Benson Nathan Jr.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dividedsky, Aug 20, 2019.

1. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

I haven't seen a thread about this amp yet so I figured I would start one. They were available for pre-order for a while and I assume they are in production now but haven't been released.

Info - http://www.bensonamps.com/amps/nathanjunior

Videos:

Spirithunter likes this.
  2. Tritone

Tritone Member

I think it sounds great. $1649 in case anyone was wondering.

3. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

the watt/dollar ratio looks odd to me

4. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I got pretty excited about the Raising Arizona nod but I guess I’m not now

soli528 likes this.
  5. dividedsky

I never really understood this way of thinking. Other than the cost of the transformers I dont know that there is much difference in the work involved in making a 5 watt vs 50 watt amp.

6. frijoleghost

frijoleghost Supporting Member

fender charged less for a champ than a twin, i believe

7. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

..there are plenty of less expensive low watt amps out there....some of em have a lot more knobs too....

...pricing on small shop high end gear is about making a decent living and staying in business...

....you can buy a Squier strat or a Danocaster...(gotta buy em used now I guess)...huge difference in cost per string...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Jabberwocky and Halsey like this.
  8. dividedsky

For sure. Benson is also charging less for this amp than their higher wattage ones.

Jabberwocky, Halsey and rhinocaster like this.
  9. Tritone

Tritone Member

Anyone picked one of these up?

el guapo likes this.
  10. brmaki

brmaki Member

I would absolutely love one of these, a bit too far out of my price range for now and I don't really want to sell other stuff to fund one but I hope to pick one up at some point. They sound absolutely killer in the videos I've seen.

el guapo likes this.
  11. AStrangeDay

AStrangeDay Member

without opening another thread i would like to hear some impression of this amp from those who own/have used it.. it sounds really really good, does it sound good with fuzz and distortion in general?

12. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

I'd love to hear some comparison videos between this and comparable 5 watt amps e.g. Swart STR Trem, Tone King Gremlin etc. Seems a little overpriced but Id still,like to give it a test drive.

Peppy likes this.
  13. RealJarrod

RealJarrod Member

I just got one today and played for about an hour on it. I was a little surprised at how loud it was even low on the volume but the overall tone was pretty consistent even at lower volumes. As far as taking fuzz/ overdrive pedals it sounds really good. My other amp is a 66 super reverb. Clean I think this amp is closer to that fender tone than something like a vox but it definitely has its own character...hard to explain but not as chimey as fender amps and a little fuller in the mids. Overall very rounded sound. Now the reverb is something else altogether. Maybe the best I've heard (this is why I mention my super). The fuzzes I tried were an analogman sunface, the jhs big cheese clone and a rams rams big muff clone. I would say the sunface sounded pretty much the same as through the super but big cheese was a little different, a little thicker than through the fender. The big muff kind of sounds the same through any of the amps I've played it through so not much to say there...still sounds good. My over drive is an analogman king of tone. I don't get to really crank my super much when playing in my house so I end up using the high gain channel more. I don't think I'll need to do that with this amp...the transparent drive channel and the amps normal breakup sound really good and while different than the sound with my fender, I like it a lot. So far I like it a lot, didn't get the flubby bottom end thing that the blues Jr it replaced did when cranking/ driving the amp. This amp has a really unique character that I personally dig and had a lot more punch and clarity at lower volumes than I was expecting and the same with clarity at high volumes ( I was worried about just one 10in speaker vs a 12in) again the reverb is just unreal. Hope this helps, couldn't really find any reviews of this amp before buying.

kbee, pirateflynn, dividedsky and 3 others like this.
  14. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Great review. Thanks! He likes mids. If its anything like the Monarch and Chimera, the mids would be very full.

Can you speak a little more about the reverb, especially in comparison to your Super?

RealJarrod likes this.
  15. RealJarrod

RealJarrod Member

Hey thanks! The reverb on the Benson sounds a lot more like the reverb you get naturally from playing in different sized rooms until until you get to around 7 or so, from around 7-8 it almost sounds like your amp is under water (maybe not the best description but that is the first thing that came to my mind playing) then around 9-10 it sounds like the amp is totally wet, like only the reverb sound, not your regular guitar signal. This might be pretty cool to use the Benson as a second amp. To my ears, after around 3 or 4 on the Super the reverb starts to get spiky and crashing (think Dick Dale), the Benson doesn't really do that at all. Both really good but pretty different to my ears. I was also playing a telecaster with slightly hot vintage style pick ups. I haven't played my Les Paul through it yet, but I imagine that will also have a pretty drastic effect on the sound.

pirateflynn likes this.