• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Benson Amps Germanium Boost

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Being able to add some bass back in is sure nice.

@splatt weren't you looking for something Ge style like the Broadcast that could add bass in?
yeah, thanks! i was specifically thinking more of not cutting so much bass between the input and the gain (as the original Broadcast does) --- kinda more as the Broadcast AP does --- but re-shaping the bass after the boost seems interesting, too.

i'll check that Spidola!

splatt

I don’t think the Benson boost has the temp control, does it?

A similar rangemaster of sorts with added controls one may want to check out is the Demedash Spidola. I’ve been trying it this week comparing with the demos of the Benson Boost and can get in that ballpark quite nicely. Being able to add some bass back in is sure nice.

@splatt weren't you looking for something Ge style like the Broadcast that could add bass in?
dig that spidola! is there an internal control so that i could re-balance the MIX 'twixt original sound + germy fuzz sound?

oh, no! i take that back; i see how it works, now. clever, cool!

Last edited:

m0b1liz3

I don’t think the Benson boost has the temp control, does it?

A similar rangemaster of sorts with added controls one may want to check out is the Demedash Spidola. I’ve been trying it this week comparing with the demos of the Benson Boost and can get in that ballpark quite nicely. Being able to add some bass back in is sure nice.

You might be right about the temp control. I've seen it stated that it is not there but I think one video suggested that it was (maybe they were mixing it up with the fuzz).

Had a look at the Demedash Spidola. Might be good but it doesn't seem any less expensive.

Meriphew

yeah, thanks! i was specifically thinking more of not cutting so much bass between the input and the gain (as the original Broadcast does) --- kinda more as the Broadcast AP does --- but re-shaping the bass after the boost seems interesting, too.

i'll check that Spidola!
You might want to try out a Spaceman Mercury IV germanium booster.

splatt

You might want to try out a Spaceman Mercury IV germanium booster.

yeah, i checked that one, thanks!

m0b1liz3

Def. no temp control. Just self-biasing.
I wonder how hard it would be to add the self biasing circuit to pre-existing boost designs? Is the self biasing part, separate from the pickup simulator / impedance matching bit? From my understanding, the impedance part is more important if you wanted to put the boost at the end of the chain?

splatt

Doesn't the Broadcast also have a germanium transistor in it? It just doesn't have the temp control or impedance bits.
i’ve got a benson incoming: yay!

yes, broadcast uses germanium, sounds great and can travel far into fuzz-territories.
it is colorful, which might please you; i find my early 24v one very pleasing, but only the AP version seems not to automatically roll-off some bass frequencies.

the benson sounds both fuller, different & “different-feeling” to me, almost as if there’s very little low-end roll-off, or maybe none?

that perception is extra-germane to me, as i’ve played mostly in D-Standard & C#-Standard for decades.

i’ll compare my broadcast to the benson when the benson arrives, but from this distance, they def do not seem to me to sound or feel the same.

augur

Did purchase a Menatone Simplexity some months ago, it is a great Germanium/Boost pedal also.
I did have a Broadcast running sometimes at 9v, and sometimes at 24v, but finally sold it because it was sounding always a bit too harsh for me (with a Jazzmaster.
The Simplexity has softer highs, very warm lows (actually a bass cut would be useful), a lot of volume on tap, and you can adjust gain.
So I don't see the utility of this Benson Boost for me.

However the fact that it can be placed before a Fuzzface, without an impedance problem (see Andy's video) is a smart thing !

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
looks interesting to me! I love the sound of a germ fuzz face right before it goes into insanity but a bit past the clean/dirty stage. I've always used an analogman surface for these parts but they can be fussy in the warm weather {actually they are fussy in warm weather!}

pedals are great & if I had more money I'd seek out and have way more than I do. I've been using the same kitty & horse trading for the past 15 years. the overdrive market is at the highest point of available quality products that I can ever recall. they beauty of owning a pedal and not using it everyday is what typically makes me sell them but that's been a constant source of regret.

hellski, I'm on my third flint right now, but I digress; benson is a builder that builds interesting, useful and musical sounding gear for guitarists.

regarding promotional copy: life is a performance folks & humanity's calling card.

regarding yet another pedal: tradescant the elder's collection was a ‘world of wonders in one closet shut’

mpeg5

So has anyone payed one yet?
I got mine today.
Was only possible to check briefly.

The first impression is very positive.
It is built very well and feels nice.

When used at 5 it is basically not adding any volume to the signal.
But still it is doing something very pleasing.

It feels like this is a ‘bettermaker’.
It definitely colors the sound for my ears and it’s not exactly what I would consider clean.

Pushing it is adding a lot to my amp.
I would say it is what I expect from Andy demos… for me it confirms that he is really doing a great job and showing off pedals.

I can see using this as an always on type of pedal.

All that said I am not sure if it is worth the money for what it is for me.

But I am sure one can have very good results with this gem.

Go try / buy one :)

pbone

" boost that can utilize a germanium transistor WITHOUT the weird artifacts that were previously accepted as part of the deal...temperature sensitivity, drift, and suboptimal input impedance and headroom. "
feels like these problems are completely invented out of thin air. never in my life have i ever said "dang this boost pedal would be great if it didn't have all these artifacts"

the heck is drift supposed to be? what?

flpul

Silver Supporting Member
Any techies care to dissect how the heck this thing is “self biasing” the germanium transistor?
Totally guessing but maybe using a PTC thermistor? Essentially resistors that change resistance with temperature which would allow the transistor to be originally biased in line with a thermistor on the same temp curve as whatever Ge transistor he’s using. It doesn’t sound easy that way and maybe he came up with something much smarter but within a common temperature margin of 50-100 degF, maybe could find a good match, fun summer internship work of chart diving perhaps.
So he did something much smarter:
utilized a voltage controlled error correction circuit to bias a single germanium transistor

flpul

Silver Supporting Member
feels like these problems are completely invented out of thin air. never in my life have i ever said "dang this boost pedal would be great if it didn't have all these artifacts"

the heck is drift supposed to be? what?
component drift, ie as resistors age, especially carbon comp resistors, they increase in resistance and drift off of their part spec; his error correction circuit is monitoring the voltage and will self correct the transistor bias to account for component drift. He's saying this great sounding boost will always sound exactly like this in most any ambient temperature...

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom