Best 10" speaker for Tweed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chillytc, Jan 29, 2012.

1. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i had the THD's in myne for a while, and while they sounded killer every time i would use IEM i would HATE the speaker breakup on my clean tone (i run pretty hot, but i want my cleans CLEAN). ended up swapping to eminence and they're solid. but all in all i think the jensons i got rid of were probably the best match overall for hte amp :/

2. frank4001

frank4001 Member

Well this stuff can get a little crazy... fun though...

3. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

undead thread...some really useful info here though so I thought I'd re-animate

I finally have my first real tweed (Marsh Vibro-King, a tweed Harvard/Vibrolux) and am not 100% down with the speaker (Emi Legend). Dig the cleans but am finding the breakup kinda harsh.

4. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

in this same quandary, but for a Victoria Ivy League. Currently have a P10R in it but it doesn't seem to play all that well with overdrives.

5. ES330

ES330 Member

Jensen MOD 10-70

6. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I know, it is ceramic and British-voiced... But my favorite 10" for tweeds is the Eminence RF10C, which is a 10" Red Fang but with a ceramic magnet. They are very affordable, and I just couldn't imagine someone disliking this speaker!

7. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I've got a Weber 10a125 in my Ivy League and I like it a lot. It's a good all around speaker in that amp.

8. whatdisay

today I tried out the three 10" speakers I had readily on hand: the Celestion Ten 30 that came with my '68 Custom Princeton Reverb, the Eminence Legend that came with my Ivy League and the used P10R I bought off a guy on Reverb. Sticking with the P10R for now but I wish the crunch when the amp is dimed was a little less spikey. I don't like smooth overdrive but I like a nice, even crunch. I do like the clarity and punch of it on lower volumes or with the amp dimed and guitar volume dialed back a bit. The Ten 30 had a nice punch to it but when dimed the overdrive had a character that was lacking to my ears. Eminence was the darkest and lowest volume of the 3, to my ears.

9. whatdisay

Just bought a Jupiter 10SC online. Will report back.