Behringer xr12 help

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by tycobb73, Dec 6, 2017.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

Please help me with my xr12.. I use an android.

1. How many effects are there? I see 4. On the demo for the software it shows more but this is for a bigger mixer and an ipad. If it has more how do I access them?

2. How do I get the effects on only specific channels? I found out how to get them on left and right main but then they are on everything. Picking specific channels instead of mains doesn't seem to work. How do i get them on specific channels?

Thanks

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

3. Jerry

Jerry Supporting Member

Inserts....I have the app on my ipad, don't own the mixer, but play with a band from time to time that has one.
    On my ipad, when selecting an insert on a channel, I can select either the left or right channel of an effect. It also gives me 4 choices of effects. My guess is that there are more available when hooked up to the mixer.

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

IMHO you're better off with a PC or Mac to setup your effects but you can do it with the droid. If you click effects at the top of the page there are ton of different effects you can assign to the 4 sends. Each effect has lots of parameters to adjust and they sound decent enough for live use.

You can also use the compression and EQ on each channel and the masters in addition to the 4 sends.

I've found for my use, I have 3 effects I use in the sends, a short reverb with short predelay, a long reverb with longer predelay. This simulates the variety of reflections you'll get in a life room, some reflections from close by walls, some reflection from walls farther away. I also have a delay that I use the fatten up the vocals or shorten for a rockabilly style slapback.

On the monitor and main sends I use some compression to bring out the softer vocal parts and only use EQ to ring out the monitors.

This is by no means an expert setup, I'm not a sound engineer, just a hack but it sounds pretty damn good to me.

5. Guitar Stu

Guitar Stu Member

First thing is you can't access all the effects unless you are connected to an actual mixer. In demo mode the four effects slots come up but you cant change the effects that are in them.

You want to add effects to each individual channel. In the main view click on the channel name and it will bring up the overview page with tabs at the top for config, gate, peq, etc. Click on the sends tab. There will be 6 bus sends. This is where you can adjust the level of the channel being sent to monitors and then there are the four effects sends which correspond to the four effects that have been selected in the FX page. These sliders will add in how much of the effect you will want just for that channel.

The demo mode is good for having a look around but it is a bit hard to grasp how it functions without being hooked up to the real thing.

I would also recomend getting the "Mixing Station X Air" app for android. It's a couple of dollars for the pro version. It is by the same person who did the android app for behringer so it is basically a turbo charged version of the "X-Air" app.

6. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for. I'm brand new to running sound. I also have a prodx8. It seems more intuitive to first timers. But some things on the air I like better. Too bad I can't combine them.