Behringer Bi-Phase

Pwurso

Silver Supporting Member
9v or 12v sounds exactly the same here. I’m using a Strymon Zuma power supply and there is zero difference. I believe the Bi-Phase has an internal regulator.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
I could believe anything voltage regulation-wise. I heard a difference with adapters through a Maz and a Power Station (still loud, amp setup warm+).

I have found that higher voltage benefits tone even when voltage is internally regulated with some pedals (e.g., Empress Phaser).

I appreciate that this is unexpected.

I'll a/b it with a Voodoo supply next week.

mvsr990

Silver Supporting Member
No popping or LED weirdness on mine, I must have gotten one made by the best maintained soldering robot!

I've been using a Cioks DC7, 9V @ 660. I'll try out the 12V @ 500, was worried the mA would be too low but 700mA seemed an unlikely high number for an analog pedal.

Pwurso

Silver Supporting Member
I bet it’s rated at 70mA. 700mA can heat & power two preamp valves!

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
I spent meaningful time with the Behringer Bi-Phase on Sunday and compared it vs. very stiff competition (Empress, Spaceman Deluxe, Maxon PH-350).

In summary, it holds its own vs. the (outstanding) listed phasers and has its own voice (single phasers and especially in the bi-phase mode).

For $150, it's an absolute steal.

I also vetted the power issue with a VL-4x4 with the 9 and 12V high-current taps. The difference in tone was more subtle than with the adapters. I found in this instance that I preferred the 9V (a bit more fuzzy/lo-fi) vs. the 12V. I would test the 2 power options with your preferred mode of powering the pedal, pick the one that sounds best to you, and forget about the variable. It is not a serious determinant of tone with a quality power supply.

I would love to hear someone a/b the Behringer unit vs. the original tone-wise.

The cons of the unit are sincere (e.g, it's really big, the bypass switches pop even though they're soft switches, it's left-handed cable order-wise). Many may not wish to undergo the tweaking that the unit seems to benefit from. You'll likely want to somehow mark preferred settings.

I have yet to test the unit in stereo but expect that it sounds great.

finboy

Man, wish I preordered. Was anyone given indication when the mods are going to happen to slip by the lawyers?

Pwurso

Silver Supporting Member
Here's a view of the inside.
Notice the many trimpots. The "Level" pots are centered. When turned CCW, the level increases for the effect input. I was hoping for output. I'm guessing you can use these to trim for hot pickups.
IMG_7250.jpg

martijn

Here's a view of the inside.
Notice the many trimpots. The "Level" pots are centered. When turned CCW, the level increases for the effect input. I was hoping for output. I'm guessing you can use these to trim for hot pickups.
View attachment 563312
Did you adjust any of the other trimpots? For instance, the ones labelled "depth".

Marco78

Is this pedal true bypass? Or is it buffered? I'd use it before fuzz and other transistor based pedal, so for me is very important.

Thanks

Tel Sutton

Well, I scoured the Earth, and, like Rambo, rekindled my love for Vietnam....
https://hoangbaokhoa.com/en/bi-phase-b47241.php
You can't buy it directly from the site by following the usual steps - you have to email them first - but they're very prompt in replying (allowing for time diff, obvs).

Mine arrived in the UK this morning. It was sent through Vietnam Post via DHL Singapore. Shipping worked out at around £47, took five days, and, best of all, I didn't get stung by customs. I paid via Paypal in US dollars. They are Behringer's official dealer in Vietnam, legit. A couple of emails back and forth got it shipped via a 'cheaper option' (not Fedex, which you might get offered first, and was almost £100 alone). Site still says 'in stock' so the best of luck to those still wanting one.;)

p.s. 'Music Majlis' in UAE (also official Behringer stockist) also have 'some left in our warehouse' (their words) - https://musicmajlis.co/products/behringer-bi-phase-dual-phase-shifter - you'll also get 5% off if you use 'FIRST5' voucher code at checkout, but their shipping is pricier, plus I'm not sure it's part of the developing nations tariffs deal that currently favours Vietnam (should you get hit by customs).

Enjoy!

brain21

Silver Supporting Member
You can't buy it directly from the site by following the usual steps - you have to email them first - but they're very prompt in replying (allowing for time diff, obvs).

Mine arrived in the UK this morning. It was sent through Vietnam Post via DHL Singapore. Shipping worked out at around £47, took five days, and, best of all, I didn't get stung by customs. I paid via Paypal in US dollars. They are Behringer's official dealer in Vietnam, legit. A couple of emails back and forth got it shipped via a 'cheaper option' (not Fedex, which you might get offered first, and was almost £100 alone). Site still says 'in stock' so the best of luck to those still wanting one.;)

p.s. 'Music Majlis' in UAE (also official Behringer stockist) also have 'some left in our warehouse' (their words) - https://musicmajlis.co/products/behringer-bi-phase-dual-phase-shifter - you'll also get 5% off if you use 'FIRST5' voucher code at checkout, but their shipping is pricier, plus I'm not sure it's part of the developing nations tariffs deal that currently favours Vietnam (should you get hit by customs).

Enjoy!
How did you know that you had to email them first? I don't see anything stopping me from buying, but you have to use the "online pay" payment method (as opposed to "International payment: Visa, Mastercard, etc."). I got to a form to input my Visa number - its about $168, and I see nothing about shipping so far...?

I'm worried that I'd go through this, I'd pay, and it would never get shipped b/c of some error that I was unaware of, so I'd have to go through the process of getting a refund, making a new payment, etc.

Tel Sutton

How did you know that you had to email them first? I don't see anything stopping me from buying, but you have to use the "online pay" payment method (as opposed to "International payment: Visa, Mastercard, etc."). I got to a form to input my Visa number - its about $168, and I see nothing about shipping so far...?

I'm worried that I'd go through this, I'd pay, and it would never get shipped b/c of some error that I was unaware of, so I'd have to go through the process of getting a refund, making a new payment, etc.
Yes, that was as far as I got and I thought, 'Nah, I'll email em'. They'd got back to me within 24 hours, and within another 24 I'd sorted the transaction i.e. they emailed me the invoice, and where to pay, and I paid with Paypal (secure, as you have to confirm it has arrived to Paypal). Like I say, they are the official Behringer dealer, not a rip off, and if you ask nicely they'll kindly lower that value on the customs slip. The irony is if I'd bought it from the EU I'd have definitely been hit for an extra 20% plus admin fees. Mine went straight though customs no hassle (I was tracking it on the DHL app).

Good luck anyway, and I hope you get your prize (as I had a lot of fun with mine the studio last night!)
Under £200 for one of these is a steal. Try and power it at 12v though - I used the 12V 2A adapter from my old Sky Router, cables (tidily) chopped & swapped around to Centre Neg. Worked a charm (always better to provide more power to a phaser imo e.g. my Maxon PH-350 def runs 'goo-ier' at 10v).
[EDIT] Also tried another new toy last night, 'Warm Audio Jet Phaser'... that thing is a lot of fun, built like a tank (and feels premium - we know they're using quality components), and will cut through a mix with ease. Superb copy of a classic. Just wish they'd put some LEDs on the sucka.

Tel Sutton

I spent meaningful time with the Behringer Bi-Phase on Sunday and compared it vs. very stiff competition (Empress, Spaceman Deluxe, Maxon PH-350).
Clearly a man of taste.... have you tried the PH-350 in stereo, two amps? Ooooo.
Can I also suggest, from one phaser lover to another, that if you see one... 'Colorsound Phaze-X'.

The Behringer Bi-Phase IS a steal, and a very happy addition to the studio fx cupboard.

brain21

Silver Supporting Member

Enjoy!
Ugh. They just quoted me $80 shipping. That would bring the price to $250 with shipping... :(. I was hoping for something closer to $200... I'll ask about shipping costs for 2. Maybe I can order two and resell one to cover some of the costs or something.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom