Benson Preamp Hype/Reality Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JokeSmuggler, May 18, 2018.

1. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

KOT's are selling because of the mark up due to a long waiting list for new units.

Don't get me wrong, I want one, but have to wonder why there are so many for sale.

chasbenson likes this.
  2. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

Hard to tell man. Again, maybe custom colors making ppl sell their standard ones for other colors. Maybe it’s not someone’s cup of tea? I’ve played long enough and through enough drives to know the benson preamp is special. There’s honeymoon phases with new products, but it’s gonna take an extremely special drive to oust my benson, snouse bb2, and Timmy. These three are versatile and sound great. Timmy is on end of drive chain boost duties, benson is always on edge of break up to just breaking up sounds, and the bb2 stacks for higher gain sounds. I don’t play metal so this is enough gain for me! Ymmv of course.

chasbenson likes this.
  3. chasbenson

chasbenson Member

6 used? That’s .02% of the 3000 or so we’ve sold that are up for sale on Reverb. And we’re not artificially limiting production to drive that number down, or the price up for that matter.

4. chasbenson

chasbenson Member

Sorry to lurk...this thread overall has been really encouraging to us. Thanks to everyone who has given it a chance, even if it didn’t end up being your thing. And as usual hit me up if there’s any issues...info@bensonamps.com

mojo_pin, TCMx3, djudemcg and 11 others like this.
  5. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

I have over 20 popular, boutique overdrive pedals. The Benson is easily in the top 3.

The usable range is incredible (boost through distortion) and it has a very responsive amp-like feel.

6. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

Gah... I would love one of these, but I can't decide which one because ALL of the custom colour options are awesome!

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  7. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

This is accurate!!!

8. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

I love my Olive Green one, but the Pink and the Black on Back ones are super cool.

9. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I have always hated this "wondering."

your name here likes this.
  10. trojanhov

trojanhov Member

Pretty in Pink
    [​IMG]

11. dbbude

dbbude Member

Interesting discovery today. I run my Benson after my Greer Lightspeed. Today, I had a few minutes and thought to myself: why not put the Benson first so all sound colors come after the preamp? This really muddied up the sound and I switched it back. I realize a large point of the tone comes from my hands and YMMV but just wanted to pass along.

12. warren3333

warren3333 Supporting Member

I bought my (orange !) Benson Preamp on a whim, from Andertons. Didnt really need it - you know the drill... and I thought that it was pricey at £250 initially, and I fully expected to send it back...

But it really does have something special about it... i tend to use mine as an always on, very low gain kinda eq pedal. It just adds something to my already glorious Carr Mercury V...

One of those ‘musical’ pedals, we sometimes talk about...

Excellent.

13. ModifiedSound

ModifiedSound Supporting Member

Was a bit hyped to me. Thank god a I bought it used and sold it for a small profit. Did not work in any of the applications I wanted it to. Did not care for the gain character. It also was not very articulate with my setup. Will say it was incredibly dynamic and responsive to your playing. Probably the most responsive next to a honey bee, which I like more... It really is an amp in a box, I just didnt like the amp it was emulating... The range of usability for me did not justify the price. I sold it and ordered a Smallsound mini. Also looking to try a Hudson broadcast... The quest goes on...

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  14. theanalogdream

I just ordered one on reverb from Cosmo. Excited to give it a whirl! I went with the standard grey, cause it just looks classy. Will report back!

15. theanalogdream

I know this is kinda cliche, but I'm super blown away by the preamp!
    I plugged into it directly with my Danocaster with my Magic 5E3 and played it for a good 45 minutes.
    The range of gain is totally useable across the whole dial of the knob. Pair that with the EQ section, and it can be tight and clean, or wooly and raucous. I think it'll be going on the main board very quickly!

JokeSmuggler and your name here like this.
  16. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Awesome. Congrats!

17. riscado

riscado Member

Funny I've tried it exactly with the same setup as well. I still think it's a great pedal.

theanalogdream likes this.
  18. theanalogdream

Nice! Are you in London, England? Or Ontario?

19. riscado

riscado Member

London England. I have a Danocaster, which I'm unfortunately selling, also a couple of Gretsch Stephen Sterns, so a setup very similar to yours. I usually play through a Magic deluxe or a Vibro prince.

theanalogdream likes this.
  20. Jwblanton

Jwblanton Supporting Member

Wanted to chime in on a use I haven’t see discussed too much. I don’t want to like my Helix but it’s proven impossible to ignore its utility for switching and access to pedals I wouldn’t want a board big enough to drag around. Ive used the Benson both as a preamp into the Helix and using onboard IRs and also as an additional “preamp” into the FRFR taking the Helix out and having another level of tone and gain control after all the digital stuff.
    As a preamp substitute, I normally only use the Matchstick or Deluxe models. The Benson does a great job of substituting those models and is a hair easier to dial in on the fly if the stage is boomy or too loud. Using at the end Of the chain before the FRFR or DI is even more powerful.
    The hardest thing to deal with on a Helix remains the fact we are used to hearing our amps and just hoping the crowd hears a miced and processed signal thats similar while the Helix is the post processed signal going out to FOH. Very different playing experience and I think using a preamp like the Benson does a great job in bridging the sound we are expecting from an amp on a processed signal that’s headed straight to the board. IMO

JokeSmuggler likes this.