Behringer UB2442FX preamps

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Brownie, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Brownie

Brownie Member

Hi all,

A friend of mine is upgrading his home studio. He's happy with the Behringer UB2442FX PRO WITH IMP that he's using. But with the addition of an AT 4040 condenser, he's wondering if the board's preamps are of high enough quality, as opposed to a stand-alone pre. I have no experience with this mixer, although I've read it's a nice unit.

Question: Are there mic pres out there in the $300 or less range that would offer better performance than what the board offers? I use a Joe Meek VC3Q myself, and have had very nice results. I know little of the newer generation 3Q, but would appreciate opinions/alternatives.

If it was me, I'd probably hang with the board's preamps for a while, pick up a RNC compressor and see how things sound. I know the board has compression "presets", but I don't know how useful that feature is likely to be. Seems like buying a 3Q or other integrated unit would not be the best bang-for-the-buck scenario, as he's already got the EQ (and preamp, if it's worthy) covered in the board. Comments?

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'd buy a studio projects vtb1 preamp, maybe two. That's some pretty good bang for the buck.

And the RNC is a good suggestion too.

What's the recording device?

3. elambo

elambo Member

RUN, don't walk, away from the Behringer pres. Anything made by Behringer for that matter.

Studio Projects makes gear that's heavy on the "value". I haven't tried the vtb-1 myself, but I'd guess that it's pretty good.

4. Brownie

Brownie Member

Thanks. He's running a 1" reel to reel, can't recall the make offhand. Elambo, he seems to like the Behringer board well enough for the $$, so I don't think an upgrade there is in the immediate plans, but I'll pass along your opinion on the pres.

5. elambo

elambo Member

Oops - sorry. I didn't realize that he already owned the Behringer board. No need to pass along my opinion then, but feel free to pass it on if he starts taking about "future" Behringer purchases. There are so many good options these that Behringer isn't necessary to anyone. They're good at marketing, but not so much manufacturing. It's vice-versa with Studio Projects.