Being in a band with another guitarist that you just dont click with?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tabb74, Apr 19, 2016.

1. tabb74

tabb74 Member

Anybody else having this problem? I can play his riffs to the "T", to the point where I have to show him his own riff that he came up with the week before, because he cant remember it. I've become hesitant to bring in my riffs/ideas, because he can never play it the way I want it to be played, and its too frustrating for him to learn someone else's "boxes" (what he calls my rhythm/riff ideas). Its as if he just instantly dismisses it as being something that he cant play, so he tries rewriting my riff or worse "playing something that goes with it" before getting a handle on what exactly it is that I'm playing. Drives me nuts. Its taken him six months to finally get a chorus that I wrote, he kept going to a C chord and for six months I was like "dude its B, one more half step down!". We're talking power chords here, btw not complicated jazz vamping or anything, its big dumb rock. We'd work it out and the next practice guess what....he's back to playing the C instead of the B again. Granted I have a lot more experience as a guitarist than he does, he's the singer and its the first time he's tried playing guitar and singing in a band (he's always just sung in his other bands). I think he tries to run before he can walk so to speak.

The last practice I thought we had finally put the nail in a song we'd been working on, I thought we were finally locked into an arrangement that everybody agreed on (same song with the C chord instead of B chord problem). We've been working on this tune for at least eight months, I can play it in my sleep by now, he's just now figuring it out, and he wrote about half the parts to it. Big warm, fuzzy Sabbathy/Kyuss kinda groove, in the middle of the song it drops down to a mellow kind of psychedelic thing and I've been doing some tasty bluesy licks there. I thought it was finally coming together. It was agreed he would play the chords, behind my solo, only he can't play the simple E major and D suspended "cowboy" chords that I wrote for the part, because his friggin hands are too big for his guitar! So all of a sudden out of nowhere, he decides he's gonna just start soloing, in my spot. I don't get it. He doesn't play any other solos in any other tunes. I guess I'm gonna just play chords in that part since I can play the FULL chords on the guitar and I'm the one with the pedals, and just let him do his thing? OR I can go in next time, put my foot down and tell him to learn the friggin rhythm part and let me do my thing so we can get on with it. Where would you draw the line? The worse part is that we're without a bass player...again, so this is a slow mellow part, when I start noodling there, the rhythm behind me falls apart, he can't keep up with where he's at in the barres/structure.

Sorry for the rant, I'm on the verge of just saying to hell with the project. Let me hear how you or how you don't deal with another difficult guitarist in your band. And no I'm not looking to be critiqued on my grammar again, but thanks anyway.

beforetone and BADHAK like this.
  2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Working on a tune for eight months?
    How old are the musicians in this band?

DTMFA

3. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

Oh man. You sound way too passive as though it's gonna be a huge decision if you need to speak up. Of course you need to speak up. I guess you've got to be able to say (in a normal collaborative tone without being combative)... "No, we worked out this part with me doing this solo, you're doing the chords."

beforetone likes this.
  4. tabb74

tabb74 Member

I'm 41, singer/guitarist is 35, drummer is 45 I think.

5. Turi

Turi Member

Solution!
    Since he sucks on guitar, slam him on the bass. Root notes man.
    You're just playing power chords anyway, so he should be able to get it and you'll sound way better.

Boom, /thread

If he doesn't want to do bass, kick him out of the band.

6. tabb74

tabb74 Member

Oh I've been pretty vocal about these things, he usually has a fit of frustration whenever it's pointed out that he needs to adapt or change something he's doing.

beforetone likes this.
  7. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I've worked with plenty of guys I don't "click" with. I do not repeatedly work with guys who can't follow an arrangement. I'd talk to the other guys in the badn and say "him or me".

I'm not a hasty individual by nature - six months on one arrangement is WAY too long.

crambone, cabrato, Jon C and 3 others like this.
  8. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

It sounds like he is just not a developed musician yet. Have you all been playing only a few years?

If it was someone playing a long time I would bow out of the band quickly. If he were inexperienced, but a good guy otherwise, likes music, and was practising and improving I might give him benefit of doubt for a while longer.

I had some experiences like this in junior high, thankfully I don't need to deal with that kind of crap anymore (other than the occasional adult flake musician). If this is your first band, there is tons to be learned and lots of fun to be had so embrace it as long as you can hack it. Seek out better and more compatible musicians.

9. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I don't see you and him ever working out.

10. tabb74

tabb74 Member

Good idea, but his ego would never allow it. Plus he's flat broke, he can barely keep hold of a functioning guitar that stays in tune, much less have to buy a bass, head and cabinet. Then relearn all his parts on bass and sing....man that's asking WAY too much of this dude, lol!

Turi likes this.
  11. Turi

Turi Member

He's too ****** to have an ego.
    Tell him to sell/swap his guitar that he can't play (record that bit and upload it for us) and tell him to get a bass.
    There's probably not much if any re-learning of parts considering you're just chugging power chords. Tell him to remove one finger and it's all gravy.

If he won't do it, kick his ass out the band and find someone who doesn't suck.. you're probably getting too old to waste time on total noobs man!

buddaman71, JiveTurkey and tabb74 like this.
  12. BigSB

BigSB Member

Can't keep gear, can't play the things HE wrote, can't play the things you wrote.

This isn't a question of not "clicking". He's not up to par. Unless your music just plain sucks and you're all fooling yourselves, you need to either dump him and have one guitar or find another guitarist pronto.

Not "clicking" is what has happened recently to me; I met a guitarist who's a nice guy, good gear, lots of experience, decent chops. We're just on slightly different paths musically. He is defaulting to a more pop-rock sound, which is cool, but it's not where my new band's heading. We'll stay in touch and maybe even put something else together, but he's probably not going to be my first call.

This dude you're talking about is just not gigging-band caliber. Period. Too bad; good luck with your search.

buddaman71, p19978 and Turi like this.
  13. tabb74

tabb74 Member

We've been at this project for a solid year now. I've been playing guitar for 24 yrs. and been in quite a few bands over the years. He's sang in a lot of bands and claims that he wrote the music for a lot of them, but judging by his very limited guitar skills, I have doubts about that.

He keeps saying we're ready to play out.....ummm still no bassist as of today! We have five tunes that have vocals, six if you count another that he's been dicking around with for a while. Three others that he can't seem to remember how to play ( working on them for MONTHS and yet no vocals yet). I guess we could open for another band with just six songs, a half hour of music, but by now this whole thing has been like pulling teeth and I don't see it getting any easier.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  14. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

Sounds like the last guy I'd want playing bass.

Getting an actual bass player would help, though. If the other guitarist still gets lost, at least the structure would still be there.

I can't imagine Kyuss/Sabbath kind of stuff with no bass, anyway, myself.

Turi likes this.
  15. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

Man, I really hate to slag other guitarists. I think it's awesome that someone is playing, no matter how talented/skilled/experienced he/she is. And I am FAR from being a virtuoso of any kind, in any genre...

...but with that said, if he can't do open E and Dsus chords as a basic rhythm underneath your lead, "clicking" with him isn't the issue. He's simply biting off more than he can chew right now. Again, to be clear, biting off more than you can chew isn't inherently bad. That's often how you improve. It's quite possible that he'll get better with time and practice.

But for the time being, the problem isn't "clicking". The problem is having a frontman who hasn't yet developed the skills to fill that role.

Has he taken lessons? Is he willing to work with you (and vice versa) one-on-one to iron out these parts?

ChampReverb, tabb74 and Turi like this.
  16. dB

dB Member

Is it possible he just doesn't like your tunes? Could he be intentionally, or subconsciously, refusing to learn them properly?

17. tonewoody

tonewoody Member

Yeah! A big fat C note on the bass would sound cool over your B chord. Lol!

Hope you move on to greener pastures soon op.

jerrycampbell, cabrato and Turi like this.
  18. Dasein

Dasein Member

First -- let's call it like it is -- you don't have a band yet because there's no cohesion or shared ethic or vision -- even with a bass player, without that you don't have a band. You've got three guys - two on guitar and a drummer with one of you singing.... so first order of business -- Bump the singer and his big hands to bass -- no more guitar for him. If that fails, bring in a bass player and take the singers guitars away full stop. He either sings or he stays home. And get it together - or join or form a real band. 8 months on one tune is fine -- IF you are learning 100 of them at the same time. This? This what you want?

19. tabb74

tabb74 Member

Here's the other thing, had to unfollow his feed on Facebook, he's one of those people that posts every fifteen minutes about how crappy his life is. No exaggeration. Just the thing you wanna see first thing in the morning, every morning!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  20. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

kick him out. good guitarists are a dime a dozen. time for some fresh blood.

JiveTurkey, slybird and Turi like this.