Being "subbed"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Gasp100, May 21, 2019.

1. DrSax

DrSax Member

Sure wish I was capable of this attitude. It would be for the best. Sadly, I'm not built that way.

Count me in with the "it's uncomfortable/uneasy" crew.

Mostly because my bands prefer me no matter how good the sub is. So it's the guilt factor. Luckily I don't miss many gigs.

2. Doctor of Rock and Roll

Doctor of Rock and Roll Member

Auditions for sub !? Again, who, in their right mind would do this?

' Hey John, Yeah just learn the 45 songs and we're gonna have you and 3 other candidates compete for the the coveted 2 gig spot..Yeah the auditions will be on Memorial Day weekend. .'
    Seriously, screw that noise..BL is a frigging mongoloid.

DrSax and Gasp100 like this.
  3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Is that happening? I must have missed that post.

4. DrSax

DrSax Member

I'm in three bands as well, but it's not really working out. Two of the bands don't want me playing with anyone else and get angry when I'm unavailable, but those two bands gig once a month at most.

5. CDP

CDP Member

The lead vocalist and I run the band. We have subs ready to go, on bass and on keyboards (which we used on last Wednesday's gig). We have two drummers we can call if our's isn't available, but haven't had to do so. We get a live CD right from the board whenever possible, and everyone gets a copy.

On the other hand, I am the sub guitarist for two or three other bands. I'll almost always get two or three weeks notice before they need me to fill in, and an email with the set list to learn. By now I know most of their sets anyway.

Subs happen.

6. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Glad someone finally noticed the Elephant in the Room. He's a biggun'. ;)

derekd likes this.
  7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

IMO / IME the highlighted portion is a flashing neon sign screaming "run away" from leaders like that (unprofessional imo). :confused:

Gasp100 likes this.
  8. CDP

CDP Member

Ok so where's this magical, mythical number of "45 songs" coming from? Even at 5 minutes per song, 3 x 45 minute sets is 27 songs... and that's your band is just plowing through the sets without speaking to the audience, etc.

If you sub at all, and I do, there's always a few songs to learn but for the most part I know most of their setlist by now. One band I sub for is playing (what I call) the oldies circuit - they are the backing band for groups that come through town and hire a different band for each city on the tour. The most I've ever been asked to learn was 8 songs, and they pay me over $200 per gig- well worth the time invested IMO. My main band, where I'm not a sub, plays a completely different genre of music for half the money!.

I don't play for a living, but subbing is still a good way to keep my chops up, learn new songs and work with a bunch of different musicians and vocalists.

9. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Huh?
    • First off we play 4 hour shows 99% of the time. A few venues even tack on another hour if the place is rocking.
    • We keep TBS (time between songs, otherwise known as dead air) to an absolute minimum. We shoot for 15 seconds or less tops.
    • We have at least 3 "segues" or medley's that comprise 3-4 songs. So, we play the full song but we have built connectors which lead immediately into the next song.
    • I highly doubt each of our songs is 5 minutes, probably closer to 4 especially assuming live energy at play where songs are normally speed up a bit from record tempo.
    • We don't play Freebird unless we get at least $100 tip so subtract ~15 minutes for that omission.
    • Unless you play and listen to modern/bro/popular country I would gather ~75% of the songs you may have never heard. Only a small subset of the modern country we play has completely crossed over to standard pop fodder.
    • Our oldies / filler are the only well known stuff we do - folsom prison (part of a medley), Roadhouse Blues, Sweet Home (because... the South), etc.
    There are a few guys on the board that play (or have played) the same stuff we do so they could chime in I'm sure. It is more of a regional thing, although getting pretty popular and I think many variety bands should consider a better niche. The biggest pro event of the year down here is the CCMF (Carolina Country Music Festival) so we basically grok that music. I think this is basically the same/similar tour in Vegas where that terrible shooting happened not too long ago.

We don't play Santeria, My Own Worst Enemy, Flagpole Sitta, Mustang Sally, Sweet Caroline, etc...

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  10. 27sauce

27sauce Member

45 in a night is pretty standard, for a 3 set band. some can stretch that out to 4 sets.

we play 3, 13-15 song sets in a night and each set is practically 45 minutes to the second, like clockwork.

Gasp100 likes this.
  11. Gasp100

BTW the feedback from the bassist was the sub: "ripped on solos but did not know any of the forms of the tunes, intros, verse / chorus, breakdowns or endings..."
    SMH, LOL. Next gig is tonight at a great venue, I'm hoping they don't blow it bad enough for us to lose our slot.

27sauce likes this.
  12. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

BroCountry...so do you guys do the bro-rap songs too?
    Big Smokey or similar style..?

13. Gasp100

No, I have to draw the line somewhere.

lp_bruce, GerryJ and 27sauce like this.
  14. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Interesting discussion (thanks).

I've been in various bands which sub here and there and it really hasn't been much of a problem. I've subbed on guitar, bass, or vocals for a few rock bands in the last few years and I am currently the "go to" guitar/vocal sub for a Celtic band. As long as everyone is clear on things, it's generally not a problem. The problems happen when people aren't clear on things or there are problems in the band (IMO).

Strangely enough, it's pretty rare for anyone to sub for me, even though I have more musical commitments than anyone else I play with (except my duo partner). But I book the gigs for two of the bands and one of them is book by committee. And none of the bands gigs a ton on its own. I'll play around 70 or 80 gigs this year, split between all my projects. I get that some bands (including some mentioned here) gig a ton more and that changes they dynamics a bit.

15. CDP

CDP Member

So that's also exactly 3 minutes per song, for 3 sets. No extended solos, no interaction with the audience? Hell, even the radio version of most songs is 3 1/2 minutes long! Not doubting or judging, but that really seems like a very fast pace to me. Hey, whatever works for you!

16. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Absolutely, and you’re right, none of that stuff. We learned a long time ago what works for the room(s) we play, and what people want and don’t want to hear. We also have hour long breaks.

I just looked at the average time of each song on our master list and it’s 3:21. We don’t do any different versions, just the regular record versions of songs.

Most of the bands I sub for play a good portion of songs from that list. If I sub for a band it’s odd for me to learn more than a handful of covers. If I have to learn anything, it’s originals.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  17. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

When I was active it was “the band is your gang”. Starting lineup and stick to it.

My last group our bass player was in another trio, vocal rock band. We were instrumental.

Of course I busted his chops but it was in good fun. We actually played twice both groups together and had a good time. They were good guys.

Times...they change. I still like the idea of commitment, rehearsing, arrangements. I know, dinosaur.

18. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I don’t know how much the “times” have to do with it. In my experience, it’s a style/genre thing.

There are plenty of rock bands with defined band members, same line up gig to gig.

I play country, most of time it’s the singer on on the bill and random sure guys. Everyone is playing the same songs, from the same wrong charts...

It’s rare to be fortunate enough to play enough gigs to make it with one lineup. And I’m saying this from a community with lots of gigs.

The rock guys tend to have day jobs...ha. That’s old school.

The jazz guys around here have day jobs and moonlight with multiple bands. Not sure what that says about that scene!

aiq likes this.
  19. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

I have subbed for people before. As we've all gotten older, other stuff comes up that prevents one from dropping everything at a moment's notice and taking every gig opportunity that presents itself. Kids, work, business travel, family. If music is a part time job, sometimes you have to get someone else to cover a shift here and there. It happens. I don't see a big deal with it in most situations.

If you have a principal or featured player/singer in the band, that's different. That person would be extremely difficult to sub without changing the product that's being delivered.

Gasp100 likes this.
  20. Gasp100

45 songs x 4 minutes = 180 mins / 60 mins per hour = 3 hours of music.
    4 hour gig = set 1 (1 hour), 30 min break, set 2 (1 hour), 30 min break, set 3 (1 hour) = go home (or pay us for another hours worth of music).