• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Being Offered a Project Les Paul. Need help/advice.

b80

Ordering my finishing supplies today! Hopefully have all the paint off by the time I get it. Will start the sand/sealer phase.

b80

So, Guitar Re-Ranch is closed! Any other sites have Seal/Sander, Gibson Pelham Blue paint and Nitro spray?

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
So, Guitar Re-Ranch is closed! Any other sites have Seal/Sander, Gibson Pelham Blue paint and Nitro spray?
Are you dead set on nitro? The SL is one gibson that actually didn't have nitro to begin with, so a refin with some other coating wouldn't be out of line.

Reactions: b80

b80

Are you dead set on nitro? The SL is one gibson that actually didn't have nitro to begin with, so a refin with some other coating wouldn't be out of line.
Nope. Not dead set on Nitro at all. Just want it to look good!

Melange

Greetings!!
Like the title says, I’ve got an offer for a project Les Paul. Seller states it’s a 2005 LP Studio Special. Looks like the body is flat, instead of carved (can’t really tell from the pics). It’s for mini inlays instead of the larger ones.

It needs a nut and pickups.

First thing, I’d strip all of that paint and refinish it myself. Yikes.

Basically, what have I got here? I can’t seem to specifically find any info on this model. Not even sure what to look for. Anyone have a 2005 with the smaller inlays?

As long as it fretted correctly , no neck twist and right neck to body angle you should be ok , otherwise you will be spending lot of time doing fret work and correcting mute strings and buzz

b80

Where can I order the best nut for a LP special? Pre slotted, preferable. I can tweak from there.

b80

Got most of the paint off the front, back and sides. I have a few spots I need to hit, again, with the paint stripper. Saving the neck for last. Want to do that super carefully as to not compromise the fretboard.

b80

A thought: I never use the neck pickup. I might see about getting a pickguard cut to cover the neck pickup cavity. Perhaps find a way to plug the Pickup selector hole and the two unused vol/tone pot holes. Make it a LP Jr humbucker? Could be fun.

Looks awesome! Always dig your setup! I’m thinking if something similar, a natural back or stain with a color on top.
Thanks mate! Keeping it simple hasn't steered me wrong yet, I'm jealous of your Rocker 30! Looking forward to seeing how the refin project turns out.

b80

Thanks mate! Keeping it simple hasn't steered me wrong yet, I'm jealous of your Rocker 30! Looking forward to seeing how the refin project turns out.
The Rocker 30 is amazing!! I'm a year + in and I love it just the same. They can be had for crazy low prices on used sites. I've seen them around $700.

Trending Topics