Benson Preamp Hype/Reality Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JokeSmuggler, May 18, 2018.

1. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

Hey Gang,

My 2c when it comes to the Benson Preamp - it's phenomenally good, even at very low drive settings (how I keep mine set). I run it in conjunction with the Neunaber Neuron and then off DI - all of that sounds like an amp to my ears. The Neuron is wonderful piece of gear in iteslf, but paired with the Preamp - that's such a tasteful and melodic tone with minimal tweaking. Love it!

Thanks!

2. wookiefoot

wookiefoot Gold Supporting Member

I really thought the Hudson broadcast was going to keep the benson off my board. Wrong again. The benson works with all my amps and guitars. I felt the broadcast shined with single coils at 24v but got fizzy with my humbuckers.

I crank the gain on the benson and use my volume knob for chime to full. So flexible. I’d even consider two at a time :)

JokeSmuggler, tawtaw and mmmaslowski like this.
  3. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

Thanks for sharing the info about the Broadcast; coincidentally, I had been considering getting it over the Benson, but ran into a demo video of it where it sounded rather thin & fizzy, so I passed on it.

I am so glad that I went with the Benson - it sounds unbelievably good, and I run most of my rig direct. Plus, @chasbenson has got to be one of the nicest folks I've encountered in my life :)

4. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

I'll have to say that a Vinny circuit in a pedal would be a dream-come-true, at least to me. Thanks!

5. noelneb

noelneb Member

I have a Klon before the Benson. If I'm using the Benson and I need more boost, I'll kick the Klon in. It just makes the drive sound even better!

6. Chrosa

Chrosa Member

I tried one out at CME a couple days ago. Definitely a killer classic rock sound.

7. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

Mini Vinny

mmmaslowski likes this.
  8. rectifried

rectifried Member

Looking forward to playing the preamp pedal.. great vids online.

9. Daniel Jaquith

Daniel Jaquith Supporting Member

Stopped by Chris's shop the other day and picked up a Preamp Pedal.

My goodness. It sounds really really good through my Monarch.

The hype is real people.

10. musicbliss

musicbliss Supporting Member

What exactly is the difference between a preamp pedal and a boost/od pedal?

11. Sebastian_bha

Sebastian_bha Member

Necesito a alguien que me ayude. Será el pedal ideal para simular un amplificador. para combinarlo con el cabzeus y llegar directamente a la mesa de control. Sin pasar por los amplificadores físicos.

Primus DuPont likes this.
  12. Sebastian_bha

Sebastian_bha Member

I need someone to help me. it will be the ideal pedal to simulate an amp. to combine it with the cabzeus and there straight to the control table. without going through physical amplifiers.

13. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

More than attainable, as per @corndog87:

The somewhat problematic part in running any preamp direct could be the missing power amp section of the signal chain. Therefore, a power amp is usually desired. If you plan on doing so, @chasbenson has suggested how to do it optimally:

If you don’t plan on utilizing the power amp at all, perhaps something like the Two Notes C.A.B.M would render good results? It has power amp simulation built in.

I would start direct with the Preamp and then gradually expand until you find your tone. Good luck!

tawtaw likes this.
  14. Tabor

Tabor Supporting Member

If the "preamp" is designed to go in front of the amplifier then there really isn't much of a difference. The Benson has the name "preamp" because it is based on the Preamp section of the Chimera. A true preamp pedal can replace the preamp section of your amplifier and be run straight into a power amp which the Benson can do but that's not necessarily what it was designed to do unlike some of the Kingsley stuff for example. Here's a bit more that I posted in a different thread on that topic: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28080854/

musicbliss likes this.
  15. bistro

bistro Member

I've had this coming up on a year now and it's maybe my favorite pedal of all time. I use an American Standard Tele into a DRRI, and I almost always have it set for low gain overdrive with a little volume boost (it punches the amp super nicely). My favorite part about the pedal is the way it takes other overdrives. For the last few years I've been trying all sorts of drives, stacking them, etc. and just got super tired of it. I finally found this one and it hit what I was looking for in low gain.

It takes pedals just like an overdriven amp; tube screamer, klon, rat, fuzz, whatever, it just takes everything else super well and is the first time I've loved many of the "traditional" overdrive sounds into my amp. It just takes all the best parts and filters out all the ugly parts somehow. It's also so touch responsive that I rarely even use other drives any more in a set unless I'm looking for a specific sound or for lead stuff, just responds great to volume control and touch. You can go from fat, pretty cleans to a big loud overdrive just with picking style.

To keep the review honest, I'm not as big a fan as some others at the higher gain stuff, it's just a little loose to me. Which is perfectly fine for me, because it's a great low-medium overdrive and then put a TS/Klon/name-your-boost in front and it just tightens it up and is perfect. Also to answer some other questions on it, I'm using into IR's for practice purposes and amp-dies-one-me situations and it also sounds really nice there as well!

16. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

I have mine set the same. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m running the Benson into another Benson (Monarch) but one of my favorite things about it is the top end snap and clarity that it adds. It’s just gorgeous. Nice review!

bistro and mmmaslowski like this.
  17. JJackson

JJackson Member

I am planning to go the Benson Preamp > Fryette PS-2 > Pine 1x12 cab route myself. Curious to hear how close it comes to sounding like a Monarch or Chimera. I'd love a Monarch rig, but I'm hoping this might get me about 90% of the way there for about half the price.

Trotter likes this.
  18. crumjack

crumjack Member

Has anyone used the Benson and the JHS Clover. I was interested in the Clover as a clean boost and treble boost and it's EQ flexibility. Looks like the Benson can give me this and provide some dirt. I play strats and teles so I'm looking for a boost/tone sweetener as my priority.

19. Fulminata19

Fulminata19 Member

No personal experience there, but this recent episode of That Pedal Show does cover basically exactly what you're asking for with those two. If you hop down to the description you should be able to skip to the parts that are relevant to just that.

mmmaslowski likes this.
  20. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Well, the hype is real. The Preamp is officially my favorite dirt pedal I’ve ever heard, along with the RevivalDrive. I’m going to have both on my board for different sounds/versatility, along with a BJFe Model D for its excellent higher gain D style tones.

I loved the Preamp so much upon hearing it, that I immediately put in an order for a Benson Chimera head and 2x12 cab in the Old Mexico finish. It’s gonna be epic...

Shout out to Palen Music Center for their excellent service when ordering the pedal and the amp. They’ve been amazing to work with.

Pedalboard order testing mess ahead... :D

[​IMG]