Ben and I were excavating a pyramid...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesdoc, Nov 14, 2005.

1. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

And look what we found :D

[​IMG]

We met halfway between our homes for my pickup of my Fargen custom special. Blackbird clean and VOS/SCO lead in this incredible cab his brother Jeff made. Cel Century Vintage speaker. Lightweight. Sounds like a million bucks. I'll review after the honeymoon.

More pics here (thanks Kathryn :) )
    http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8710856

This amp with my Soloway Swan is a desert island rig.

Enough for now....

jon

2. fatback

fatback Member

mysteries of the ancients revealed!:D

nice pic. The area looks familiar was that by the 5 interchange?

3. bluesdoc

'bout 25 miles east of 5 on 20.

jon

4. Wallace

Wallace Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dude!! Way cool. The tweed looks great! I hope things work out for us (feels to be like they just might) to meet in Clearlake. I would love to hear *both* amps!;)

Wallace

5. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Nice jon! Fantastic amp, and Jeff's cab work is killer.

6. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

nice! i bet the amp sounds incredible...and with that understated tweed look it's sure to sneak up on some folks!!

7. bluesdoc

Thanks guys. Here's the story on the cab. When we were at the decision stage regarding cabinetry, I just didn't know what I wanted. Then I got this idea that I ran by my wife and Ben and we all thought it was a killer idea. A relic'd tweed cab. Really relic'd with cig burns, frayed material, beer bottle rings, corroded corners, etc. I thought it would be cool to have a total sleeper looking amp. So, Jeff set out to do the Tweed. One thing led to another and when it was finally born, after we picked our collective jaws off the floor, it was clear that this masterpiece was NOT gonna get thrashed, relic'd, or corroded. What a beauty!! It has this golden glow that is so consistent with the quality of sound coming from the speaker. Mmmm, mmm, bitch!! The cab size with THAT speaker and that amp is just a perfect match. The cleans are blowing me away. So room filling and satisfying. You've read about the VOS/SCO........ :) Further review will await a honeymoon period. Actually I took it to rehearsal tonite expecting to open it up, but the drummer called in sick so not much happened. But the other guitar player couldn't believe what he was hearing........

jon

8. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Tis indeed a killer looking piece of tonal machinery you got there Dr. S. Love it!!

9. mude

mude Supporting Member

I know you were waiting on this one. Glad to see that it has arrived. Looks to be a fun one. Enjoy.

Evan.

10. glendrix

glendrix Member

Wow that looks great!

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I love the look of Tweed.
    An old tweed Fender still makes my mouth water.
    This Fargen is too.
    Nice score, Jon!
    How much clean headroom...how high on the volume knob before you hear the grit?
    S.
    j

12. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Wow Jon, looks like Santa brought you an early toy! I never figured you for a tweed kinda guy....but whatever works. However, I often thought that an amp that was frayed with beer bottle rings and corroded corners would remind me too much of myself ;) . Have fun with the new toy :cool:.

BTW, I've been fooling with a tweed Clark Tyger (Bandmaster 3X10 clone) for a few weeks now and every time I plug into the darn thing, I keep thinking "Where have you been all my life?". So I guess there's still hope for us old & frayed farts ;) .