Bergantino Cab Issues

TheAmpNerd

Anyone have any dealings directly with Jim Bergantino about
his products?

I've had some speaker and crossover issues with a product
of his. The original Bergantino speakers in the cabinet were
defective. Mr. Bergantino refused to warranty the original
speaker because I was not the original owner of the cabinet.

I purchased replacement two speakers at retail prices.
One of the replacement speakers appears to be a sample
speaker, it was shipped to me by him in his suppliers box
which was stamped "Sample".

This sample speaker turned about to be defective
when I tested it. Therefore, that speaker was
never installed. I wrote Mr. Bergantino about 1/2
dozen times about this and he consistently avoided
this topic.

The Speaker has been returned to him with delivery
confirmation at the beginning of the month.

I have not heard from Mr. Bergantino about
the speaker issue.

I also received a replacement crossover and
had some issues with it, Mr. Bergantino wasn't very helpful
in trying to solve any of the crossover issues either.

Has anyone had any contact with this man?

Has anyone had any similar problems in trying
to resolve issues with his product?

n.j.

Silver Supporting Member
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Jim, sorry to hear you've had problems. He always answers the phone himself when I call the company, and he's always helpful when we run into trouble. (I work at a shop that carries his products.)

SharkB8

I had a minor problem with my HT322 (corners were damaged somewhere in shipping). I called, Jim answered, and even though it was not his fault (it wasn't drop shipped from him), he sent me out new corners (even though only 2 were cracked), a hat and a cover. I've never heard anything bad from anyone who has dealt with Jim, even out of the hundreds of posts on TalkBass.

C

Cory

I've had zero problems with Jim or his products. He's always been VERY helpful to me. He spent a lot of time with me on the phone when I was looking for a cab (this was when he was first getting started). We talked for a long time about my gear and what style of music I play as well as the volume I'd need. He was spot on!

Sorry to hear about the problems! I can only say great things about him!!

jokerjkny

you might want to try talkbass to see if anyone else has had this problem, but again, i've had nothing but great experiences w/ jim.

btw, what cab did you have? how old is it?

We used to carry Berg's and I actually live close enough to Jim that I got to field test a lot of his proto-types. I've had NOTHING but positive dealings with Jim. I've found him to be fair and actually a pleasure to talk to. I would recommend calling him.

Dr Riddim

I've had NOTHING but positive dealings with Jim. I've found him to be fair and actually a pleasure to talk to. I would recommend calling him.
+1000

Jim's customer service is legendary. To be honest, this is the first time I've ever run into anyone who had a problem with either him or his products. He'll bend over backward to help a customer who has a legitimate problem and a good attitude.

Fezziwig

Yep, I can also vouch for Jim's customer service. Definitely give him a call. I find his cabs are top-notch!

testing1two

Platinum Supporting Member
Anyone have any dealings directly with Jim Bergantino about
his products?

I've had some speaker and crossover issues with a product
of his. The original Bergantino speakers in the cabinet were
defective. Mr. Bergantino refused to warranty the original

I purchased replacement two speakers at retail prices.
One of the replacement speakers appears to be a sample
speaker, it was shipped to me by him in his suppliers box
which was stamped "Sample".

This sample speaker turned about to be defective
when I tested it. Therefore, that speaker was
never installed. I wrote Mr. Bergantino about 1/2
dozen times about this and he consistently avoided
this topic.

The Speaker has been returned to him with delivery
confirmation at the beginning of the month.

I have not heard from Mr. Bergantino about
the speaker issue.

I also received a replacement crossover and
had some issues with it, Mr. Bergantino wasn't very helpful
in trying to solve any of the crossover issues either.

Has anyone had any contact with this man?

Has anyone had any similar problems in trying
to resolve issues with his product?
I am the last guy to stir up stuff here, but I just have to say something. I read this post in Feb and kept quiet as a new member, but there are red flags all over the original post and it's made to look as if the blame should fall on Jim Bergantino. Thankfully, Jim's reputation is beyond question in the bass community, even though he isn't everybody's best friend.

Problem 1 - the OP bought a used Bergantino cabinet with two bad speakers and a bad crossover...really? I hope it was a great deal.

Problem 2 - After making such a prudent purchase, he then thought that it would somehow be a warranty issue...really? BTW, there's a difference between "defective" and "broken" and manufacturers aren't responsible for fixing the latter. Blown speakers and crossovers are almost always a function of use and abuse, not materials or manufacturing defects.

Problem 3 - OP buys 2 brand new speakers and a brand new crossover and 2 of the 3 components are bad....really? This is either some of the worst luck I've ever seen or the repairs are not being done by a qualified tech.

Problem 4 - OP writes 6 or more emails and lengthy posts on gear forums, but won't make 1 phone call...really? Passive aggressive at its finest.

We've all bought boutique gear used at times because it allows us to have a superior product that we typically couldn't afford to buy new (FWIW, that's how I bought my first two HT322's). However, the idea that we are somehow entitled to the same customer experience (and warranty) as someone who buys new is just ridiculous. Jim is an incredibly honest and gracious guy and gives alot of his time to folks who buy his products on the secondary market even though he could just defer them to a dealer. But he doesn't, and his reputation reflects this.

All that to say this: if you want a warranty from Bergantino, buy new Bergantino products. The more we support guys like Jim, the better the world will sound and the happier the bass community will be.

Sorry for the rant...

cyberbob9

I have also has no response from Bergantino in regards to finding a replacement speaker or information as to what to expect from an older HT112 as opposed to a new HT112. I am looking for a replacement if that is what is needed and did not get a reply after a week, as those who say his reply was almost instsant. I think Mr. Jim thinks we are trying to take advantage of him instead of solving our problem. I don't intend to chase him down.

cyberbob9

I think the attack on theampnerd is unreasonable. He never asked for a warranty replacement for his speaker, he bought it, as I would intend to do. He was sent a speaker which tested bad and should have received attention. He didn't. Bergantino is a good product, but no one is God or infallible.

n.j.

Silver Supporting Member
Did you email or call? If you call, it's invariably Jim who answers the phone. I've never emailed, but I know that when someone emails me, it's easy to have the message sink towards the bottom of the inbox quickly.

Just call them, I've never dealt with a company with better customer service or a higher quality product. 508.234.4195

As for the new HT112ER vs. the older/smaller HT112: the new one almost gets the low end of a 1x15", while retaining the speed of a 12". The old one is great for the size and weight, but the new one will have extended low end and a fatter overall sound.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Mr. Bergantino refused to warranty the original
I think the attack on theampnerd is unreasonable. He never asked for a warranty replacement for his speaker, he bought it, as I would intend to do. He was sent a speaker which tested bad and should have received attention. He didn't. Bergantino is a good product, but no one is God or infallible.
in the first case, it sure reads like the OP tried to get warranty service on something he didn't buy new.

in the second case, yes, he should absolutely be getting better treatment on what he did buy new, that replacement speaker.

+1 though, to smaller makers like this not often being big email guys (they never have time). a phone call stands a much bigger chance of actually making it to jim's attention in the first place.

Robal

Silver Supporting Member
Does Bergantino support discontinued cabs, like the HT322? I am thinking of picking up one but I will pass if I can't get support (which I would pay for), such as recone or replacement speakers. These drivers are specialized, I believe, so I could have problems repairing them with off the shelf components. Any advise appreciated.

LarryNJ

Does Bergantino support discontinued cabs, like the HT322? I am thinking of picking up one but I will pass if I can't get support (which I would pay for), such as recone or replacement speakers. These drivers are specialized, I believe, so I could have problems repairing them with off the shelf components. Any advise appreciated.
No one answered you? Best advice ever, tho:

Call Jim Bergantino at his shop; he'll know- (obviously) and based on my conversation with him after I bought my HS410, he'll help.

That cabinet is supreme by the way, and Jim is a great asset to the bass gear community- He is dedicated to the TONE!

Trending Topics