Best 10" speaker for Tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chillytc, Jan 29, 2012.

1. chillytc

chillytc Member

This particular amp has a Legend (don't know which particular one yet but will once it's in my hands, hopefully tomorrow) and a Ragin' Cajun.

2. mds

mds Member

Beaufort Special.

3. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

I love the Weber 10A125 in a couple of amps I have them in. Neither of them are tweed amps (a '63 VVRI and a new PRRI) but I love the sound. I think it would work great in a tweed amp. In the Princeton Reverb the 10A125 pushes it into a tweed Deluxe sounding region which I like a lot. The 10A125 definitely what I would start with if loading a tweed cabinet.

4. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Huh, I'm curious too. I've got the same amp, and while I don't really mind the Jensens in there I've always felt I might like something else better. Love the Greenback/Gold combo in my Vibrolux, but I'm not sure that's the best way to go for the tweed.

I think you're never going to get a consensus with tweeds though. Too many people playing too many different guitars into them for too many different styles of music for everyone to agree. My natural inclination is that no matter what you're doing with the amp, you'll benefit from mixing two mismatched speakers.

5. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

sounds like mds has Clarks version of a Tweed Harvard, a Webster, I believe, not a Beaufort. Beauforts have 12" speakers. I didn't care for the 10" Gold in my Victoria Ivy League, its currently in a closet. Alnicos have a softer sweeter sound, ceramics generally have a tighter, punchier, not as sweet sound, in general terms.

6. mds

mds Member

Oh, my mistake, it is a 12, I just remembered wrong. It is indeed a Beaufort and my Gold is also a 12 inch. Sorry about that!

7. sideman

sideman Member

I used a quad of Weber 10A125s in a '64 Super Reberb for six months or so. Didn't care for them. In addition to being very heavy (the amp needed casters), they were too bright and resisted overdrive. Didn't sound they way I liked until screaming loud. Sold them and laid in some vintage CTS.

8. tnt365

tnt365 Member

The Valvetrain Lexington Reverb is based on a Tweed Princton (with added reverb), and it comes stock with an Eminence Ramrod. I think its a perfect match, tight bass, warm mids and smooth highs.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  9. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

There's no such thing as a tweed Princeton Reverb...

10. tnt365

tnt365 Member

Pretty much what I was told from Valvetrain was that it is voiced like a Tweed Princeton. I wasn't aware that Tweed Princeton amps didn't come stock with reverb, though it makes sense. I'm not an expert on vintage Fenders by any means, but still believe that the Eminence Ramrod fits well with that "Tweed" Style amp.

11. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Jensen P10R reissues are my faves, just allow them to break in and all will be right with the world. I have them in my Vicky 45410 and Vicky 35310. I use the Jensen RI P12Q and C12N in my Vicky Double Deluxe and Jensen RI P12Q 5E3 kit amp, and my big hoss, the Vicky 80212 runs a pair of Jensen RI P12N's, and that is a GLORIOUS tone.

I tried Weber's 10A125's and didn't like em, heavy speakers and very, very stiff sounding and dark. I also didn't care for the 12A125-O's for live playing. I did like his 10A100's in a Fender RI Bassman, because it helped knock some of the bright off that circuit.

12. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Chillytc, I saw in another thread that you have the 35210.

What are your thoughts?

13. chillytc

chillytc Member

I'm really digging it. I should note that I ended up putting P10Rs in it. It had a couple of Eminence's in it when I bought it (Ragin Cajun and a Legend) and the Jensens are a bit sweeter and more compressed to my ear. They seem to better match the vintage mojo of the amp.

So my 35210 has a 5AR4 in it which makes it a bit louder and tighter I think (haven't swapped in a 5U4 to compare, though). This amp is plenty loud - I can't imagine needing to step up to a tweed twin or a bassman, although those are both glorious amps. For me, the sweet spot on this amp is to jumper the channels, turn the treble and presence down a bit and to turn the bass up, running the volumes still in their clean range and then hit it with a fuzz or boost if I want more dirt (although the amp definitely colors the dirt - the way I'm playing it it isn't just a neutral platform).

I used to have a 20112 and loved that amp too - these Victoria tweed amps seem to have a real personality to them and a really organic response. They're the kind of amp that I feel like I'm playing as an instrument itself, if you know what I mean. And I love how light and portable it is.

pressure likes this.
  14. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

Glad you're digging it. I concur, I concur, I concur. They are very much instruments unto themselves. Makes for a very different playing experience. I'm really liking the Jensens in mine too -- I think they make the amp a bit less versatile; but they add that beautiful, musical compression that I love. They're also a little harsh when pushed hard, but I'm findind that I like that brassy bite that they have. After a gig the other night, I was complimented by a couple of people on the guitar sound. That never happens to me (I don't play specifically guitar oriented music).

I dial mine in a little differently than you do. I play LOUD with the band. I usually have the channels jumpered and I crank the volumes to 9 or 10; I blast the treble to about 10; bass has to be down at these volumes or the speakers don't hold together, so it's down at 3 or 4; presence maybe halfway up. I control it all from my guitar. Even with the guitar volume dimed, I can play softly and cleanly at these levels simply by playing softly. I also ride the volume knob a lot. It's a whole different kind of approach and I base my entire sound around it now. I play with a couple of delay pedals, and I have a Dynacomp (set [mostly] as a boost) on at all times. I'm pretty happy with my sound.

15. chillytc

chillytc Member

Interesting that you're using the dynamics of your playing and your guitar's volume to control the level of overdrive and you also have a compressor on all the time. I guess you have the compression (or ratio or whatever it is on that unit - I don't know the dynacomp) pretty low. I imagine you get a HUGE sound running the amp that way. I'll have to give that a try. For what it's worth, I've found the 35210 and the 20112 both bonded really well with my Klon clone (Stigtronics Tone Vitamin) run as a boost.

16. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I play with the "sensitivity" knob all the way off, though it still squishes a little, and the level all the way up. What I find running it this way is that first of all, I like the sound. Secondly though, and more importantly, it keeps the volume level higher when I turn down my guitar volume. In essence it allows me (somehow) to utilize a louder clean sound than I would otherwise be able to achieve.

Thanks for the tip on the Klon clone. I've been looking into maybe ditching the Dynacomp for a regular boost of some kind, maybe a Klon clone or maybe a Sex Drive type pedal. I'm in no hurry though as I like the sound I'm getting.

17. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Hm. I haven't had the chance to monkey with my 35210 much as it's been on loan most of the time I've owned it (and still is) to the other guitar player in my band. But I get to hear it every night... I wonder if he'll chime in, because he's spent an ungodly amount of time tweaking around with it to see what sounds best. It's nice that when I get it back I'll have a source to tell me how best to use it, so I won't have to go figure it all out myself. Plus, I get to hear it every night. F-ing heavenly sounding amp, no doubt.

18. frank4001

frank4001 Member

These are really nice if you can find them....
    I bought 4 a while ago and had a cab made. Really like them. I think alot of people bought them and probably never got around to using them so maybe post a WTB in the Emporium.... Took maybe a half a gig to break in nice... They were like 4 for 80.00 bucks and some shipping at the time I think...

http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_vintage10.html

19. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I hope he chimes in -- I'd love to hear from him.

20. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Haha. I've had those. Awesome speakers for a tweed. I was looking at grabbing another pair so I could mix one with a P10R, but then I sort of fizzled out on that. I put a pair in with a pair of P10Rs in a Bassman LTD and they killed. Put the second pair in the bottom half of a 45410, and it killed. Stands to reason one of them with one P10R in the 35210 might be a nice choice. I just wish I could stop buying all this stupid ****.

I also wish I could get a 10" Scumback for the amp, but oh well. Closest I can do to that is a Weber Legacy 10, and the way that whole thing went down doesn't exactly sit right with me.