Beginners Question about MBOX2 and Pro Tools

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tfunster, Jan 10, 2006.

1. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

So I'm right about to order the MBOX2/Pro Tools LE bundle, but I need to know some things, and Digidesign customer support apparently doesn't care to answer them (They never return my e-mails) so I thought I'd try here.

1) With the MBOX2/Pro Tools system, can I use my computer speakers as moniters?? They're actually pretty decent.
    2) I have about $200 to play with for mics. I'll be miking my voice, acoustic guitar and electric guitar, do you recommend one decent condensor, or maybe one cheap dynamic and one cheap condensor?? Any Mic recommendations???
    3) I have about 50 gigs of free space on the hard drive, is it essential that I get an external hard drive??
    4) Am I going down a long and dark road to recording hell??:D
    I have checked out that tweakheadz website and found some good info there. Thanx ahead of time for any advice.

2. justicetones

justicetones Member

1) With the MBOX2/Pro Tools system, can I use my computer speakers as monitors??

Unless you are trying to compete on a professional level.
    Yes you can. What do you have? If they are a decent external set of stereo monitors they will be sufficient to have some fun and get your ideas down.

2) I have about $200 to play with for mics. I'll be miking my voice, acoustic guitar and electric guitar, do you recommend one decent condensor, or maybe one cheap dynamic and one cheap condensor?? Any Mic recommendations???

I would start out with one Shure SM57 and one Octava or Rode small condenser. That should cover all of what you want to do. Don't forget the mic stands.

3) I have about 50 gigs of free space on the hard drive, is it essential that I get an external hard drive??

It is not recommended that you record to the internal drive at all. I know some guys say they do it but you are only asking for trouble. I would recommend an external Hard Drive.

4) Am I going down a long and dark road to recording hell??

Yes, but it is alot of fun. :BEER

If you had any other questions feel free to email me.:dude

I am sure some other members will have some great input too.

3. elambo

elambo Member

1) keep in mind that your speakers need to be connected to the MBox, NOT the computer, so you won't be able to use your speakers for certain things. Although it's possible to route your system sounds over to the MBox, system sounds via the MBox have caused problems for a lot of people (typically shotty or no computer sounds at all). Especially if you plan on using ProTools 7, which is even more buggy when it comes to system sounds than prior versions.

2) an SM57 would be a safe bet, it's strongest suit being the elec guitar cabinet. However, if it were my money, I'd probably get a Studio Projects C1. It's a large capsule condensor, sounds VERY good on male vocals, and doubles as a nice guitar mic (acoustic AND miking a cabinet). They can be had for somewhere in the $200 range.

3) JT basically said it already... If you're only recording a few tracks, you'll be OK with the internal. "OK" is not ideal, but it will work.

4) Yes. But do it anyway.

4. justicetones

justicetones Member

Elambo made a good call on the Studio Projects mic. I own a C3 and it constantly suprises people in sessions. Why didn't I think of that :jo

+1 on the Studio Projects

5. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

make sure it works on your windows....ive got windows xp media centre and i didnt work on my computer.

6. elambo

elambo Member

That's a good thing to mention, but it could also be a Mac. I don't think he specified.

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I use it with a 15" Powerbook 1.67. Works like a charm. The DVD that comes with the Protools factory bundle is great. I'll never go back to the Rolands.

8. tfunster

I'm using a Dell Dimension 4600 that has Windows XP. Don't know anything about Windows Media Centre, I assume that that isn't what I have. How can I tell?? thanx

9. stratofied

stratofied Member

10. tfunster

You guys are Killin Me!!! Every time I post here I find out I need to spend another $200 bucks!!! :D Well I guess it's healthier than being a drug addict.

Okay couple more questions now that I know that I need an external hard drive and powered moniters.

1) Does anyone have experience with Edirol MA-15D powered moniters or the M-Audio Studiophile DX4 pair??? I'm looking to spend under $200 on moniters.
    2) So I need an external hard drive for my Dell Dimension 4600. How many gigs do you recommend??? I'm not recording a symphony or anything, but I would like enough memory so I don't have to worry about running out.
    3) What about hard drive speeds or (insert technical term that I don't understand here)?? Anything I should be looking out for?? Once again I'd like to spend under $200.
    Thanx guys!!!

11. tfunster

Well I just blew a grand on 1) MBOX 2 2) Groove Tubes GT55 Condensor Mic 3) M Audio Bx5a monitors.

Any opinions on the mic and monitors???? I listened to the monitors at GC and while they sounded good they did lack bass. After reading up on the internet, this was a complain complaint. People say that the bass in virtually non-existent. However at GC it was between the M Audio and some crappy $150 monitors. All the other monitors were $500 and up. Can anyone here recommend better monitors in the $200-$300 price range?? I have 14 days to return them.
    Any opinons on the Groove Tubes GT55?? thanx

12. Jo

Jo Silver Supporting Member

Did you get the MBox 2 with the extra factory bundle software? Is it worth spending the extra $100 on that?

13. Matt Gordon

I went for the Wharfedale 8.2A, which are in your price range though I've also read issues with the tweeters making popping sounds. The pair I have seem fine.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yes, absolutely.

15. tfunster

Question for anyone with the MBOX 2 Bundle. What the hell do you do with the BFD program?? Do you have to run it through the Reason sequencer???? If so, how do you import the drum sounds, and then how do you put it on a pro tools track. Any help is MUCH appreciated. I don't know what I got myself into here.:(

16. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Hey, I was going to suggest those too.
    The Fostex PM series are also nice for the money.

17. Matt Gordon

The extra software is cool, but I don't think you should expect a lot of sounds. Most of the better ones require you to upgrade, so don't feel that you are getting anything but a simple look at those extra products, albeit very useful in full license. Reason is very cool, as is Abelton Live. Very nice software and it works well on my G4 Powerbook. I want to add that Reason Adapted 3.0.1 is worth the extra $100. Trust me, it is killer stuff. The Ableton Lite requires the full version to export/import, so it is useless to me, unless I'm not getting it. But trust me, the single acoustic piano patch in Reason Adapated is worth the extra $$$, but you get so much more. Most def, will upgrade to full Reason!

18. Matt Gordon

I wonder if those guys and gals having buzzing problems (with the Wharfedale) might be actually hearing the speaker grill? First thing I noticed about them is the way the grill is mounted. It begs to be buzzing with even the smallest amount of bass signal. Those covers have to come off. The Wharfedale's are a very warm speaker IMHO. You should hear that five meter grand piano patch through the Wharfedale's. Even the the most cork-sniffing snob acoustic piano player would take notice! :cool: