bennettcab's Pedaltrain Mods (Pedalboard Build Thread)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bennettcab, Feb 8, 2012.

1. bennettcab

bennettcab Member

[​IMG]

The beginning:
    I started with a stock Pedaltrain PT-2 and Pedal Props Pedal Pal. I like Pedaltrain's pedalboards; they are light, strong, easily modified and priced right. I like the Pedal Pal to minimize setup and to keep the treadle pedals on a flat surface, although finding a case is either expensive or an exercise in patience.

[​IMG]

Power:

[​IMG]

I knew I wanted to use a Modtone Power Plant and Voodoo Lab ISO-5 underneath the board to power my pedals. I got the extra mounting brackets from GuitarEffectsPedals.com. FYI, the Modtone Power Plant's rear in / out spacing is a little wider than the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (The ISO5 is a little tall. I had to bend the mounting brackets.)

I had to saw a new hole to connect the the main IEC power input for the Modtone Power Supply. My PT-2's hole size was just over 1 3/8". I used a 1 3/8" hole saw and it looks right.

I really want to figure out how to use a Neutrik powerCON power connector, but I can't come up with a good way to wire it from the powerCON to the IEC inputs on my power supplies.

As a side note you could screw a Furman Pluglock power strip to the back of a Pedaltrain board (PT-Jr - PT-2). I had briefly considered this for my board.

Connections:
    I also decided to use board mounted Redco Audio 1/4" feedthru locking jacks to make setup and tear down as simple and reliable as possible. I used a 15/16" hole saw, which I couldn't find at a local store. There is enough play that I probably could have used a 7/8" hole saw and a file or metal nibbler to clearance as necessary.

I put more connections on the back than I'll probably ever use, but I have 5 for: In, Out, Amplifier Send, Amplifier Return and split out.

Installing Redco Feedthru Locking Jacks:
    Accessories:
    To make certain pedals more accessible I used a few raisers. For the back row on the PT-2 I used Pedaltrain's pedalboard boosters. For the back row of the Pedal Pal, I used two StageTrix Pedal Raisers.

[​IMG]

I also plan to use a Might Bright Duet 2 to light the top of the board, although the Littlite gooseneck lights have caught my eye.

Transport:
    I wanted a hard case (hopefully with wheels) for carrying my board. After measuring I knew I needed at least 37" x 12.5" interior space. It turns out a PT-Pro Hard Case will just fit if you remove the accessory divider (glued and stapled in) and thick padding on the wheel side of the case.

I bought a used PT-Pro with hard case locally. It turned out when I met the guy it wasn't a Pedaltrain brand case, but a "Roadie" brand, not big enough to fit my board. I went thru with the deal and luckily found someone locally wanting to trade for my smaller (and lighter) Roadie case. I sold the PT-Pro board and kept the case. I also sold the PT-2 soft case. In the end, the case cost me less than $50. A great deal!

I will update later showing my modifications to the case and board.

Excess:
    I love the custom colored Pedaltrain boards I've seen and couldn't resist. My dad owns a nice sized sandblasting cabinet and was kind enough to sand blast the board down to bare aluminum (although I'm not sure if this is necessary).

It is currently at a wheel repair shop to be powdercoated. I can't wait to get it back!

[​IMG]

Mounting pedals:
    I keep hearing 3M Dual Lock is the way to go. It's expensive, but I ordered some in clear (have to show off my custom color as much as possible). It's great, I love the audible click and knowing my pedals aren't coming off.

Soldering cables:
    I'm not looking forward to soldering this, but I'm using G&H right foot plugs, Switchcraft 380 straight plugs, and Mogami W2319 instrument cable. I'm also using some Live Wire (?) straight couplers I found at Guitar Center (cannot find online).

Stay tuned as I finish my project.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. grozeil

grozeil Member

Look forward to see the final result!

3. Hey_wilson

Hey_wilson Member

Is that the double wide or the single pedal pal?

Can't wait to see the results!

4. bennettcab

bennettcab Member

Thanks!

It is the double wide.

I got it back today and it is looking good. I should have new pics up tomorrow.

5. Adji

Adji Member

Great work man!

6. bennettcab

bennettcab Member

7. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

This is super sweet. Great work.

8. nbtrue

nbtrue Supporting Member

Looks awesome! You gave me some great ideas too!!

9. papersun

papersun Member

Dang, that looks awesome.

10. Hey_wilson

Hey_wilson Member

11. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

12. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

13. 3LittleBirds

3LittleBirds Member

14. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

Wow, my stock Pedaltrain Pro looks unspeakably ugly by comparison! I must do this! Big problem for me is mounting my Juicebox underneath. Anyone know of any solutions? Risers maybe?

15. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Sweet! Its cool that the PT-Pro case works with the board and Pedal Pal!

16. Analog Delay

Analog Delay I Judge Books By Covers Silver Supporting Member

Very nice work Bennettcab. I have a question. In one of the pictures you had a whole bunch of Voodoo Lab PP2s. Do you do these Pedaltrain mods for other people or did you just buy a bunch of extra PP2s?

I'm asking because I may be interested in getting some mods done in the future. There was a guy named "Brim," who had a Pedaltrain modification business (Ninzan Studios) but he's no longer in business. Let me know if you do these kinds of mods for other people.

Thanks.

17. leonardrock

leonardrock Supporting Member

Awesome board man! I've got two questions for you:
    1. I'm also looking to drill for those Redco jacks, you mentioned a hole saw for this. What does this thing look like? Is it a hand drill or mounted? Did you get it done or do it yourself?

2. I'm trying to compile Pedaltrain mod resources as well. Do you mind if I link to your project in my thread?

Great work!

18. bennettcab

bennettcab Member

Analog Delay, I just love to "hot rod" things. I hardly have the time to finish my own board. I'm just hoping to pass on information and show off my board. Speaking of no time, finishing my board is paused until I put drywall back up in the living room (allowing my wife to paint the living room = valentines day present). I'm also waiting for my dual lock to get in.

For the hole saws I used a drill press to get the pilot holes straight and then used a battery powered drill to cut the holes. I think I had issues getting the drill press to the board (I want to get a floor standing drill press). Here are what my hole saws look like (the hole saw is the white part that mounts to the (black) arbor). I didn't know what an arbor (for a hole saw) was before I started planning for this project:

[​IMG]

I don't mind you using my thread, I'm a fan of cross linking : )

markham likes this.
  19. Wolf Child

Wolf Child Member

Wow! That looks great.

Can't wait to see it loaded.