Being in customer service...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Minte, Jul 16, 2019.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

People that had a particularly bad experience (for whatever reason) are often more motivated to review products and services if the process is painless for them to do so.

gigs likes this.
  2. gigs

gigs Member

Yup. The way I convinced my wife that it was ok was to have her select 3 higher priced items that she uses and knows are good and reliable and go read the online reviews for them. She was surprised how bad almost all of the reviews were. I asked her, have you submitted a positive review for it? She said no, why would I? Exactly.

A-Bone likes this.
  3. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

I don't think I could handle working in customer service. Seems like a major part of the job description is "abuse and bullsh*t magnet."

A-Bone likes this.
  4. A-Bone

The most difficult and valuable skill you learn is not to take it personally. The next most important skill you learn is when you need to fire the customer, which involves developing a sense for when you need to stand firm and when to acquiesce. It consistently amazed me how frequently people would come at me with a nasty attitude, somehow convinced that this was the way to ask for or receive help solving their issue. It was always tempting to say something like "More honey, less vinegar."

Layne-o, WornFrets, Madsen and 2 others like this.
  5. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

A viable option that is utilized too rarely.

jblake and A-Bone like this.
  6. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

Years ago I offered to fill in for a service advisor at a Mercedes dealer until they found a replacement.
    I serviced the dealer doing paintless dent removal but had many years of MB experience including service advisor, tech, QC manager and sales. A woman came in for a 1st service to be done on an ML320 that she had purchased at a different dealership. I arranged for her to have the use of a loaner vehicle free of charge. In the hopes of having her be more comfortable using a car that was not hers I brought around a new ML320 so she would be familiar with the location of everything. Since she had an infant with her I removed the baby seat from her vehicle and put it in the loaner MB. I went inside and told her I moved the baby seat to the loaner but asked that she please check that it was installed correctly.
    I told her I arranged for the same model loaner for her convenience, handed her the key, and told her it was the blue one right outside the service entrance.
    Her response? Wait for it ~~~~

"EEEEEWWW, I DON"T LIKE BLUE"

[​IMG]

guitargeek6298, Sacrifice and Drew816 like this.
  7. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

I could go on a rant about the CS rep from United Airlines I dealt with last Friday, but why bother; United sucks.

[​IMG]

8. Madsen

Madsen Member

One of my first jobs was working the Customer Service desk at a big box hardware store. There was the guy who attempted to return his old rusty Genie garage door opener in the box of the brand new one he'd just bought. There was the guy who stuffed bricks in a lawnmower box & hot glue gunned it shut so it looked like it was factory sealed. There was the lady with a cart full of expensive plumbing parts with wadded up packaging that showed no sales in the system & had obviously been stuffed in pockets & stolen. She lowered her sunglasses to show me her black eye & said her boyfriend would beat her if she didn't get a cash refund. None of them got anything.

They did have a 1 year return policy on all plants so I did take back a dead stick in a plastic pot with our barcode on it that was supposed to be azaleas. I also took back a Christmas Tree with tinsel hanging off of it a couple days after Christmas. They both had receipts.

Any time people started yelling I stepped away & called a manager. They didn't pay me enough to deal with that kind of crap. Can't say I miss it.

9. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

Just put them on hold until they hangup..

10. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Member

Worked years of retail at Target, Sears, and some smaller regional stores, including one that eventually was bought by Babies R' Us. You haven't lived until you try arguing to an 8 1/2 month expecting mother about why you can't do XYZ return, or why that new crib isn't going to fit in the back seat of their Lexus.

At Sears, the number of people who attempted to apply the "Craftsman" hand tool warranty to power tools was almost criminal. But I really felt for the lawn & garden guys who were on commission, and would come in on payday only to learn their main $$ sales had been returned and re-sold by another employee (either as a return, or a "re-ring" so the customer could apply some discount).

A-Bone likes this.
  11. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Not a cust. svc., but sales job - I called a prospect I knew was using a competitor who charged a lot more than we did, left a vm. I followed up with an email. He replied with a list of demands. He wanted this, that and the other thing for $XX per month and if I couldn't do it, don't call him again. I had to ask a few questions to see if we could give him that pricing. When I got through giving my name and reason for the call, he replied, "You obviously don't want my business, do you?" I replied, "You know what? You're probably better off sticking with your current provider. Have a nice day." I knew he'd be a pain in their ass instead of a pain in my ass. Didn't need to fire that customer, just didn't hire him in the first place.

MrSteve likes this.
  12. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

I remember those! I was really young, I wanted one, and my Dad, being the serious adult fisherman wouldn't have any part of it. Good times.

Bobbybigbucks likes this.
  13. A-Bone

I have a friend who is a close personal friend of Ron's. The vacations and gifts he lavishes on his friends are pretty impressive.

Sacrifice likes this.
  14. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

Well dayum, hook us up! Childhood dreams man...

A-Bone likes this.
  15. Bhobb

Bhobb Member

Two things I learnt from face-to-face CS:
    1. The ability to keep a straight face is paramount;
    2. A full moon really does bring out the freaks.

MrSteve and A-Bone like this.
  16. Stike

Stike Member

My 17 yo son has quickly figured out that a future in CS is not for him. He works at BBQ joint that serves cafeteria style and hates when he has to work the hot bar/plate sides. The menu is a huge board and quite easy to read, he is still annoyed to no end with people that by the time they get to him have not even looked at the menu and ask what the sides are. I guess misanthropy is genetic.:D

17. Codyyy

Codyyy Supporting Member

I did 7 years selling auto parts. For some reason when a customer says they’ve spent X number of dollars with you like they own the place, there’s at least a 90% chance it’s not even pennies in comparison. I’ve got some great stories though. Most of which have morals that include some people should not work on cars (whether in their yard or in the shop they work at) and figuring out where they bought the parts first before raising hell to find out a Big Mac was probably not purchased at Taco Bell.

MrSteve and ShredSquatch like this.
  18. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

In reading bad reviews I have noticed a number were from people that purchased a perfectly good product that wasn't the correct product for them or people who were to stupid or to use the product properly or had a product that had a learning curve.

Ravindave_3600, neuman and A-Bone like this.
  19. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

If you don't take it personally and kindly assure the angry and irate customer (who is probably conditioned to piss poor service) that you are taking their complaints seriously and are going to take care of them, you'll usually see a pretty quick change of attitude. Though your success rate declines as the affluence of your customer base increases.

jblake and A-Bone like this.
  20. A-Bone

Absolutely matches my experience, as well.

MrSteve likes this.