Best 10" Speakers for a 59 Bassman Reissue

DAB

I recently put the new TAD 6l6s in my Bassman and a GZ34 rectifier. It sounds great except after turning it up past about 5 the Jensen speakers it came with really "flub" out.

I have a couple of EMI Legend 105s in a 2x10 cab that I really love with my Bruno Super and my TR Custom. I am wondering if that would be the best replacement type speaker.

Recent threads have mentioned the new EMI 10" speakers and some others (I believe something being made for Derek Trucks).

I would appreciate your opinions to help me decide on what to use to replace the Jensens.

Thanks.....DAB

KLB

Dave,
I am glad you like the TAD 6L6 with 5AR4.
Did you do a rebias?

I spoke with Mark Bartel of Tone King yesterday. He likes the Emi Copperhead 10 for the Bassman and early Super Reverb tone. That is what Emi recommended to him. He tried nearly every 10" they make and liked those the best.

We need to get together soon!

Cheers,
Ken

mountain blues

Supporting Member
If you want to go the traditional Bassman AlNiCo speaker route, the Weber P10R (10A100) or P10Q (10A125) is a fantastic speaker. They are a big improvement over the Jensen P10R RI's that come with the Bassman RI — especially with the P10Q, you won't hear any of that flub you don't like. You will get the sweet vintage AlNiCo compression when you push them hard. Clark Amps uses the Weber P10Q now in their amps, rather than the 50's style P10R he was using for quite a while.

To the best of my knowledge, all the other speakers being mentioned — the Legend 105 (a killer speaker for Super Reverbs), the Copperhead and the DT10 — are ceramic speakers.

All depends on what kind of tone and breakup you're looking for out of your speakers.

DAB

Originally posted by KLB
Dave,
I am glad you like the TAD 6L6 with 5AR4.
Did you do a rebias?

We need to get together soon!

Cheers,
Ken
Ken,

I don't think my Bassman has the ability to be rebiased. I may be wrong about that but I thought that was one of the primary differences between the standard RI and the LTD.

I would like to get mine rebiased if you know a way to do that.

Absolutely let's get together ASAP.

Dave

DAB

Originally posted by mountain blues

All depends on what kind of tone and breakup you're looking for out of your speakers.
Geoff,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I am looking for Hendrix/SRV kind of cleans and enough smooth overdrive to support a TS9 or other similar stombox properly.

Dave

KLB

Originally posted by DAB
Ken,

I don't think my Bassman has the ability to be rebiased. I may be wrong about that but I thought that was one of the primary differences between the standard RI and the LTD.

I would like to get mine rebiased if you know a way to do that.

Absolutely let's get together ASAP.

Dave
I assumed that your Bassman had a bias pot.
If not, we can put one in it so the bias can be adjusted.
This way you can optimize for each set of tubes.

I'll call you.

- Ken

mountain blues

Supporting Member
Originally posted by DAB
Geoff,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I am looking for Hendrix/SRV kind of cleans and enough smooth overdrive to support a TS9 or other similar stombox properly.

Dave

With those tones in mind, I think I'd look at the DT10's that CliffC has been telling us about. When someone with Cliff's experience — as well as Ted Weber — says these are one of the greatest 60's–style 10's ever made, I'm perking up my ears, for sure.

I have two P10Q's and two C10Q's in my Custom Super Reverb (which has a Bassman channel in it), which is a magical tone to work with, though there are times when the AlNiCo compression caves in a tad too much for me. Overall, for what I play now, it is fine, but if I wanted to go heavier and louder, I'd get four ceramics, and at this point, I'd try the DT10's (available through Lord Valve).

Loop-Master

Can't remember the gentleman's name at Weber..Ted? Anyway, email them with your tone specifics and they'll recommend something for you.

MK.II

I like the reissue Jensen P10Qs in the RI Bassman. My tech also really likes them, in his original '58 Bassman.

TheAmpNerd

Who makes the DT-10s?

I've got the legend 105s in my bassman
and they sound great.

I've also heard them in BF Supers and
in vibroluxs and they also sound great.

If you've got the money get some of the
brown sound Hemp cone 10s. I've had great
results with them as well.

Good luck and keep us informed.

The DT-10s are made by Weber exclusively for Lord Valve. They
were based off the schematics for the old Pyle 10" speakers.
This is the speaker you hear in Derek Trucks' Super Six amp
and in his Super Reverb amps. The folks at Weber will recommend
you to this speaker if you tell them that you want the best
vintage style 50's/60's 10" speaker available.

You can call Lord Valve (Willie) at: 303-778-1156

DAB

Originally posted by TheAmpNerd
Who makes the DT-10s?

I've got the legend 105s in my bassman
and they sound great.

I've also heard them in BF Supers and
in vibroluxs and they also sound great.

If you've got the money get some of the
brown sound Hemp cone 10s. I've had great
results with them as well.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Can you describe your tone with the 105s in your Bassman? I know its subjective but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I assume your are talking about Tone Tubby's when you mention the hemp cones. How do they differ in tone from the 105s?

Dave

radialaced

Originally posted by CliffC
The DT-10s are made by Weber exclusively for Lord Valve. They
were based off the schematics for the old Pyle 10" speakers.
This is the speaker you hear in Derek Trucks' Super Six amp
and in his Super Reverb amps.
the DT's sound interesting.

Did you know the Pyle speakers are still available for $45, (Pyle MH1020).

Trending Topics