Behringer Mixing Boards???

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jokerjkny, Jul 17, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hey all,

anyone have any experience with Behringer's UB series mixing boards? lovin' this deal:

Eurorack UB1832FX-PRO Mixer

worth the dough?

2. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

Hmm they are OK but if you can spend a little bit more you will save on upgrading in the future once you get frustrated with the limitations of the Behringer quality.

The mackie is the one to go for as they have very good sounding mic amps.

Also have a look at second hand boards, you can pick up some very nice semi pro analogue stuff.

There was also an SSL 32 channel 5000 desk on UK e-bay for only $7500

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>worth the dough?<<

Yes, which is why they're so inexpensive. ;)

Seriously, I got one of their inexpensive mixers for my son a while back, and it works fine.

Gary's right about finding a used Mackie for the same money, though.

4. jgraham

jgraham Member

I have a Mackie 1604 VLZ (not pro) that has a few channels inop. I'll let it go real cheap if you're interested. Repair quote was about $300.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  5. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I don't like the way they sound. Maybe it's just what people have run through them, but I've never heard them sound pleasant and sweet on the ears. But to be honest, I can't claim a lot of experience with them.

Soundcraft makes some terrific low-end boards, the Spirit line. I like the Mackie VLZ-Pro series except for the high EQ which is kinda nasty. Mackie is what I have.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

What, you LISTEN to stuff? :confused:

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Only for a hobby!

8. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

By themselves, the Behringer boards are a bit sterile sounding in the pre section. On their website, they claim to purposefully be this way so you can put whatever pre you'd like in front and change the tone of the board. It's a good marketing scheme because it's both cheaper, and has a greater mass-market appeal. But also, you CAN tailor the tone by using various pre's in front...although the descrete solid state ones like a Grace Design 101 is just going to amplify your Behringer preamp section basically, so if you aren't a fan of it, have something with color ready.

The studio I work with has a Behringer MX3282a. Quite frankly it's too many channels at the moment, being that we only need 16 mic channels for tracking. If any of you are interested in grabbing it, feel free to email me: that1band@yahoo.com