Bends era Radiohead overdrive/distortion sounds?

mrverks

Silver Supporting Member
Been listening to mid 90's Radiohead lately and was wondering if anyone knew what amps + distortion/overdrive/fuzz boxes are responsible for some of the huge overdriven sounds on that album, primarily, "Just" "The Bends" "My Iron Lung"

NHBluesMan

pretty sure they used RAT pedals alot, which are super versatile in and of themselves. I'd start there

dwk302

Think they used a Turbo Rat and an original Marshall Guv'nor.

Edit: Marshall Shredmaster, not Guv'nor.

Last edited:

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
We do some RH covers once in a while in our original set, and I use a RAT to cover those gain tones. Works like a charm with my tele.

Nobby Nobskin

Jonny - ShredMaster > Fender 85
Thom - Turbo Rat > Twin
Ed - Mesa Tremoverb
This is true - Jonny's tone is the lead guitar sound. I bought a Shredmaster hoping to get the tone but, as is often the case, it isn't that easy. I haven't tried going into a solid state amp like he does but I suspect a lot of the aggression and tone is from his hands and helped by the humbucker in the tele and perhaps a few mods in the pedal by his tech. Don't forget a Whammy for Iron Lung and tremolo for Planet Telex :)

nb2rock

Jonny - ShredMaster > Fender 85
Thom - Turbo Rat > Twin
Ed - Mesa Tremoverb

Shredmaster was used quite a bit by Jonny back then, and even some of the sounds on their newer albums. I think it's been on his board since day 1

If you're talking about lead sounds then a Marshall Shredmaster or Boss SD-1.

That simple.
A tele helps, preferably one with a maple fretboard.

Tim Bowen

Listening now, among my all time favorite records. Can I go slightly OT and ask if anyone knows anything about the 'ramping down' tremolo on bones? Interesting to me that Stevil's diagram lists a "home-made tremolo"...

shoepedals

I think an AC30 is really a major component of that sound as well, though. The clean sounds on Just also sound like an SG or Les Paul neck pickup to me.

Edit: Guess it's not the AC30 at that time. AC30 was bought in 1997 apparently.

Last edited:
He DID use a home made tremolo for a while.
As for the ramping down sounds, he just turned down the speed by hand.
Not a big deal.

Jellybelly33

Diamond Fireburst or a Rat will do it. The Shredmaster isn't all it's cracked up to be, though very nice for that one tone.

mrverks

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Bends gets overshadowed by OK Computer a lot, but every song is solid more or less and there's a ton of innovative guitar parts going on in there. I still listen to the newer stuff quite a bit, "In Rainbows" was a great album, but there's something about their guitar based albums in the 90's before they went ambient with Kid A...

Trending Topics