Best 10" speaker for Tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chillytc, Jan 29, 2012.

1. chillytc

chillytc Member

First, let me say that I have searched through all the old threads on this subject but I am hungry for more opinions.

I have a tweed super (Victoria 35210) coming my way and I want to make it into all it can be.

It seems that we are spoiled for good choices for British speakers but there is just no consensus around speakers for Fender amps, perhaps especially when it comes to 10s. Webers, Jensens, Eminence, all seem to have equal numbers of fans and detractors.

In my search for a Scumback equivalent in this realm (IMHO there is a consensus that Jim's speakers rock for British applications), I have come across the WGS G10A alnicos and WGS G10C ceramic as possibilities but I have to confess I am unsure after hearing the two online demos that I have found.

So, I turn to you, my TGP brethren, to seek your counsel and experience. What 10s have you LOVED in a tweed circuit that I should check out?

2. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I've got the same amp, though mine's an old one -- from 1996. It came with two Eminence made MojoTone MP10Rs, but I've tried several different speakers over the years.

As you've gleaned, there's no clear consensus. I just wrote out some of my experiences in another thread yesterday:

I have a tweed Super (Victoria 35210) not a Bassman, but I'll share my experiences. I've played with Eminence speakers for a long time -- the blue frames, the old Mojotone MP10Rs and the Legend 1028s. These are all pretty much the same speaker as far as I can tell, and they all sound fantastic.

I also used a Weber pair for a while -- a 10A125 and a 10A150. That was pretty nice too, but I think the 10A150 was too loud, too quick, and in general too overpowering. I returned them to Weber minus a 25% processing fee. I just felt that though good speakers, they weren't quite as much to my liking as the Eminences.

This past week I bought a used, supposedly broken-in pair of Jensen reissue P10Rs and I've been having fun experimenting with these. These are more different from the other two brands than the Webers and Eminences are from each other. These really compress a lot and they sound absolutely wonderful when played at a pushed-but-semiclean level. When they overdrive completely, they get very brash and kind of brassy sounding. Kind of harsh. I tend to think that these really are closer to vintage Jensens than the other brands. That doesn't mean they're better, but they definitely are very, well, "vintage-y" in sound and feel.

If smooth overdrive is what you're after, my vote is for the blue frames or Legends. It may be that the basket shape for those speakers (which look more like a British basket) helps them in this department. Personally, I'm enjoying the Jensens for the time being, but it's possible I may switch back to the Eminences at some point. There's something almost addicting though about the way these Jensens sound clean. It's a very shimmery, 3-D sound. And the way they compress is awesome too. They may just be a little too raw for my taste though when they're fully overdriven. I'm hoping they smooth out some.

---

I've never tried any WGS's, but check the following video(s) out. It's some dude from WGS conducting a shootout of Jensen P10Rs against a few other speakers. If you go to the actual Youtube page, you'll see the other videos. Personally, in these clips I think the Jensen is the clear winner (though I haven't yet listened to the clip pitting the Jensen against the vintage CTS's), and this despite the fact that WGS is trying to demonstrate how self-evidently superior their speakers are.

The main thing is, CONGRATULATIONS on getting a 35210. It is an incredible music-making machine!

Adding... the more I play these Jensens, the more I think I'm going to stick with them. I really am loving them!

3. chillytc

chillytc Member

Thanks - that was a super informative response! I saw the video you posted (one of two I found on the WGS G10s) and I kind of agree that, despite the narrator's efforts to promote the WGS, the Jensens generally sounded better. That said, he acknowledged there was a big volume difference between the Jensens and the WGS's and that his limiter was kicking in hard on the WGS's and not triggering on the Jensens and my experience with compressor/limiters leads me to believe that the post-limiter recording may not be a fair shoot out. Compressors (limiters) can SERIOUSLY alter tone (to the better with a good unit used well and seriously to the detriment with a bad unit or if not dialed in well). So I don't really know what to think about the WGS's . . .

And thanks for the kudos on the 35210 - I've seen a bunch of posts from you about this amp and you definitely moved my hand in picking this one!

T

4. buddyrama

buddyrama Supporting Member

Congrats on your new amp! You are gonna love it. I currently have the WGS smooth cone ceramic ten in my 35210. It came with the Jensen alnico, which I swapped for Weber alnico Blue Dogs and now the ceramic WGS. I think all these speakers worked equally well, but I find the ceramic smooth cone more versatile. I like tweed clean and the ceramics do it very well with humbuckers. But, my amp guy played his Les Paul with CR ?, I think pickups through the Blue Dogs and got some great sounds that I never got through this amp. I think the super is the primo tweed amp and alot of speakers will shine in it, like I'm starting to think /hope for a ten inch version of the new Eminence EJ speaker. I'll stop now as I am spinning out into speaker frenzy. All of the above IMHO, of course. Hope this helps.

5. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Er, you mean the **** I spout here has actually influenced somebody... to buy something? This might end badly.

(It's a great amp. Enjoy it!)

6. chillytc

chillytc Member

Ha! Don't feel too much pressure - I had a Victoria 20112 that I loved but it didn't have quite enough headroom and I'm mostly a humbucker/P90 player and noticed the 5e3 preferred single coils to some extent. So I took Mark Baier's advice about the 35210 being better with humbuckers into account, as well as the undisputed view that this amp has more headroom than a deluxe. I've played real vintage tweed supers before, although not a Victoria 35210, but i'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting and psyched to get it. I just want it at it's best. The one i'm getting has eminence's on board but the seller had the original Jensens and included them in the sale. So I've got those options and i'm wondering if there is a better choice - I know these tweed amps are sensitive to tube and speaker switches and both the eminences and Jensens have their share of haters. I'll probably try both but would love to find something that is a no compromise win speaker if it's out there.

7. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

Mine came with the eminence ceramics in it and they were pretty good but, the high end was too bright for me. I put a set of Naylor 1040's ceramics in and have been really happy with them. Tight lows, nice mids, and smooth highs. The 1040's are very balanced between lows, mids, and highs. They're made to be like a heavy duty Jensen and I think they sound like a well worn in set of Jensen ceramics. They were excellent in my vibrolux reverb too.

8. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I think that the Victoria's are comming with Legend 105's. This has always been my favorite speaker because it captures the tweed sound, with later breakup than alnico speakers. That way you hear more of the power tube overdrive.

9. amp boy

amp boy Member

i have Weber S speakers in my 5E7 clone, sounds good to me.

10. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

I'd try the Weber Legacy 10s (now what were these being made as just a while ago...? ;) ), Fane 10-75 (or the Axa10 should you have the money) or possibly the 10" Celestions

11. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

I've tried lots of 10's in my Victoria Ivy League. Mark is correct on the reissue Jensens, they sound great, but need about 50 hours of break in time, then they really shine. The Warehouse guitar G10A was very warm for my tastes. The Weber 10A150T was very loud and quick as stated above. I currently have a Weber 10A125 in it, which I really like. I had 10A125's in my Victoria 35310 as well, which I really liked. So, I think 10A125's are about my favorite 10" speaker. Dont knock the reissue Jensen p10r'S IF YOU HAVE THE PATIENCE TO BREAK THEM IN THOUGH. tHE 10a125'S ARE THICKER SOUNDING THAN THE p10r'S. Sorry about the caps.

pressure likes this.
  12. sideman

sideman Member

I was going to suggest asking Mark Baier at Victoria Amp for advice. About 10 years ago I picked-up a used Victoria Bassman that someone had put ceramic speakers into. When I consulted with him he recommended Jensen RI P10Rs. I bought a quad and loved them. I gig alot so breaking them in wasn't an issue (and it didn't take that long anyway). Several friends use Fender Bassman RI amps, also with the RI P10Rs, and they sound great in that amp too. Remember that the old Jensen P10R was a lightlly built AlNiCo - like the RI.

13. Onioner

Onioner Member

I have a 10A100 for the little Tweeds and I haven't felt the need to even try another speaker since I got it. That's saying something, 'cause generally I gotta fiddle. It's just been my perfect speaker for the little Tweeds.

What wattage is your amp? Do you want the American voiced thing, or do ya wanna head off the beaten path?

14. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Webers...one 10F125 and one 10A100T (make sure to get the T!) and get 'em both with very light doping.

Last set of speakers you'll ever need for a 2x10 tweed

15. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

If you're going to use the amp without an OD pedal then go with the Weber 30 watt 10A125's.

If you're using any kind of OD then a pair of Celestion greenback 10's.

16. chillytc

chillytc Member

Lots of great suggestions. I am struck, though, that there is really no semblance of consensus. I don't think I have the patience to try everything that's been suggested, although I'd love to. Hmmmm. I guess I'll have better luck once I get the amp and hear particular speakers and see what I want more or less of based on a starting point. I can ask smarter questions than what is "best" then.

Thanks everyone.

17. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Which Eminences does the 35210 currently have in it?

18. mds

mds Member

Anyone rock a Gold? I have a Gold 10" in my attic I've been meaning to shove in my Clark but Ive never gotten around to it. I currently have a 10A150t (I think). Sounds great.

19. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

What Clark are you talking about?

20. sideman

sideman Member

If you have the time and the bread, the best way to figure this out is to try the options yourself. It's a pretty subjective thing, and alot of variables go into the calculus. Buy used, so you can sell without taking a beating.