Benson Preamp Hype/Reality Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JokeSmuggler, May 18, 2018.

1. mmmaslowski

mmmaslowski Member

Oh man, you’re in for a massive treat :) I have a Vinny + the cab in the same (awesome) finish on order and I’m beyond excited. I can only imagine how you feel about getting a Chimera, man!

I run the Preamp with the Polaris Overdrive, and the Neuron; now, I’ll consider running it with the RevivalDrive, as you have.

The hype is totally real!

your name here likes this.
  2. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Awesome! The Polaris is great, as well. I just needed something a bit different and room was limited, so mine went. Never tried a Neuron. I’m curious, but honestly, I’m pretty set for dirt and fuzz for now.

About the Old Mexico finish - Chris Benson told me that fabric is almost gone and they can’t find more. So ours will maybe be some of the last made in that finish. It looks SO GOOD. I’m stoked. I really like the Aunt Gertie finish as well though.... and the Classic Striped... and the Night Moves. It was hard to pick. So many beautiful possibilities. But I know I chose right. :love::drool

mmmaslowski likes this.
  3. AR999

AR999 Member

I loved the Benson and I hate most tone shaping pedals. I have the first edition Friedman Dirty Shirley head I bought it years ago expecting it not to be JCM 800 style gain, well of course it had more, after the endless fight with pedals, here comes the Benson, I only had one other pedal the Flint, now it’s two Bensons and a Flint, I backed off the gain and now have a serious two channel amp. Worth every penny. One Warm and clean and one “channel “ smooth and crunchy. Love Dave’s work, the Benson lives up to the hype, it only helps your amp.

your name here likes this.
  4. your name here

I’m thinking about getting either the Suhr Reactive Load IR or going cheap and getting a Mooer Radar (depending on how a couple of sales go...) has anyone tried the Benson Preamp w/an IR loader? What were your results? I’m gonna want to use headphones for late night practice too... I also have a RevivalDrive Custom that I’m using.

I’m more wondering whether I’ll get good headphone tones (using Sennheiser HD650’s) really, as I’m sure direct etc. will be fine on both.

5. JJackson

JJackson Member

To follow up on this... The Benson Preamp > Fryette PS-2 > Fane A60 in 1x12 pine cab sounds incredible. Not sure how it compares to full Chimera or Monarch rig but wow. Really amazing sounds.

6. your name here

That sounds like a cool setup. I still need to try mine in a power amp or direct setup.

I’m going to update the thread with my thoughts on how the pedal compares to the amp when my Chimera arrives in a few months. :)

JJackson likes this.
  7. AR999

AR999 Member

Id love to hear the real deal review of the amp, but unless I’m in a real studio vs a basement I think headphones don’t translate at all, just my opinion, don’t want to step on toes.

8. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

Got a pink one on the way. My wife and I have two boys and are going to try for a third. She approved the pink benson for good juju to have a girl. Hoping for good tones and good vibes!

JokeSmuggler and straightblues like this.
  9. your name here

I’ve been really tempted to get a pink one and a black on black one. I just really don’t need them, as I have an olive green one. Haha

10. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

My Timmy is surf green and I have turquoise ripply fall from jam. Might as well get a pink pedal!

11. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I know a guy who had two girls and tried for a third hoping it would be a boy. Ended up with twin girls.

12. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

Lol same! We have friends who had two boys who tried for a girl and got twin boys. Don’t jinx it!

Gallery likes this.
  13. Class5

Class5 Member

Dayumm….I'm gassin' for one of these sooo bad and I don't need yet another drive pedal.

14. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

i sold my OCD and an RC booster to help fund the benson preamp. my drive chain will be as follows:

Forest Green Compressor Hand wired (sustain mode) -> Benson Preamp -> Snouse Black Box 2 -> Timmy

Might play around with the order a bit, but i'm going to use the compressor and the benson to restore some feel when i play low volumes especially at home (especially with a non mv z-28).

pretty excited. i'm looking at the benson for feel more than anything else. can't wait!

JokeSmuggler and Class5 like this.
  15. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

I don’t get it.

16. Class5

Class5 Member

LOL You're only making my predicament worse.

trojanhov likes this.
  17. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Nice! A new pedal and sex! Usually doesn't work that way. :rolleyes:

Jazzmaster60, Class5 and trojanhov like this.
  18. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

Groovy, I was curious how it sounded used as a functional preamp, not just drive pedal.

19. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

Pinky came two days early!

mmmaslowski likes this.
  20. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

Yup. This pedal is a keeper. At bedroom levels the low gain and higher gain sounds make playing my z-28 fun again. It feels cranked but it’s not! It also gives the amp a diff character with the powerful eq section. There’s no bad sound in this pedal!

[​IMG] [​IMG]