Benson Amps... Chimera + Vinny = Vincent.

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabinets Demo Videos and Soundclips' started by Furilla, Jan 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Furilla

Furilla Odd Bird

You've probably seen me on some Benson Amps threads, or possibly some of my videos in the Small Luthiers forum. If you have, you know I'm a big fan of Benson Amps and a good friend of Chris'. I just feel like I should share this video because one of his newer designs, the Vincent, is stupid cool. I made a crash course demo video about it.

mmmaslowski and Creighton like this.
  2. Creighton

Creighton Supporting Member

This amp sounds awesome and seems super versatile. Thanks for the demo.

Furilla likes this.
  3. Zman536387

Zman536387 Member

Hey Furilla, and anyone elae reading this. so I've watched Furilla's YouTube videos a thousand times and ended up getting my own Vincent not so long ago. I absolutely love it, the cleans are amazing. I am having some trouble though with a dirt pedal. All my modulation and time based effects work great but when I try to use the distortion pedal the sounds come out pretty dull as if there is a blanket over the sound. I've tried every configuration under the sun and the pedal works great through my other amp. Like I said I love Vincent but any advice on what might be going on would be greatly appreciated.

4. Furilla

Furilla Odd Bird

Bummer! Are you using it with the clean side of the Vincent? Also, what dirt pedal? Have you tried any other dirt pedal with it?

5. MAD 69

MAD 69 Member

I thought Vinnie Vincent was endorsing a new amp for a second there...

6. drewbarries

drewbarries Member

I’m a bit disappointed in how few demos of the Vincent there are, I’m having a hard time deciding on a Benson and unfortunately am unable to play them in person. Anybody have any decent demos of the Vincent? Anyone have any real life practical gigging examples?

7. drewbarries

drewbarries Member

What happened to your video?

8. Furilla

Furilla Odd Bird

Ah! There were some updates to the circuit and so new demo videos are in the works.

drewbarries likes this.
  9. drewbarries

drewbarries Member

Have you played the updated version or can you shed some light on what the changes are?

10. Furilla

Furilla Odd Bird

I couldn't speak to it on a technical level, but I have played the updated version and the tonal interaction between the Distortion and Clean sides is more dialed and harmonious sounding, IMHO. Also, the Distortion side can be driven into some really cool harmonic/octave up zones at extreme setting now. It's good stuff.

drewbarries likes this.
  11. drewbarries

drewbarries Member

I hope to hear the tone of the amp without effects, most of these Benson demos showcase the pedal platform and they do sound great but I want to hear a properly recorded base tone through the range of distortion. If I were to buy a Vincent, it would be based on it’s ability to provide both excellent rich full clean tones and also that nice Vinny OD tone, hope it all comes together, I’m looking forward to some great demos.

12. chasbenson

chasbenson Member

Hi!
    We are working on some new demos for the Vincent. Couldn’t be happier with it after the changes a year ago (we shipped a few before that but recalled em for this update).
    Previously, it really was just a Vinny in the dirt side. Now, it is still a Vinny, but tuned to improve the usefulness of the character of the dirt over the gain range for this particular amp.
    Instead of a cool fuzz tone with an interesting dirty clean, it now sounds like a fuzz face when cranked (but more complex and 3d because while germanium transistors are cool, tubes are going to win) and use-every-day dirty clean. And all the in between distortion tones are good and useful too.
    Sorry for lack of good videos, they have been selling immediately when people hear them and we’re generally really busy. The demos are already shot, we just have to edit them together. Will try to remember to post a link in this thread for you.

drewbarries likes this.