Beginner wanting to setup my Squier Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by David Page, Apr 23, 2019.

1. David Page

David Page Member

First post on this site. I just got my first bass. In fact, I ordered two but am keeping one. I got a new Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and a used one. The used one was cool because it was 100 bucks cheaper and included a decent hard case. If I can fix the following issue, I'd love to keep the cheaper one.

So the new one sounds really great. The used one is good (I don't mind scratches and dings) but it has some fret buzz on all strings and I notice it around the third fret. Looking at both bridges, they look like they're the same height. If I raise the bridge, I can fix some of this issue but I'd like to see if there is another way so I don't have a very high bridge. Does anyone have ideas on how I can fix this issue so I can keep the used one and save some money? The action from the nut looks similar but I don't have a measuring tape to measure it.

Simpler answers help since I have never set up a guitar before.

2. electricity17

electricity17 Member

Take it in for a setup with a good tech. Well worth the cash.

fretless likes this.
  3. direwolf

direwolf Supporting Member

4. Tom Fontaine

Tom Fontaine Member

If there is a small local shop that will let you watch them set it up, I’d suggest that. You will learn about all the variables for string height, neck adjustment, pickup adjustment, saddle adjustment, intonation. There are lots of YouTube videos on setting up a bass as well.

It also may be that the used bass has a bad neck, or bad fret, worn but, et cetera, which a tech could identify for you. Unlikely, but possible.

5. tommygunn1986

tommygunn1986 Member

If it's buzzing at the 3rd fret, probably needs a truss rod adjustment (hopefully it's not a fret issue). I'd recommend a full setup. Its something you could learn but you would need tools. The screwdrivers/hex keys that fit all your bass parts (truss rod, bridge, etc), as well as a ruler that measures in 64th of an inch and a set of feeler gauges. I would avoid messing with the nut til your more experienced. I'd also recommend picking up, "Teaching Yourself Guitar Repair and Maintenance" by John Carruthers (you can get it on Amazon).