideas I just want to get started on, and ProTools for more serious projects. I also use the zoom for kind of practice room mixer for my laptop, pedal effects test box, phone and anything else I might want to hear louder.

I recommend to R16 highly (R24 is too much, the drum machine does not justify the extra cost). They are VERY simple to use, you can plug in directly and get optional guitar effects plus vocal effects, etc built in. It is a very easy learning curve and the resulting files are compatible with DAWs so you can transfer them to ProTools if you want.

Lots of small units like this are out there, Tascam, Alesis, all good. They are MUCH faster to get started on than a computer DAW, especially for people who do not already know the recording process.

Trending Topics