• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Ben Johnston Story on NPR, w/String Quartet 4

somecafone

I heard this yesterday morning.
Makes me want to look into it a bit more.
As I can read music, I'm very curious to see how his music is scored.

Chrome Dinette

I heard this yesterday morning.
Makes me want to look into it a bit more.
As I can read music, I'm very curious to see how his music is scored.

There are some accepted methods for notating in-between pitches. I have the Gardner Read book and it does deal with it a bit.

A friend of mine has written some 1/4 tone stuff, I think I have one of his scores around here somewhere.

Here is a pic from the Johnston wikipedia article, showing how he notates a perfect 5th:

Chrome Dinette

From another page:

Composer Ben Johnston, to accommodate the just septimal quarter tone, uses a small "7" () as an accidental to indicate a note is lowered 49 cents, or an upside down "∠" () to indicate a note is raised 49 cents,[5] or a ratio of 36/35.[6] Johnston uses an upward and downward arrow to indicate a note is raised or lowered by a ratio of 33/32, or 53 cents.[6]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_tone

Trending Topics