Benson's chord solo on Billies Bounce

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by 900, Jul 5, 2006.

1. 900

900 Member

2. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

3. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Yea dude that sounds right.....you should transcribe Herbie's piano solo for guitar on that tune too.......good job on playing it, you caught all the cool inflections!

4. 900

900 Member

Thanks!

Sub-D - yeah, Herbie's playing great, especially his wacky rhythm stuff, but GB just smokes on this tune. Kind of every single note is exactly in the right place, at the right time. Also, how he builds up the tension from bar to bar 'til the chord solo. :AOK

5. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Yea GB at his funkified swinging best for sure. I transcribed this solo back a few years (more then I care to remember) off the l.P. and there was one line that I thought I had a defect in my record, then when I replaced it with
    a cd I heard the same thing sounds like someone puts their hand on the tape reel during one of the turnarounds in GB's solo. you can hear the pitch of all the instruments wobble.....(right around 1:57)
    anyways good job again on that..one of my fave guitar solos ever and how about GB's tone on that?? So cool!
    Ever hear the record he did with jimmy smith I think in the 80's? called off the top There is a blues type solo on there that is just as ridiculous by GB...........

6. 900

900 Member

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, that pitch thing :D.........analog baby, maybe a power surge or something. You definitely don't have these things anymore with todays I/O technology.

I still have or used to have the LP, but I don't have a record player anymore. If I remember right, on the tunes "off the top" and "I'll drink to that" Benson is really smoking....scary stuff.

7. gennation

gennation Member

Sounds like you have. You ought to repost with a backing of it.

That's great that you picked that out. His version of that has floored me since the 70's when I first heard it. What a touch! And, you captured it pretty darn good.

8. 900

900 Member

On the "Body Talk" album, he also plays a real tasty chord solo on "When Love Has Grown". Haven't figured it out yet, but it's the next on my list.