Best 10" speaker to nail Blackface tone!!

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
I like what Weber has. I have two 25 watt 10A150's and two THD designed 10's in mine and they sound great together. I would like to try the EV 10M's with the Webers, but they don't come up for sale very often.

I also have two more of the THD's in the parts emporium. Just sayin'.

karmadave

Silver Supporting Member
I've always liked CTS Alnico speakers in Super Reverbs. Weber makes a version of this speaker, called the CTA10.

just ken

Kendrick Blackframes.

I'll confess I didn't audition all sorts of speakers, mine came loaded with them, loved the tone and have never felt the need to go searching for something different.

Timinator

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Blackface '67 Super and have tried the CTS's, Oxfords (and a mix of both) and now I use 2 original C10Q's and 2 original C10P's. It's a step above the CTS's or the Oxfords tone wise IMO, at least for the tone in my head.

Timinator

Silver Supporting Member
I've used Copperheads, Ragin Cajun's and Ramrods and a mix of all of them in Vibrolux's and Super Reverbs and they sound great, but I don't think they reproduce "the blackface" tone as well as good Jensens do.

therhodeo

I've used Copperheads, Ragin Cajun's and Ramrods and a mix of all of them in Vibrolux's and Super Reverbs and they sound great, but I don't think they reproduce "the blackface" tone as well as good Jensens do.
What was your favorite mix?

Morgan24

The original C10Q and C10P are both ceramic speakers? Heard that the Jensen C10R also ceramic is the best original Super Reverb speaker. Oxford speakers are the worst.

Timinator

Silver Supporting Member
What was your favorite mix?

Honestly, they all sound pretty good but a bit different than each other. The newer Eminence speakers in any combination have more head room than the original CTS's or Oxfords. I "think" the sweet spot of the original speakers is very narrow compared to the newer Emi's, but the original sweet spots are a bit better, if that makes any sense? I like the Jensens best of all. My first choice would be all original C10N's, but they are harder than hell to find. Second choice is C10P's then the C10Q's. The mix I have now with 2 Q's and 2 P's in the Super is really, really good. I have 2 C10N's in my Vibrolux and that is better than any of the Emi's I've tried. I only have 3 8ohm C10N's and 1 in 16ohm so I've never tried all C10N's in my Super, but I'm sure that would sound great. I think original C10P's are the closest to the original C10N sound wise. I have never bought or tried any vintage Jensen Vibranto's but I've read they are suppose to be C10N's with screw on terminals but they sure look more different than just that. I've not tried any of the new Webers either. I've only heard good things about them but I've not tried them myself. Someday.

My favorite "blackface" sound, other than the C10n's, is the 15" JBL in Vibroverbs. Buy a single 15" extension cab and put one of those in it. It does the Blackface tone better than most all other speakers I've ever tried and it does it over a much broader range of volume all the way up to really, friggin' loud.

Last edited:

Bob Arbogast

Gold Supporting Member
In the Vibrolux Reverb I just built, I hear nothing but blackpanel goodness from an Eminence Legend 1058 paired with a new Jensen C10Q.

Bob Arbogast

Last edited:

Morgan24

Jensen C10Q are great and cheap. But I do not think they nail the Vintage blackface tone, they are a bit to raspy.

Trending Topics