Belle Epoch preamp question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DSL74, Sep 24, 2018.

1. DSL74

DSL74 Member

Does anyone know how it is designed and how it compares to the Chase Secret Preamp or Clinch EP-Pre? Also, how authentic is the BE's preamp to the one in the original Echoplex?

2. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

I found it - the BE preamp - to dark for my taste.
    The SPA has three different focusing options versus the 'get what you get' preamp in the BE. I preferred the SPA.
    Cant speak to authenticity.

hippieboy and DSL74 like this.
  3. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

Do you really mean the BE or do you mean the BED?

The BE preamp is known not to be authentic. The BED is supposed to be, however i'm told it isn't. Well what do you know... :)

I have both Clinch EP+Custom and Golden Chase Tone and i love both. I also had the BED for a very short moment but i sent it back. The Clinch and CT are in the same league, the BED i had didn't even come close.

DSL74 likes this.
  4. DSL74

DSL74 Member

Thanks. To clarify, the standard Belle Epoch is what I was asking about.

5. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

imho the preamp on BE is one of it's weakest links.

6. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

in no way am I a EP preamp enthusiast but I am a huge fan of tone sweeteners, preamps and such... the EP was never my thing but I'm always ears when something new comes out.

I've refrained from ordering chase secret for awhile because I dont need it but.. I was actually thinking about the BED because it actually claims to follow the circuitry. I didn't think it was exact but I felt like it followed the layout at least. I hadn't heard anyone claiming that the BED was as magical as it was made out to be. especially as a glorified buffer at that price point... I figured it would have some clout by now.

peter_heijnen likes this.
  7. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

I had very high hopes in the many months of anticipation of the BED, firstly the release being delayed and later the first batch being sold out. In hindsight there is quite some room for speculation about that, also regarding Howard suddenly leaving the company. But ok, let's not do so. ;)

When i finally received mine i was totally disappointed. Even today i still can't get how disappointing it sounded to me.

hippieboy likes this.
  8. meowmers

meowmers Member

Yeah i quite liked it at the start until I realised its a tad dark and can't be disengaged with pedal on.

hippieboy likes this.
  9. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I love the BED. I tried the chase tone and it was good, too, but I prefer having the delay functionality and to me the preamps could be set to sound more or less the same. I’ve seen more evidence from Howard that it is a direct replication than I have seen from the internet that it isn’t.

I didn’t like the regular BE. It’s just an EQ’d boost.

10. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

May I ask why my regular Belle Epoch makes a loud pop when I engage it....if I leave it on all the time and use a amp that has a separate fx loop on/off its fine....but when I turn it off and use a different delay, then turn it on again, I get a loud pop....hoping its not doing damage to my amp...done this since new

11. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

I tend to favor a brighter base tone - so I really like my BE and don't think it is too dark. I have it set to a slapback most of the time and think it sounds great - but I use a bypass looper so it is not in the chain all the time but I use it with my base clean tone maybe 60% of the time.

12. Bigcitydoc

Bigcitydoc Member

I have a BE and really like it. Ordered a chase tone SP today so I’ll let y’all know how it compares in a month or so!

13. Snail

Snail Member

I have both, and I like both, but they are different.

To my ears the BE is indeed darker and thicker. It sounds good to me, but certainly not as an “always on” kind of thing. I like it to add thickness, texture and weight — put possibly with a loss of clarity.

The Chase Tone Secret Preamp, on the other hand, is the first “always on” pedal I have owned. It seems to add a tad bit of weight but without any loss of clarity or bell-like tone. In fact, it adds harmonics and sweetness without negatively affecting your basic tone. It is an amazing pedal. When you disengage it, you think “Dang, what happened to my tone??!!”

I like the BE very much as a delay but wouldn’t use it just as a preamp. Can’t speak for the BED as I’ve never played through one.