Bends era Radiohead overdrive/distortion sounds?

Joe Black

I think Thom and Jonny both have (at least recently) had Bixonic Expandoras on their boards as well, which also nails that "Bends" tone, at least to me. It wouldn't be TGP without me noting that Ed has a Klon on his board.

For what its worth, the Guv'nor, Drivemaster, and Shredmaster all get you there. I have the first two of those and they can really sound great for that Marshall JCM kind of sound, with the right amp and with the gain not up too high.

Of course, the biggest reason that Radiohead's guitar tones are huge: three guitar players.

The website The King of Gear fairly fastidiously documents what they've all used over the years. Very comprehensive.

HugalosPizza

Flip the order of those 2 records for me. The Bends is incredible but Ok Computer made me pause and think "it's all been done before does not apply here, this is fresh, completely unique and mind blowing. Few records have made me pause like this on a first listen.
I couldn't agree more. OK Computer is absolutely brilliant and fresh...even to this day. That album has caused a lot of people (non-guitarist/musicians included) to pause and say ''what the eff?'' in the best possible way. That album is just a high water mark for music in general. I can't ever stop listening to it. The Bends is an album that I've loved and feel is incredible, but it will always be second to OKC for me. Jonny Greenwood is masterful with his playing and use of effects. That's a big part of OKC.

jsummersett

I was always interested in music to some degree but when i heard OK Computer for the first time my whole perception of what music was and could be changed. It completely changed everything for me. I still don't know why but that album has some kind of magic in it that I've never been able to put my finger on. I hope I never know.

Leep Dog

I'm another huge Radiohead fan as well. The first three albums and In Rainbows are my favorites. Pablo Honey is vastly underrated in my opinion. If I had to pick a favorite I'd go with The Bends.

voxylady

I'll go against the grain and say that Kid A is definitely my favorite album, followed very closely by Amnesiac. To be fair though, I am a huge fan of electronic and ambient music, but what's interesting is that I never was until I listened to those albums. Those albums started my love for those music genres.

Coldacre

Kid A is astoundingly good. it's the best sequenced album since Dark Side Of The Moon.... every track just flows into the next, perfectly.

Amnesiac is good but it's let down by a couple of filler tracks: Morning bell/Amnesiac & Hunting bears. beats me why they left Cuttooth off the album, it's such a good song.

Thedude99

The OK Computer show I saw is still the best show I've ever seen (and I have seen a lot since then). Played pretty much all of OKC and the Bends. Watching Greenwood in those days was absolutely jaw dropping. He still is amazing to watch - but in those days - two hours of him attacking his tele - doing stuff like balancing on his heels while working different pedals - amazing.

As a guitarist - it was also inspiring and humbling.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member

You're Welcome.

cheers
Eh. Somehow lacked the epic groove of the album version. Anyway, put me down as one who thinks OKC is the best Radiohead album with The Bends and Kid A a close second. Planet Telex is probably my favorite song of there's though.
-
Austin

Gonkboy

I saw a guy using a Shred Master live as part of a three piece, and it got lost in the mix whenever he turned it on. He must not have eq'ed it properly, but it sounded pretty lousy.

tremolo3

Hail to the Thief is in IMO the one that changed everything, a little bit of what they were doing in the 90s and clearly what they end up doing 10 years later, still my favorite.

I saw a guy using a Shred Master live as part of a three piece, and it got lost in the mix whenever he turned it on. He must not have eq'ed it properly, but it sounded pretty lousy.
Was he using a Fender Eighty-Five or a Twin?
jk

Veritas

Gold Supporting Member
isn't it funny all the expensive gear we buy....

to try to get the sound of a rat into a twin :)
To be fair, it was a Major Label recording in the mid- 90's that had a likely half million dollar budget. Production and mixing can make a really modest rig sound pretty great, especially with top producers and mix engineers. Even so, a good Twin and a Turbo Rat can yield some killer tone. I've been there and done that.

Thedude99

To be fair, it was a Major Label recording in the mid- 90's that had a likely half million dollar budget. Production and mixing can make a really modest rig sound pretty great, especially with top producers and mix engineers. Even so, a good Twin and a Turbo Rat can yield some killer tone. I've been there and done that.
That same modest rig sounded killer live as well. Also - at time there was no boutique market. You went off the shelf or you went vintage. And in the early to mid-90's, you usually went vintage because you couldn't afford new.

That said, Johnny's current pedal board is still pretty basic and hasn't changed much. Still uses the Shredmaster, a Boss OD3 or SD-1. Not a boutique pedal to be seen.

"Johnny's current pedal board is still pretty basic and hasn't changed much. ..Not a boutique pedal to be seen."

It's not the gear - it's what you do with it :)

Coldacre

he could do some much with just a Whammy, Small Stone, DOD 440 and a Tremulator.

Bones, Lucky, Paranoid Android, Subterranean Homesick Alien... so many weird & wonderful sounds.

tremolo3

Yeah, Jonny is a great musician, and I usually don't like the leads guys.
The other guys are not so bad.

Trending Topics