1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Benson Custom Jazzmaster Pickup Set

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Reviews' started by Scheckenbacker, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Scheckenbacker

Scheckenbacker Member

Purchased hardware: Benson Custom Jazzmaster Pickup set (8.1k neck, 9.7k bridge)
    https://www.bensoncustom.com/product-page/jazzmaster-set
    Gear used: '13 Fender CP Jazzmaster w/ Rothstein PTB mod (stock 1meg pots, 1meg bass/treble tone pots), Ibanez TSA15 w/ Eminence JS-1250 (TAD 7025WA v1)

Got my Bensons last week and I like them a lot. They are not traditional JM pups at all though (not that the CP P90s are either). MUCH beefier tone, more like a Strat. Seem to be very low noise too, though I'm not sure how much of that can be attributed to the pickups and how much is because of the cavity shielding. Regardless, they've been very quiet for single coils. Very thick, punchy, but also more bluesy and twangy than any JM pup I've heard so far. Probably because the bobbin is taller and the wire is wound taller and narrower. I was initially a bit dismayed but I have the Rothstein PTB mod on my JM and when I roll the bass down all the way, the JM tones start peeking out. In fact, I don't know how happy I'd be with these pups if it wasn't for the PTB mod. That is in no way a criticism of the Bensons but I bought a JM primarily because of how it sounds. If I couldn't roll the bass off, I would have returned them but it's a wonderfully versatile guitar now. I may get a vintage 65 neck pup down the road to see what it would sound like, but I am quite satisfied with how it turned out, even if it wasn't what I expected.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. baiff

baiff Member

I have a set of his telecaster pickups (8K A3 bridge and 7.5K A5 neck) and they are a favorite of mine. I would definitely consider John to wind pickups for my next project.