Bergantino Bass Cabinets

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by russ, Jan 14, 2015.

1. russ

russ Supporting Member

I need a new bass amp. I've been looking at these Bergantino bass cabs. Specifically the CN 212. I like the size, weight and the fact it is 4 ohms.
    It costs $1200.
    It has rave reviews etc.
    I'm just trying to talk myself into spending that much for a cab.
    Any experiences with them?
    Help!

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

I haven't played thru that specific cab, but I have played thru the NV610 and NV215... The NV610 is commonly referred to as the SVT810e slayer, and I can't disagree with that in any way - it flat out rocks... Regarding the NV215 - it's one of the best 215s I've ever played thru, and I currently own a Mesa PH215, FWIW... My Mesa puts out stronger lows because it's ported vs the sealed NV215 - but the NV215 is outstanding for what it does...

In short, you can't go wrong with Bergantino, IME/IMO... Hope this helps,

- georgestrings

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

I would also strongly recommend the Mesa PH212 - it's considerably lighter than most Mesa cabs, due to it's neo drivers...

- georgestrings

4. russ

russ Supporting Member

I look into the mesa..
    Thanks!

5. jay42

jay42 Member

I think Jim Bergantino designed the first Aguilar and Epifani cabinets. Used is going to help a bit. If you want the 'modern' sound, it's the way to go. That has neodymium drivers...should last a lifetime.

6. russ

russ Supporting Member

I don't think I'm after the modern sound. I use flat wounds on a passive electronics bass, and I don't 'slap, and pop....

Does that change things as far as pursuing this particular cabinet?
    Thanks!

7. landru64

landru64 Member

it's definitely the modern sound... best of the best in that realm. i grew up with 15's and no tweeter. i play through the EA whizzy stuff and get away with a vintagey sound. the orange 410 cabinet sounds good to me too, but is heavy i think.

8. PCR

PCR Member

Bergs are the best.
    I have 2x HD112. It's all I need to cover small venues to outdoor gigs.

Last weekend, we packed 5 guitars and a drummer on a tight 9 foot stage. We ended up stacking the guitar combos, and my HD112. It worked out perfectly, and my 1x HD112 was plenty to thump the entire bar. In the summer, we play outside about 1/2 the time, and having 2 is plenty.

I would suggest you consider 2x 112. It will cost a few dollars more, but the flexibility is REALLY worth it. Plus, moving two small cabs is much easier than moving one big one.

Good Luck. You'll love your Bergs.

PCR

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  9. russ

russ Supporting Member

PCR,
    What amp are you using?

10. firememo

firememo Member

I have Bergantino's NV215 and NV425 (the 425 being 1x15 and 3x10 in a single enclosure). I can echo georgestrings' opinions: they are excellent cabinets. "NV" stands for "new vintage"; as such, the NV line consists of modern takes on old-style constructions, the most notable feature being sealed cabinets. As mentioned previously, a ported cabinet might sound "bassier," but depending on your style, you might not miss those extra lows (which easily can make your tone and your band's mix muddy). The NVs put out plenty of useful bass and feel "forward" and present.

Considering what you wrote about your physical requirements and your sound, I would suggest looking at Bergantino's NV115. It's a relative newcomer to the line, essentially one half of an NV215 (1x15 and 1x6). The balance between those two speakers is remarkably full-range and even, not what I think of as "modern" (pre-EQed/scooped).

11. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

I've gigged a CN212 extensively since they were released almost 2 years ago. It's a killer cab. Light, small, very loud, and it sounds excellent. I've had zero cab GAS since I got it. I've used mine with SS heads, hybrids, and all tube. It sounds great with anything. I've played outdoor gigs with no PA support and never needed more volume with a loud rock band.

I'm currently running a Genz Benz SMax 12.2 or 9.2 with an active J bass and get compliments on my tone every gig from random people.

12. russ

russ Supporting Member

That's quite an endorsement!
    I'm going to get it. It's hard for me, it's way more than I've ever spent on a spkr cab!
    Thanks

13. PCR

PCR Member

Hey russ,

I run two different head through them depending on my mood. I have a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 and a Gallien-Krueger MB Fusion 800.

Both have tons of clean head room, and I have never needed PA support; except for some feedback through the monitors on large stages. We've played small rooms to big bars and outdoor gigs.

This is my second pair of Bergs. I had a pair of HT112's. Like guitargod0dmw says; after buying my Bergs, I've had zero GAS for cabs. My HS son is also a bass player, and he sneaks my Bergs on his gigs too. :hide2 All of his other bass player friends have cab envy. They're that good.

14. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you plan on getting the cover for it, get it at the time of purchase. That way you won't have to pay shipping charges twice.

15. The Funk

The Funk Member

I played through some early ones. The 3x10 was killer. The only thing I would warn about us that the different series are really quite different. I didn't bond with the NV stuff because it's very old school sounding (in the best way) and I like his more hi fi modern stuff. That said, quality is second to none. They project like crazy and sound amazing.

16. russ

russ Supporting Member

I wound up getting a couple used 1x12 cabinets.an ex112 , and an md 112.
    I haven't used them on a gig yet, but will soon. They're vibrating everything in my garage!