Belle Epoch, before or after OD/fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by buzzp, May 3, 2016.

1. buzzp

buzzp Member

Where do you guys like it? Where is it most effective if you play with fuzz and OD? I've read a few things about this, but wanted to ask for some fresh opinions.

2. rummy

rummy Member

Fuzz face then Belle Epoch for me.

3. buzzp

buzzp Member

How do you have the Rec Lvl / mix and internal gain knob set?

4. rummy

rummy Member

Rec level around noon and mix around 9:30. It does pretty convincing Gilmour.

5. buzzp

buzzp Member

Interested, what about the internal gain knob?

6. rummy

rummy Member

I haven't touched it. I just learned from you that there is an internal gain knob. haha.

7. buzzp

buzzp Member

Haha nice, I need to find the right spot for mine, started messing with it and now I can't figure out where it should be.

8. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Hope you marked where it was before moving it. Howard from Catalinbread has a pretty good video on YT showing how the BE reacts before and after drives........ may help.

9. buzzp

buzzp Member

I'll look for that video, and no I did not... unfortunately.

10. McQ7

McQ7 Member

Before is saturated delays, more upfront sounding potential.
    After is less saturated delays, more background sounding potential.
    4:35 ish on the video below will hopefully demonstrate this.

I personally put it before my OD pedals, since my OD pedals are designed like amps. And since I prefer the way tape delays were used back in the 60s and 70s in front of amps, it makes sense for me to use the Belle Epoch this way. If I had a Fuzz Face or Tone Bender type pedal I'd put that before the Belle Epoch and then have my amp-like OD pedals after it to replicate a vintage style order of things.

Darkburst and erksin like this.
  11. buzzp

buzzp Member

12. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I like mine in the middle. In front of cranked Marshall, but after fuzz and OD/boost.

McQ7 likes this.
  13. buzzp

buzzp Member

Cool. Thanks!

14. erksin

erksin Member

Use your ears - that's what we do!

Ivo likes this.
  15. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

i prefer to use mine like all delays- after gain if possible.

i use amp gain almost always which is why i bought my BE so i use it in front of my amps. it works much better in front of gain than most others ive tried but id never do it if i had a choice, pretending a distortion pedal is a amp-like, lol.

16. Ivo

Ivo Member

/thread

17. Andrew.

Andrew. Member

I can't even use my Belle Epoch in conjunction with any OD (whether it's an OD channel or from a pedal) because of the way the delay reacts to your playing. I must be alone, but I can't stand the sound of a delay that is in front of an overdriven amp (that isn't in the FX loop) because depending on how hard or soft you're playing, the delay itself jumps levels all over the place while playing. I'd much rather have a consistent level - no matter the attack. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't want my delay effect to be touch responsive - Overdrive is a different story, but for an effect like delay I just want the actual delay effect to be consistent.

The only time I use the actual delay is if I'm playing clean. If I go to an overdrive tone, I shut off the delay and just use it for the pre-amp boost and then use my Flashback (that sits in the FX loop) for the actual delay effect.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, or I'm just crazy for not liking delays in front of an amp, but anytime I have a delay in front of my amp that isn't using the FX loop, that **** is just all over the place level wise once I start playing with an OD pedal or the OD channel.

EDIT: I believe I have also tried putting the Belle Epoch AFTER my Dover Drive pedal with the same results, but I'll have to try it again. Keep in mind that I'm relatively new to effects pedals, so I'm probably missing something.

buzzp and rummy like this.
  18. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member

When you put a delay in front of a driven amp it will act like a ducking delay - if you keep the level down on the repeats. Find the right balance, and the delay will step out of the way while you are wailing away. When you stop or do a little bit of silence (yeah, I know...), the compression from the driven amp will bring the repeats up to level.

It can work but it's a different beast than playing on a clean amp, for sure. And the same settings will most likely not work equally well on both clean and dirty amps.

19. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

Fuzz should always be the first pedal that your guitar reaches. Delays are almost always placed after overdrives.