Benson Preamp Hype/Reality Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JokeSmuggler, May 18, 2018.

1. Kennyscrown

Kennyscrown Member

So now that we’ve got that straight...:)

Is the Chase Bliss preamp the same basic circuit as the Benson Preamp, but with with the added candy - faders, fuzz etc?

mmmaslowski and vlammie like this.
  2. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack

I certainly didn’t mean to implicate you! You’re just doing what the customer has asked for. How others present their wares is a separate matter :D

83lltunneL, dshobe and chasbenson like this.
  3. vlammie

vlammie Member

Yessir!

Kennyscrown likes this.
  4. sutherland

sutherland Member

Great sounding pedal. Reminds me of the Blackout Effectors Mantra.

5. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

6. KCR9

KCR9 Supporting Member

I didn't really need another one of these, but I splurged and ordered one of these gold ones last night. It just looked too good to pass up.

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  7. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Looks nice, but too Klon-ish for me. My favorite color for this pedal is still the standard gray with the blue CME version tied with the GPS black and cream for second place.

aaronjcurtis and JokeSmuggler like this.
  8. JokeSmuggler

I like the black one too but dang that gold and oxblood...I didn’t really think Klon as much as sparkly tweed. Honestly it got me off the fence. I had ordered one of the first batch but had to cancel due to finances, and I’ve been fence-sitting since. No more!

JumpinBradFlash and Gallery like this.
  9. 83lltunneL

83lltunneL Supporting Member

It’s all good. You’d commented earlier on surface mounting sounding better than through-hole. Do you know why there’s any difference in the sound? Just curious. I thought it was interesting.

10. 83lltunneL

83lltunneL Supporting Member

That’s a pretty pedal, alright.

11. JokeSmuggler

Just dropping in to say I can’t believe how good this thing sounds! FWIW I’m using a Monarch and was just not sure what I would be getting into. It is like more of this amp. The gain structure has that same complex upper mid that makes Benson stuff so special. I usually run the Monarch on 2 and boost if needed. The Preamp can totally disappear into the amp or you can EQ it differently. I set mine to get some more of that spanky top end and it’s just phenomenal. I have it set with the gain pretty low so it stays tight, but it has some really cool saggy tones in it if you crank the gain. It reacts just like an amp as far as compression and sensitivity. Can’t say what it does in other amps, but if you are playing a Benson amp already, this might be the best purchase you’ll make.

Hype = reality

:dude:dude:dude:dude:dude (5/5 rawkfists)

12. blue62

blue62 Member

Did nothing for me with a Princeton. Just made it dull, not a good match for the sounds I like.
    I passed it on the a friend who runs a tweed twin and he couldn't get his money out fast enough.
    Absolutely loves it.

13. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Surprised it didn't work well with your Princeton. I can confirm that it's great with a tweed twin though

secreature likes this.
  14. IggyZiggyLou

IggyZiggyLou Member

I got the pink one. I love it. I run it into an Analogman modded Boss GE-7 that runs on 18v. The combo of the two is absolutely stellar. I play a strat into a Princeton. I usually chase jangly full-bodied crunch; like Dinosaur Jr meets the New York Dolls. And this delivers.

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  15. aaronjcurtis

aaronjcurtis Member

Works great with my Princeton. Just another example of how we all hear differently.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  16. JokeSmuggler

Yeah, it could be any other gear too. I know my setup is pretty unusual lol.
    -Tele FMT with ceramic Enforcers and series switching
    -Thomastik Jazz Swing .11s (wound 3rd)
    -Pedalboard (included KTR buffer before)
    -Radial SGI to Benson Monarch and cab

17. krr149

krr149 Member

Dino Jr jangle and full body crunch sounds ideal. May I ask how you’re setting the Benson for it?

18. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

@chasbenson I have no pull here but would love to see an El Diablo (guitar shop) red version. Alan is great with social media so promotion would be good, and I think those would look awesome (plus I would buy one).

19. IggyZiggyLou

IggyZiggyLou Member

I have the treble cranked, bass ten o'clock, volume eight o'clock, gain three o'clock. The EQ pedal boosting upper mids and little top end sparkle. I really think a good EQ is essential to the sounds I've been chasing and the Benson fits so nicely.

garthb309 likes this.
  20. blue62

blue62 Member

Just not my jazz. I like a bit of sparkle from my OD and wasn't hearing that. I play a lot of arpeggiated chords and triad stuff and there is a certain jangle I want to hear. I know I have some top end hearing loss too so there's that :) But I love the sound of a Euphoria, Phat Mod, Screwdriver, Black Box so there are plenty of OD's that do work for me in that setup.
    Indeed, we are probably chasing different sounds with different guitars and different styles of playing.
    Interesting. I would probably love your tone but don't want to run an EQ after my OD to get me to that place. Most of the time I'm just running one drive. Where you've described boosting is exactly what I would have needed to have done to get the Benson to a place I'd be happy. I was running the treble flat out and wanting more. I spend a lot of time in the middle position of a Tele or on the neck pickup of my Strat so I want that sparkle there.

JokeSmuggler and JumpinBradFlash like this.