Benson Preamp Hype/Reality Thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JokeSmuggler, May 18, 2018.

1. Scheckenbacker

Scheckenbacker Member

So I did just that, ran the Preamp into a power amp. However, it seems kinda muffled, like it's missing a lot of high-mids. When I run a Tumnus into it, it sounds waaaay better but on its own, it left a lot to be desired. Was I doing something wrong?

2. LordDragonFly

LordDragonFly Member

PSA alert! Hype/Reality thread eh... Well I'd have to say hype...just an amazing PR achievement.
    When I got this thing I couldn't believe it. First I thought maybe it's broken. Then I thought OK it's not what I imagined so I tried various amps and completely re-adjusted my amps every way imaginable.
    I felt victimized. I felt dumb. I tried stacking this thing before and after whatever. I gave it a rest and revisited days later. I tried to figure out who it's for since it's obviously not for me.
    I never post on here or anywhere really but I felt the need to say something... So OK ya win some ya lose some but this one stands out. I rarely pay this much for a pedal (the last time was when i bought the Mini Bone from PTD and I only paid $200.00 for that) - that's a great pedal by the way.
    So if you feel adventursome and have some very disposable cash... Otherwise try to find one of these you can plug in first because you'll know really fast if this thing ain't in your wheelhouse.
    Oh and who do I think it's for? Best guess is atmospheric strummers who don't need their notes to have any weight or body and don't mind dissappearing into the mix...It's great for that!

Tritone and remocity like this.
  3. chasbenson

chasbenson Member

Did you use a buffer between them? The power amp probably has very low input impedance which can lead to a muffled sound.

4. JJackson

JJackson Member

Just curious, are you running this into a clean or dirty amp?

5. LordDragonFly

LordDragonFly Member

So JJackson...Did you read the part where is said "I tried various amps and completely re-adjusted my amps every way imaginable." ???
    So I'm not looking for help. I already moved this thing on.
    If you're looking for help...I've already given my help in my post. Public Service Anouncement.
    I can only offer condolances ...as I said...I never make posts but I made an exception as in this instance a PSA was warranted. IMHO.
    Best of luck to you.
    LordDragonFly out.

6. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Supporting Member

[​IMG]

7. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Everyone hears different things, I guess. I mean, some people even love the Metal Zone. Ears can be strange things sometimes.

Just curious, but what were you looking for in a drive that led you to the Preamp? What drives have gotten you closest to what you wanted to hear with the guitar and amp you are using now (which weren’t mentioned, so I kinda wonder what they are as well)?

I mean, you could be using an Ovation Breadwinner into a JC-120. That would make almost any drive pedal sound bad, by most accounts. :D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    JokeSmuggler likes this.
  8. JJackson

JJackson Member

I wasn't trying to help (I can tell you don't need it) more just curious as to how a person would produce such unlikable tones using a pedal that most users, myself included, have a great experience with.

If you don't want to share any specific, useful information and would rather just bitch, that's fine too.

AStrangeDay and _marijn_ like this.
  9. JWLee

JWLee Supporting Member

Got my Benson Preamp today. And What I can tell this thing has a sweet overdrive and good EQ. But I can't find this unit as a distortion/fuzz unit.
    Even when the gain turned Fully CW, It's just on overdrive feel, nothing like fuzz ( as Benson's manual says). I have to push volume knob harder to get a gritty gain, but It's not from pedal itself, from amp what I use.
    Don't know 'cause I used it in 5watt small amp, so it might be different on big amp. But the volume knob doesn't seems like master volume of amp.
    Is it normal to have less gain? But the character itself is really sweet.

10. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Wow... that was rude.

11. chasbenson

chasbenson Member

Hi! From what you describe, it sounds like your pedal might have some issues. Happy to take a look at it. Email me info@bensonamps.com and we can set something up...

JWLee, JokeSmuggler, _marijn_ and 4 others like this.
  12. JWLee

JWLee Supporting Member

emailed you!

chasbenson likes this.
  13. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

I was very objective about this pedal when I tried and I was surprised at how easily I could dial in a variety of sounds with it, with several different amps. In fact, this is a pedal I will get a second one of because I may run two on my board set differently.

JJackson and JokeSmuggler like this.
  14. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

So you use it as an amp sim.

JJackson likes this.
  15. placebo62

placebo62 Supporting Member

[​IMG]

16. Jwblanton

Jwblanton Supporting Member

yes sir, with a cab or ir in line.

jimijimmyjeffy likes this.
  17. Scheckenbacker

Scheckenbacker Member

You'll have to educate me on that. Are you suggesting some kind of buffer pedal? The JHS Prestige is labeled a buffer enhancer. Would that count?

18. UrbanHymns

UrbanHymns Supporting Member

Been about 8 months now and I still love this pedal. 95% of the time I'm running it in my Benson Monarch. But I've found it's also my go-to "amp tone" when I need to run direct.

JokeSmuggler likes this.
  19. chasbenson

chasbenson Member

The JHS little black buffer is more what you need tho the prestige would probably be an improvement. Or just a boss pedal...those are all buffered and awesome.

Scheckenbacker and moredirt like this.
  20. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I just ordered a Monarch.

How does the Preamp sound paired with the Monarch? Are you setting the Monarch clean and using the Preamp for gain?

Are these a perfect match or too much of the same thing?

Does the Preamp gain sound the same as the Monarch cranked up?

JokeSmuggler likes this.