Benson Preamp Hype/Reality Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JokeSmuggler, May 18, 2018.

1. Pinchbeck

Pinchbeck Member

Long-time reader, first-time poster here with a question for the community: How noisy are your Benson Preamp pedals? I just got one, in part after reading all the positive reports about them in this forum, but when switched on there is a scratching/bubbling/boiling sound that increases as I turn the volume knob up. The noise is always present, appearing even when there is no input signal going into the pedal. This doesn't seem right to me, especially since I get no strange noises using the same setup with my Greer Lightspeed pedal. So did I get a defective pedal, or are the Benson Preamps really noisy? I am assuming the former, given that none of the reviews I have read (or demos I have heard) talk about an unusual background noise, but I would love to hear from other Benson Preamp owners about this. Thanks!

2. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I’d check your signal and power supply cables for solid connections and ground issues. That description sounds like you have a bad cable or a bad ground somewhere.

My Preamp isn’t noisy.

Pinchbeck and Jack DeVille like this.
  3. dbbude

dbbude Member

I don't have this issue and also use a Lightspeed as well.
    Benson is quiet (got in December).
    My first step would be to troubleshoot patch cables and power source.

4. FAC

FAC Member

By any chance is the pedal in a true bypass looper? Mine is not noisy and I also have a Lightspeed.

Jack DeVille likes this.
  5. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Are most of you using it as a boost /od? Or as s true preamp and bypassing ur amps preamp section

6. your name here

As an overdrive, here. I haven’t even tried it straight into a power amp yet, but I will eventually and plan to make a demo using it and the RevivalDrive Custom (which I also have) in this manner.

I also have a Benson Chimera on order and plan to compare it to the Preamp. :)

7. Blunder

Blunder Supporting Member

That doesn’t sound right. Mine is not noisy at all. Check your cables and power supply. And try it on battery power and see if there is still noise.

8. TCMx3

TCMx3 Supporting Member

Im still using mine. Sole OD on my board since I got it.

Prefer it with amps that have a bit more mids; it works really well with my Bartel if Im feeling too lazy to go fiddle with the knobs on the amp.

I like the drive sound of the Revival Drive a bit more but the Benson is smaller, true bypass, much cheaper and much less finicky.

Overall I think it's a really, really good pedal as long as you like the way it sounds.

I think this pedal was done a disservice when it first came out wrt demos. Really havent heard any that make it sound nearly as good as it can if you run it into the right amp (which IMO is a Tweed/Marshall rather than a Deluxe Reverb).

YMMV

Tabor, Lamby and JokeSmuggler like this.
  9. JJackson

JJackson Member

In this particular setup it sounds fantastic, although I did recently hand of the preamp duties to Fryette GP/DI which is obviously way more flexible. I can now switch to the Clean channel on the Fryette and run the Benson pre for that sweet Benson goodness.

MasterEvan07 likes this.
  10. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

Sounds amazing through my dr. Z z-28 (amp with mids)

11. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Gold Supporting Member

I'll back this suggestion with 9 or 10 years experience troubleshooting pedalboard gremlins; 99.99999...% of the problems/culprits we see are "bad"/funky cables.

It's really shocking.

A cable may seem all wavy gravy and smooth but simply swapping out a cable VERY frequently eliminates any and all concerns. This is not limited to patch cables either. I have seen power cables (from PSU to effects unit) cause similar problems more times than I can remember.

While I consider myself to be at least "not a dummy" and totally capable of finding a logical/scientific reason for whatever concern may arise, the cable thing continues to elude me.

At my shop, the first step we always recommend is isolating the suspect/noisy pedal to a overly simple signal chain; just guitar --> pedal --> amp, with a BRAND NEW (as in fresh from the store, not unopened package from whenever) Name Brand battery (DuraCell is my personal go to) if applicable, to see if the noise persists. If no battery option/provision is available, we always recommend a basic "1spot" 9VDC power adapter as a solid test supply (as cheap as they are, they are solid and just don't ever break; well okay, after 7 years we've seen the physical stress points give way but we are super hard on gear at my shop just due to the nature of having things running and being plugged in/out for years on end).

If you find that the simple setup with a few different cables and power supplies or a fresh 9V battery still caused concern, my recommendation is to contact the manufacturer.
    I know Chris on a personal level, in addition to our professional relationship, and he will be able to sort it out for you.

Hope this helps out, and don't be discouraged. Weird things happened and more often than not, the simple solutions are the ones that evade us the longest!

12. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

13. your name here

I can tell how great this sounds just by the pedals you listed. Currently I’m ears deep in Elliott Smith’s Waltz #1, but I’ll check it out ASAP. :)

EDIT: Yep. Awesome. Thanks for sharing. :beer

14. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

Interested in this pedal, but have to wonder why there are so many of these for sale already.

15. your name here

Because this is TGP and people are forever compelled to try the flavor of the minute. Most people’s gear budget isn’t huge, so it’s last in, first out.

16. remocity

I've been here a long time and understand that, but this is more than that.

Unusual number for sale here and on Reverb.

17. your name here

They’ve also been releasing different colors... it could be selling one to get another.

Or maybe it’s because it actually sounds horrible and everyone in this thread is brainwashed and hard of hearing. Only one way to find out. :D

18. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Aren’t they a relatively simple circuit made with SMD? I thought I read that somewhere in this thread. If so, it should be easy to make a boatload of them pretty quickly.

Or, are all the ones you’re seeing used?

19. remocity

Yes....Used.

20. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

6 used on reverb.... how many king of tones? At least 24... the fact they’re on the used market doesn’t mean it sounds bad...39 reviews on reverb and only one 4 star.... the rest 5 star. It’s a sick pedal. But you won’t know until u try it.

your name here likes this.