Best 1 -2 OD punch for a BF Fender?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TimH, Feb 18, 2008.

1. TimH

TimH Member

I really love the tones of my Bandmaster Reverb amp but I'm not really liking how my Fulldrive is sounding...compared to the natual tone of my amp it's not nearly as full. The RC Booster is excellent and if I could find that tone with just a bit more compression and gain then I'd more than likely be very happy.

So my question for today is...what 2 pedals make your cleanish machine of a Fender the rig that you need?

2. Twin63

Twin63 Member

Right now it's the Addrock NSOY (at 18v) and the Lovekraft Mojo Drive. I was using the NSOY for low / low-med gain and the MD for higher gain (TS setting), but just changed to using the MD on the boost setting with some gain added for a really nice bluesy breakup and the NSOY for med / higher gain stuff.

I really like the Mojo Drive. I sounds like an extension of my amp. I may end up adding a 2nd Mojo Drive to my board. Not that the NSOY isn't good, the MD just seems to "fit" with my rig.

BTW, I'm running a G&L Legacy > Gries 5 (blackface tonestack)

3. wleeds

wleeds Member

If I had to gig with just 2 OD pedals and a DRRI, I would use my Barber LTD-SR for lo-med gain and my Barber Small Fry for higher gain stuff.
    :D
    m

4. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

keeley bd2 ---> keeley 808

5. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

An awesome selection for sure.

6. TimH

TimH Member

hrmm very cool picks so far...the Barber pedals have always intrigued me but I've never bought them...and the BD-2 is high on my list. I can say with a fair amount of certainly that I'm looking for something a bit different than a stock or modded TS...I don't want to change my tone that much.

7. giggedy

giggedy Member

8. wleeds

wleeds Member

I just pmed you with a link to some Barber samples.
    mark

9. wleeds

wleeds Member

Tim,
    The LTD-SR is fairly flat EQ, it sounds like your amp only tighter and livelier, you can still had some gain. Ltd V2 has a nice clear bottom, more mids than the other LTD's and overall wider spectrum than any of the TS's or variants that I've tried anyways. The V2 has as much gain as an Analogman Silver mod Ts-9. All of the BARBER pedals that I've tried seem like they where built for Fender amps. The LTD's act like an extension as opposed to an additive(?).
    m

10. thetone

thetone Member

Tim > Zen or new Eternity Burst.

I use the Tim for just a little hair if I can't crank the BFPR too much. The Zen or Eternity more for solos.

11. giggedy

giggedy Member

Where do you set your Zen's gain when you have it after the Tim? I'll have to try this later. I use single coil's if that makes a difference.

12. TimH

TimH Member

Great playing man! Thanks a bunch. Could you compare the gain on the LTD to that of an RC Booster? I really like the RC but wish it had a bit more gain to it...it sounds as thought the v2 is similar to the RC...is that accurate...your tone just more?

13. wleeds

wleeds Member

I find LTD's have more amp shape to them than the RC. The LTD's have a lot more gain and an overall wider eq range. They are also touch sensitive in that when you dig in they work extra hard. LTD-SR has the flattest EQ.
    To make them even more versatile you can order them with a mod board which allows you to dial in exactly what you want though the tone stacks are different on all 3.
    I sold my Zendrive and Eternity and stuck with an SR and V2. I gig in all types of situations with these and they have never left me wanting more.
    m

14. TimH

TimH Member

no bass loss?

15. wleeds

wleeds Member

None! And, you can tweak them to your taste with internal trim pots. There is one for bass and one for presence.
    The SR sounds like your guitar.

They are the best kept secret. If they where priced the way some others are, they would be constantly hyped and in higher demand.:worried
    And, they're way more affordable.
    m

16. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Maxon SD-9 into Lovepedal Eternity. I also have a Roger Mayer Voodoo-1 after the Eternity as well for added tones.

17. playon

playon Supporting Member

One good-sounding tube screamer variant + one good sounding crunchier pedal. In another words, one pedal to give a sort of American blues tone, and one to give you more of the Brit rock thing. And of course you can combine to taste. A stock or modded TS-9, TS808 reissue, is good. For the the more aggressive stuff, the MI Audio crunch pedal gets good reviews... I'm still searching for the perfect brit sounding pedal myself. These are the cheapo suggestions. You can spend a lot more money than this to get maybe a 15% improvent

18. 89strat

89strat Member

That's pretty much what I've been using with my deluxe reverb. Sparkle drive for my ts-9 sound with a heavier overdrive/distortion before it which would be a crunch box, rat, ocd, whatever mood I'm in that day.

19. FuzzOff

FuzzOff Member

+1. The Mojo Drive sounds as if it was built for a BF Fender. Sounds like heaven through my Fender Super Reverb.

20. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I love my Throbak Overdrive Boost more and more each time I play through it. It really nails the 70's Beck and Page tones through my Carvin, But through a Custom Vibrolux it is absolute tonal heaven for low to medium-gain overdrive. $220 but sooo worth it! When I played it through the Vibrolux, it felt like an extension of my heart to my hands and to the amp. I'm saving up for the Vibrolux for just that reason. I don't know how it sounds through the Bandmaster, but thought it was worth mentioning.