Benford Guitars - opinions/reviews please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mikealpine, Mar 18, 2015.

1. mikealpine

mikealpine Gold Supporting Member

E. Northport, NY (Long Island, not Lawn Guyland)
    Hi all. I'm looking to get a Strat-like guitar with a Piezo. Benford Guitars offers this as an option. I've read mainly positive reviews, but would like to hear more, if possible, specifically from current and former owners. One concern I have is that the necks he uses are 1 11/16 and I tend to do better with 1 5/8 necks. He says his asymmetrical option makes the neck feel thinner, so if anyone can speak to that, I'd appreciate it. My plan is to go HSS and use either twin-blade HBs in the single coil spots, or maybe all twin-blade. He's got some samples with Duncan P-Rails that are interesting as well.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any thoughts and info. Thanks!

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Isn't that the guitar brand Tim Taylor plays?

3. mikealpine

I believe they were on Tool Time. :)

4. mikealpine

Thought I'd move this up so the night crowd might see it before it gets lost in the later pages.

5. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

I've owned 2 Benfords... Give me a bit and I'll give you my detailed thoughts. ;)

6. mikealpine

Hmmm...Delayed Delay seems to have been delayed in giving me his thoughts!!

Anyone have any info on Benford?

7. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

They would be lefty Benfords then ?

Interested in your opinions also :munch

8. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

9. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have a T Style that I've had for a couple of years
    Outstanding guitar.
    I've heard nothing but great stuff about Steve and that's one of the reasons I bought one.

10. brandass

brandass Member

Have an S Style that I love. Nice neck, comparable to a MIA strat's. Most of my options were straightforward, but asked for a very complicated wiring scheme (all phase and series/parallel options) and he came through like a champ. Great communication, seemingly a great guy too. Nothing but good things to say about the guitar and him.

Good luck with it!

11. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Sorry about that peeps! Completely slipped my mind last night... :)

Standard T-style:
    Overall, a great value guitar. On par with most American Standards I've played, but where Steve (Benford) wins is that he allowed me to select pretty much all the hardware and pickups. I believe I paid $700 for it back in 2009. The neck was INCREDIBLY comfy, and that guitar rocked (Dimarzio Chopper T in bridge, and a Searcy P-200 in the neck; GORGEOUS tones)... Unfortunately the neck
    twisted a bit after a couple of years in, but that's certainly not Steve's fault, and he was more than accommodating and helped me work through it. I only sold the guitar when my tastes changed a bit, but I certainly wouldn't mind having it back ;)

Full Custom dual cutaway:
    This one was simply STUNNING... Playability, fit, finish... Superb build. I spec'd out everything - from the body style, neck profile, f-board radius, inlays, tuners, volume and tons knobs, pickups... Everything. That guitar was only 7 to 7.5 lbs, and had the comfiest neck I've ever played on (next to maybe my current G&L ASAT). The only problem I had with it was I stubbornly selected Gibson Classic 57's as my pickups, and in that guitar, they were INCREDIBLY dark and dull. Steve suggested a few others (knowing what I was going for), and I declined. :Spank... I loved that guitar and that still remains my biggest regret in flipping gear. I took a bath on it too. I paid I think $1,800 for it --- and for a FULL CUSTOM-from-scratch build, that impossible to beat. He even sent me blow by blow pics from the layout and outline of the guitar body all the way up through the finished product. It made the waiting MUCH easier. ;)

Overall, for value alone, I honestly don't know how Benford Guitars could be beat. He's a complete class act and will go out of his way to make the customer happy. Not only that, but he really does make some world class guitars, especially when it comes to his custom builds. Again, the Standard builds are on par (imo) with most Fender American Standards I've played. Just a really nice value overall.

Hope that helps! :aok

And yes, they were both lefties. ;)

12. mikealpine

I have terrific acoustics. The band I play with plays mostly classic rock, with the occasional need for an acoustic tone, and often, only for part of the song, like the intro. In those cases, the Piezo works very well for me.

Thanks very much to everyone else. I am going to get back in touch with Steve. Delayed Delay, it was worth the delay!! It sounds like he provides tremendous value, and that I'll get an excellent guitar.

For anyone interested, I'll let you know what we end up with, but I believe it will be Hum-TB-TB or Hum-S/C-TB and go with a noiseless center, with the options to split the Hum and TB, and a toggle or push/pull to get bridge and neck together. Should be very versatile that way.

Thanks again!

13. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

Sounds great and thanks for the info, but without pics, well you know the deal ;)

14. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

Touché...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:)

15. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

An excellent pair of lefties :beer

16. mikealpine

After a couple of e-mails and some really nice conversation, it looks like we're putting a guitar together, to be confirmed later this afternoon. It'll be a white limba SLO (Strat-Like Object), though no pick-guard. Based on quite a few sound clips, I really like the SD Everything Axe set, and Steve is going to work out some pretty cool wiring. We'll have a Piezo and three-way toggle to get the Piezo alone, in combination with the mags, or mags alone. Keeping the wood natural, some kind of dark fretboard wood (rosewood or ebony), Steve's "all access" neck joint, etc. Should be a very versatile guitar. Thanks all.

17. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I bought a Benford S type used. Very solid guitar.

I agree with previous posts that the main advantage of Benford is all of the customization options for the price. If you need a lot of custom features and don't want to do it yourself, this might be a good option.

18. mikealpine

Thanks TOP. We're doing what Steve calls a half-custom. He'll make the body and use a stock neck, although we'll change out the fretboard dots and side dots for glow-in-the-dark dots. He said the last guitar he made from a slab of that white limba resonated like crazy. Should be a good match for the Everything Axe pickups.

19. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

Make sure you do a NGD thread when you get the guitar from Steve!

20. mikealpine

I absolutely will. I have to say, right out of the gate, Steve has been incredibly patient with all my questions and super easy to deal with. His pricing is beyond fair. Very excited!