Belew feedback

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by gaspedals.net, Feb 6, 2012.

1. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

My favorite band in the 80s - used to see them live in NY on the pier every chance I could. Any best guesses as to how adrian got this feedback at 7:40. Seems like lots of fuzz and maybe tremolo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MEZ55EQOcE

2. John Catto

John Catto Member

loads of compression, some fuzz and he's changing the speed and depth controls on the vibrato mode of Roland Jazz Chorus amp.

Might I add. Belew is a GOD.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Not sure about God, but talented musician? You bet. Engineer? Yep. Producer? Mmm-hmm. Full package and unabashed about savaging the sonic landscape. Cool.

Enjoyed interviewing him way back when KC was re-emerging. Watching him at a Bears soundcheck at Mabel's in Champaign, IL mark with electrician's tape where to catch feedback was a graduate education in sonic surfing. Big fan and influence.

4. sahhas

sahhas Member

in his instructional vid from '85 (?) he goes through his rack (which was HUGE) and this is a bit before that. but he usually had compression (as mentioned), fuzz (i think he was using EH graphic fuzz in '85), and some other modulation (i think it was flanger)....and he could pretty easily get feedback at any time. i think a lot of it was the strat pu's and proximity to the amp, but he's certainly over loading things too....
    he certainly is the master of getting unique sounds!!!!!

5. gaspedals.net

gaspedals.net Member

Yeah and I dont think it hurt being around fripp either - seems like the elephant sounds he was making was something fripp had been doing for a while. Loved how their styles were so different and totally complimentary.

Their opening with waiting man killed me every time. He does the feedback here to - I think your right John, I had a JC120 for my clean tones many moons ago but never pushed it like that :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYe7lEhiXH8

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. John Catto

John Catto Member

In addition. As I recall from the interview with Adrian in Guitar Player in 1982 (June?? anyone got a download link for this?) he was also using.

MXR Dynacomp compressor
    EH Big Muff
    EH Graphic Fuzz
    Foxx Tone Machine (octave doubling Fuzz)
    He also had an EH Electric Mistress on a mike stand so that he could change the settings in real time without bending down for songs like Elephant Talk.

In the clip above it's very clear that (most of?) the modulation is from the vibrato on the Jazz Chorus (like on a BOSS CE1) since you can clearly see him reaching over and changing it! It looks like he has a Space Echo sitting on top of the amp as well.

7. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

Ah yes. His "Elephant Electronics" pedal switcher. I remember seeing that. Also, this video was taken before he ruined (IMO) his #1 strat with a Kahler.

It's hard to see, but #1 had a pre amp built into it. An Alembic 'Stratoblaster". That was the nitrous switch for the guitar. I believe it gave up to a 12 db boost. That was a big secret weapon. That's what you're hearing.

Hmm...thinking while typing. Thread derail time. Sorry.

CV Lloyde's Music store. Downtown Champaign. My quazi college for 3+ years

EH Poly Chorus on a stand. Not a Mistress. That came during the Three of a Perfect pair sessions. They wrote and rehearsed the album at the store. Not sure if the Graphic Fuzz was in the rig yet.
    Bill Bruford was a trip. On our first meeting, he said to me, "Hello, I'm Bill Bruford. Would you like a cigarette?" It was a Benson and Hedges. My dad smoked those. Yuk. I took it anyway.

Tony Levin telling me, "If you get a gig, take it. Doesn't matter what style, take the gig, That will make you a better musician."

Hmmmm...playing his GR 300 rig while the band went to the remote truck to listen to performances. His G was tuned up to an A. Play that tuning into a synth where the second oscillator is tuned up a fifth, Voila. Big King Crimson chords.

One of my favorite memories was a rainy day in early 83. An Electro Harmonix package arrived that morning for Adrian. "Andy, is there a package for me? Why yes Adrian, it's right here. What'd you get today?" He replied. "It's a digital delay from Mike Mathews. It's got 16 seconds of delay time. It will also loop phrases too". We went into the rehearsal room, where Adrian plugged #1 into the delay, and that output went into a Tascam 144 cassette 4 track. He had something else inline, but i can't remember what.

But, he started playing. Crazy AB ****.

I had to get back on the sales floor, as I was the only guy at the store. BUT, I could hear everything. It got real interesting on the second pass. (Track 3/4 on the portastudio.) Sonic Mayhem. Jeez. 15 minutes of two guitars looping away. It was nuts.

When he was leaving, I asked "what'd you think of the pedal?"

He smiled and replied, "It's pretty cool".

FWIW- He was wearing a London Fog trench coat.

Sorry for the derail. AB

8. fumbler

fumbler Member

If only all thread derails were like this.

9. Seakayak

Seakayak Supporting Member

Great story Andy Baylor.
    You can hear the same sort of "feedback" at the end of the Peter Gabriel track " Lead A Normal Life" from his 3rd solo release. Belew is not credited on that recording... not sure who was making that sound, maybe Fripp.

10. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

Hell yeah... Thanks.

Jeff

11. Mandoboy

Mandoboy Member

Posts like that make it worth reading TGP!

12. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Do I know you? I jammed in that shop with BB back then. I was in graduate school at UIUC at the time...

Small whirled.

13. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

He was NUTS.
    I saw him play on a flatbed truck doing a clinic on 48th St in NYC.
    The street wasn't closed off...we stood on the other side as he played in front of the Electro Harmonix store while Taxis whizzed past us.
    Eliot Randall played before him.

14. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

It was apparently either Dave Gregory or David Rhodes, as Fropp is only credited with playing on "No Self Control," "I Don't Remember," and "Not One of Us."